RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are the crows?

Boolit Master

Where are the crows?

As a kid in the early sixties, crows roosted in the trees of the state park about a mile or so from town here in north Texas. I assumed it was a normal occurrence to have thousands of crows flying in before sunset to roost in the cedar trees of the park where they were safe from whatever was after them besides me. Shooting wasn’t allowed in the park, and the crows were not molested (except for the ten year old kid with the full choked H & R .410) . I would hide in the dead Johnson grass of a road ditch and bang away at the crows. I hadn’t figured out the “leading” of a flying target yet, so I was astonished when one of the crows folded his wings upon my shot and crashed into the crushed limestone surface of the county road next to the grass filled ditch where I was hiding. What I didn’t realize was my granddad was in his ‘57 Pontiac Starchief at the top of the rise and had seen my shot!
    I was ecstatic! We had to leave; as the overcast sky was beginning to darken and the straggler crows were very few, now. Granddad congratulated me and even let me take the hapless crow home to show my dad!
    Does anyone out there in the wide world of sports know where the masses of crows have retired to? Has the use of herbicides or insecticides reduced the population to only a small fraction of what they once were ? I’d like to know if the number of these fellows has really been reduced. Dad related to me that the crows were so abundant in the thirties that roosts had been rigged with dynamite in order to drop their numbers.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    It's about the same story as the honey bees.... With all the chemicals we spray onto everything I'm sure it's taken a toll on them. Population expansion and land development also has a major impact. Scientists have confirmed we're living in the 6th Great Mass Extinction, due to the number of species that have gone extinct in comparison to other mass extinction events. And suggest it has been brought about by mankind itself. I'm not a liberal, I'm a libertarian, and was a registered conservative for my first 20 years as a voter. It's not a political stance, but a factual one if you look at the evidence. We have 7 Billion people living on a planet designed for a couple hundred million. We've devastated a lot of biomes, leaving the wildlife in question with nowhere to go. We've used a host of various inorganic chemicals in various applications. Or we've place artificial barriers that reduce genetic diversity. Even most of the deadly algae blooms you hear about are caused from waste runoff. You'll see the same thing with many other types of wildlife.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I just gotta say, well I guess I don’t….half the crows came to my house, how’s that?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    As a kid in the early sixties, crows roosted in the trees of the state park about a mile or so from town here in north Texas. I assumed it was a normal occurrence to have thousands of crows flying in before sunset to roost in the cedar trees of the park where they were safe from whatever was after them besides me. Shooting wasn’t allowed in the park, and the crows were not molested (except for the ten year old kid with the full choked H & R .410) . I would hide in the dead Johnson grass of a road ditch and bang away at the crows. I hadn’t figured out the “leading” of a flying target yet, so I was astonished when one of the crows folded his wings upon my shot and crashed into the crushed limestone surface of the county road next to the grass filled ditch where I was hiding. What I didn’t realize was my granddad was in his ‘57 Pontiac Starchief at the top of the rise and had seen my shot!
    I was ecstatic! We had to leave; as the overcast sky was beginning to darken and the straggler crows were very few, now. Granddad congratulated me and even let me take the hapless crow home to show my dad!
    Does anyone out there in the wide world of sports know where the masses of crows have retired to? Has the use of herbicides or insecticides reduced the population to only a small fraction of what they once were ? I’d like to know if the number of these fellows has really been reduced. Dad related to me that the crows were so abundant in the thirties that roosts had been rigged with dynamite in order to drop their numbers.
    the hawks go after thier nests. I see them chasing them from time to time.

Boolit Master
    I used to participate in the Crowbusters web forum and those guys do some serious crow shooting. It seems that the heaviest populations are and maybe always have been limited to a relatively small part of the country that the crows migrate through over the course of the year. I have no idea how total US crow populations have changed over the years. In my area of Middle Tennessee and northern Alabama there really hasn't been much change over my lifetime and I'm 63. There was a noticeable uptick in numbers passing through the area in the Fall around maybe the year 2000 or so? Those years I remember there were enough crows to shoot fairly regularly by just standing out behind our shop near the house.

My Father did tell me of how many crows there were around 1948 to 1950 when they 1st bought the farm where I grew up. They had a roost on the neighbor farm, the owner of which was a good friend, and they tried shooting some but all they had was one single shot 20 gauge and neither was much of a shot. I shoot them sporadically now during the various crow seasons and love it. Whether I hunted them or not, I would hate to live in a world without hearing that all too familiar call of the crow! That along with the call of the Great Horned owl make a day in the woods a bit better and wilder.

Boolit Master
    I have a family of crows that live on or around my place I usually see like 5 to 7 of them. they are very smart and have strong family unit. I dont mess with them. they dont cause any harm to anything I try to do.. im thinking of plowing up a long dormant part of my property for a new garden. I hope they are around to eat all grubs and moles and voles and whatever gets turned up out of the old pasture.
    its funny you up birds today I saw a small flock of cardinals out by one of my buildings earlier today

Boolit Master

About 15 years ago, the West Nile virus came through Northern Ohio and pretty well wiped out all the crows and bluejays. Just starting to see them both in numbers though not at pre-virus levels.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't noticed a difference in my area. I see crows everyday. Had a couple hundred roosting in the trees in the back yard a couple of weeks ago.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    In the 60's and early 70's there were a lot around here. It was not unusual to see several hundred at one time but I haven't seen that in years. There does seem to be more lately. Not sure why the change.

I never saw a deer around here till the 80's, now it's hard to grow a garden because of them. There used to be a lot of small apple orchards around and they were full of quail. They are gone now but I sure do miss hearing them calling in the evening, called them Bob Whites from the sound of their call. We did have turkey move in and let's not forget the coyotes. Things do change.

Boolit Grand Master

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act passed in 1972. The increase in hawks, owls and eagles greatly reduced the number of jack rabbits. It also effected the numbers of crows/ravens.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    In the early sixties there were almost no crows in our state due to the fact there was a bounty on crows and gophers. I'm not sure how long it lasted because in the mid sixties I got a crazy idea I wanted to get my military obligation out of the way. The bounty was gone when I got home. When it comes to farm chemicals and pollution this state is as bad as they come. The honey bee have really suffered. The crow population is out of control. This morning when I came home from town the driveway was covered with them, they were on the roofs, and the trees were loaded. When I started down the drive they didn't want to leave and started going crazy like it was their place. Wrong move for them, I'm going to give them the metro gun treatment. The Whitetail population is out of control also, the shed hunters are having a very good year.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I can step out my back door and walk to the tree line set up my electric varmint call and within 10 minutes turn the trees black with crows. I’ve done it many times. I told my daughter and son in law about it . I don’t think they really believed me until they seen it and wanted to make a video of it .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    What sound are you using in your call to squawk them in?

Boolit Master
    Where are the crows?

Always just out of range, no matter what you brang out to have a poke at them.

Boolit Master

Last week there were thousands of crows flocking around for a few days. They roosted in trees in a solid mass almost and pooped on everything. then one morning
    they were gone. I found this interesting driving around town. My wife told me to watch where I was going.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

They came here. Outnumber the doves. Seen them chasing hawks.
    Whatever!

It’s funny how they wait until your crosshairs are just about settled….then fly away talking smack!
    I’ve shot them when the opportunity strikes ever since I got my first shotgun at age 14.
    Boy, were they surprised when I got my first 22-250!
    It’s funny how they keep quiet when they fly over my house!
    We have hundreds of pecan trees here and I’ve noticed no increase or decline in crow sightings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    They're numbers dropped here during West Nile virus and I think the GMO corn may not be helping. Have you seen the youtube videos of Crows killing newborn calves. They poke the calf's eyes out and then go for the tongue. They constantly harass the hawks here particularly young hawks. They pull the tail feathers out so the hawk can't steer or fly well and then close in for the kill. I have seen this once and broke up the murder scene by picking one off. The hawk got away. I've watched them steal a mourning doves eggs. The dove did her best but lost that battle.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    Holy moley, there here in West Tennessee! There are more crows than I've seen in my life!

Boolit Master

They are in my back yard every day. They have aerial dogfights with the Osprey and Bald Eagles.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast