WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Rifle Trigger ?

Boolit Master

Electronic Rifle Trigger ?

I am messing around I admit , I plan on making 1 at least

I am ( So far most of the design is just on paper ) designing a 9mm bullpup rifle
    I have some of it 3D printed for testing of ideas
    As making test parts from PLA is cheap

I will also admit this design is taking a while with my headaches

So far I plan on a 16 1/2" threaded barrel
    26 1/2" OAL
    Takes Glock mags
    Hammer , sear and pistol grip from a AR15 as I have them
    But I may change the the sear and hammer to AK47 parts as I have them also
    I need to do a bunch of testing as to what to use

Most of the bolt mass and the main spring will be in front of the chamber and above the barrel

BUT so far the sticking point is giving the rifle a decent trigger pull
    I made a mock up of the stock to try and get a decent trigger pull
    Mushy and long was the best I have gotten so far

I figured I should address this BEFORE I start cutting the parts for the action

I had a thought , as I have seen them in high end rifles
    A electronic rifle trigger

Are electronic triggers doable for a hobby maker ?
    Or should I just work out a reasonable trigger linkage ?

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Moderator Emeritus

Better check laws pertaining to electronic trigger actuators...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Remington made one years ago it didn’t last long. Never saw one in person. I think they called it the E trigger. Think it was around 02’ or so?

Interesting.

I try to minimize things like that (especially on guns) so I'd have one less battery to worry about dying.
    However; it seems do-able with off the shelf micro switches & stuff.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I’m with Ed. I would assume that’s why that E trigger never took off. The marketing gimmick at the time if I remember was a quicker lock time and a lighter pull trigger.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a web search.
    It has been done before, but never caught on.
    I'm thinking that making it safe would be the biggest problem.

I didn’t watch the video yet, but this is what the one I was referring to

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Remington made one years ago it didn’t last long. Never saw one in person. I think they called it the E trigger. Think it was around 02’ or so?
    It was based around an electronic primer. It did use an electronic trigger. The OP wants to use standard primers in a bullpup. Center stocked XP-100 and Bullpups normally used a long connecting rod to acuate the trigger. That does create trigger pull issues.

The Remington EltronX didn't live up to claims. Lots of them were converted back to standard fire control. The OP might be able to utilize one of the old EltronX trigger to release a standard sear with an actuator.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Yeah, I just watched the video on it. It was pretty entertaining.

Boolit Grand Master

Two buddies have them. Both are converted to standard FC. The claimed zero lock time was mostly BS. It didn't account for the time it took the primer heat up and fire. It was quick when it worked properly When it was cold the lock time was more like a slow flintlock.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have a few 700 rifles that have that goofy J lock on them that reminds me of the other innovative etronix ordeal as well for some reason. Eventually, I’ll get them all changed over to a normal firing pin spring and bolt shroud.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to steal the thread but I am guessing those electric primers for a Remington rifle could be challenging to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    Not to steal the thread but I am guessing those electric primers for a Remington rifle could be challenging to find.
    This was before they got really hard to find.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...84/?pid=831855
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-15-2024 at 05:35 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I can see myself pressing the trigger harder when the battery starts to die. Kind of like a TV remote.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've got Timney Calvin elites on a cpl of my cast varmint vaporizers.....

And there's "better" triggers than these. Just sayin,good luck improving on these basically,over the counter target triggers. Not saying it "can't" be done.... but you're gonna need one heckuva nice machine shop,so "hobby" sorta ain't gonna cut it. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Better check laws pertaining to electronic trigger actuators...
    Yeah, for sure. Lots of potential for legal issues here.

Designing an electronic trigger actuator for a semi-auto that isn't "readily convertible into a machine gun" from a legal/ATF standpoint might be a difficult proposition.

That etronix situation was a bolt gun after all...Kind of impossible for a bolt gun to be a machine gun regardless of the trigger.

Boolit Master
    Look up Electronic Arms. They made an electronic 10/22 drop in trigger pack and a bullpup also based on a 10/22 action. I have both around here somewhere, need to SBR the bullpup because it’s really fun suppressed.

I think the guy that designed these is in Raleigh NC. The firms real business is mil equip contracts.

Boolit Master
    When I hear anyone speaking about electronic rifle triggers I remember a friend who passed about a year ago. He was a retired commercial pilot who loved firearms and long range hunting. He had watched the movie Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks) and focused on the part where the Seals ended the hostage situation with 3 shots fired into the captors at the same instant. The movie suggested these shooters all fired when the command to do this was issued. His thought was to improve on that with electronic communication among the shooters and their commander. Their rifles would house a trigger that communicated with the commander. When any shooter had his sights on his assigned target he would pull and hold the trigger, yet release it if the target went out of vision. When all 3 shooters' were on target their commander could activate the triggers to function, thus 3 shots sounded like one. He actually built a proto-type of this system and submitted it to a U. S. military point of contact for evaluation and consideration. His offer was rejected. Didn't really hurt his feelings as he somewhat expected that to happen but he still believed he had a good idea. He was an innovative experimenter and a lot of fun to visit. Still miss him.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I can see myself pressing the trigger harder when the battery starts to die. Kind of like a TV remote.
    Years ago I read article written by a professional African hunter. He said that it was hard to find native guides and trackers that could hit anything with a rifle. Most thought that the harder you pulled the trigger the harder the rifle shot.

The electronic triggers were big in the late 70s and 80s in magazines. The electronic ignition ammo and guns by Remington were a total bust, and a different deal than electronic triggers, that still used a mechanical sear setup, just altered the let off by eliminating the mechanical levers, springs, etc.
    We had several show up at the range, results were like owning a 450 Dillon, with the failure to fire, in a no mulligan match, you are done. So the electronics disappeared.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast