RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Excess Lead

Boolit Master

Excess Lead

My boolit casting days have slowed down considerably as time goes by. I’m 76 now and don’t shoot quite as much as I used to in my younger days. My concern is the quantity of lead that I have accumulated. Some is in various ingots depending on their alloy and some are still clip on weights. If I were to sell some, what seems to be the desired type, muffin ingot w/w, coww, or corn stick linotype? I assume the small flat rate boxes would be the best size. Also what about price per pound? I’m
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    In my head most lead for bullet casting is $1/lb plus shipping. It’s probably gone up over the past 4 or 5 years, but that’s what’s in my head. Look through the closed deals here to get more accurate pricing.

I wouldn’t smelt anything that you haven’t already, sell it as it sits so folks are confident in what they are buying. Do separate linotype lettering from spacers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    In my head most lead for bullet casting is $1/lb plus shipping. It’s probably gone up over the past 4 or 5 years, but that’s what’s in my head. Look through the closed deals here to get more accurate pricing.

I wouldn’t smelt anything that you haven’t already, sell it as it sits so folks are confident in what they are buying. Do separate linotype lettering from spacers.
    those prices have long been gone up from $1 lb

Boolit Master

I am sure that you have multiple ingot sizes, but you did ask.

I prefer and use the castboolits and redneck gold ingot molds. I can fit 22-24+ lbs of ingots in a small flat rate box, depending on the alloy.

There was someone on here selling muffin ingots in a SFRB, about 6-8 lbs iirc, and no takers at $1lb or so + $10 shipping.

At 8 lbs of ingots at $1 per, the price ends up being $2.25 delivered.

The same SFRB full of CB and RG ingots at $1 per would have been $1.42 per lb delivered.

If a person cannot get close to 20 lb in a SRFB, i am not interest in buying unless they are giving it away. Even if 6-8 of lead was free, the cost of shipping makes it cost prohibitive or close.

And I still occasionally see $1 / lb + shipping, but they don't last long. $1.25-$1.50 per pound are sometimes listed as + shipping and sometimes shipped. $1.50+shipping ads sometimes sell reasonably fast and sometimes don't.

I have a bit of range lead and am considering selling some to fund other purchases. I would probably list at $1.25 per lb + shipping (1.67/lb delivered, $40/box) or possibly $36/box delivered (1.50/lb delivered). (And for the record, this is not a sell post. If and when I decide ro part with some lead, you can find the ad in the Swappin and sellin forum.)

But that is CB or RN ingots completely filling a SFRB. That way the buyer maximizes their purchase power instead of wasting money on shipping.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer ingots that will easily fit into a Lee 20lb pot and not immediately freeze the melt. 2lbs at most per ingot. The larger flat rate boxes seem to be the best deal for everybody. You can easily fit 50lbs in them so the cost of shipping doesn't ruin the deal for the buyer.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you read some of the stuff on folks trying to use zinc, IMO lead is something to be hoarded by younger casters.

I would not sell any alloy for less than $1.25/lb plus shipping. If you have "hardball" (92-2-6) the price should be higher $1.50-1.75.lb plus shipping.

There are folks looking for deals, but I would be in no rush and keep pricing "fair". The stuff stores for a long time...LOL. It depends on how quickly you want to move it.

The days of "free" lead are behind us. There i value in having good alloy delivered to your door.

In my case, I prefer ingots but I do not have small pots.

Good luck and BTW sad to hear you need to sell it. I am 73 and will be in the same boat soon. I am not shooting enough cast bullets to use up the 3000-4000 lbs of alloy I have. Most of my shooting now is with air guns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I much prefer ingots that will easily fit into a Lee 20lb pot and not immediately freeze the melt. 2lbs at most per ingot. The larger flat rate boxes seem to be the best deal for everybody. You can easily fit 50lbs in them so the cost of shipping doesn't ruin the deal for the buyer.
    This ^^^^
    Probably $1.25-$1.5 plus shipping. I still find it for $1 per pound but that’s local pickup price not shipped. Of coarse I’m a bullet caster so I’m naturally a cheap skate.

Boolit Buddy
    I buy lead on Ebay for $2/lb shipping included. Sounds like I pay more than most of you would charge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    I'm in a similar situation, both in terms of age & quantity on hand. Have sold some here, in #40 lots at a $1.50 a pound plus shipping, but now the shipping costs don't make it a cost effective way to move it. If you care to, I would look into Facebook Marketplace and try posting it there. Local pick-up only. Keep anything that's not melted down already just the way it is. Folks like to be certain just what their gettin.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    My boolit casting days have slowed down considerably as time goes by. I’m 76 now and don’t shoot quite as much as I used to in my younger days. My concern is the quantity of lead that I have accumulated. Some is in various ingots depending on their alloy and some are still clip on weights. If I were to sell some, what seems to be the desired type, muffin ingot w/w, coww, or corn stick linotype? I assume the small flat rate boxes would be the best size. Also what about price per pound? I’m
    If you are healthy enough to ship in Med Flat rate boxes, making them 50 to 68 lbs and packing them well enough to make it to the destination, that's what I'd do, you'll get a better price.

My opinion of current Prices per lb, if you ship.
    muffin ingot w/w: $1.50
    corn stick linotype: $2.00
    coww in the raw: $0.60

If you are unable to pack/ship, then I would advertise for a local sale at reduced prices, you'll likely find someone willing to drive to get a deal, and they might take everything you want to sell.
    Less than a year ago, another member here listed some alloy for local pickup, and was a 70 mile drive for me, I bought 490 lbs of ingots for less than a $1 a lb.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I can't ad much but restate posting local pickup only here, on face book marketplace or ebay or craigslist. I got over 1,000 pnds a year ago, bought some equipment, guy said lead also $2/pnd unless you take it all. So I loaded the truck. I was going for the casting machine and mold anyway. Probably 300 miles one way. I have done that kind of trip a couple times.
    One other thought is to sell them cast. If you have some exoctic off the wall caliber or bullet style it may do very well on gunbroker for example.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I can't ad much but restate posting local pickup only here, on face book marketplace or ebay or craigslist. I got over 1,000 pnds a year ago, bought some equipment, guy said lead also $2/pnd unless you take it all. So I loaded the truck. I was going for the casting machine and mold anyway. Probably 300 miles one way. I have done that kind of trip a couple times.
    One other thought is to sell them cast. If you have some exoctic off the wall caliber or bullet style it may do very well on gunbroker for example.
    You cannot sell home made cast bullets legally. I checked into it. There is a lot of expensive requirements to meet to do it legally. ITAR alone was like $2500 IIRC.

If you sell a few hundred on a site like this, no one should care. Do it on Gunbroker, and in quantity, and you may get a visit from the Federal guys.

You can resell commercial cast bullets legally.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Well I learned something that I completely over looked. Redneck Gold ingots are actually made to fit the SFRB priority mail boxes. I thought they were just another ingot and didn’t pay much attention to them as I have an assortment of factory and homemade moulds. I may have to order a couple when my budget allows.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Yup, Lighthouse did a good job when designing them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I’m 76 now ... ... some are still clip on weights.
    Well cleaned & sorted (no steel, no zinc) COWW in loose form has a good bit more value than buckets of stuff in the "as is from the tire shop" condition. If I saw an add for local pickup of clean COWW in my area, I would be interested. There is possibly some satisfaction that would come from "re-homing" this inventory. And focusing on a local pickup disposal of the COWW now would leave you with stuff that is more worth shipping at a later date.

For ingots, there is also some potential value added the better you can characterize it. Linotype, xx BHN, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    For reference, see The Captain's add in the Vendor section. She has pricing for ingots of range lead and COWW. If you were closer to Michigan, we would be talking.

I have traded soft lead for alloy. I like the rcbs/lyman type molds. The ingots stack perfectly in uspo sfr boxes, which can be put into medium frb for 60# max rate. At $1/#, you would sell it all. If its lino, $3/# is cheap. Posting on craigslist or at your local range will get buyers.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol