Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Milky looking lube in Star sizer

Boolit Buddy

Milky looking lube in Star sizer

I have an annoying problem, no matter what I do, the lube on my bullets has a milky color. I have tried everything, like pushing out air without a bullet in the die, melting the lube and pouring it into the reservoir etc. Air must be entering somewhere, but I have no idea where. All my bullets come out like that, until the machine runs out of lube. I have a few other Star sizers with different lubes in them, and they don't have that problem. The second picture shows the lube I squeeze out of the die without a bullet in it. This sizer is about to go in the trash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240211_155842.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	323330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240211_155831.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	323329

Boolit Master
    Lube recipe might be a clue. Paraffin based? Compare the lube die with ones that do not have this issue. Or adjust the bullet up or down in the size die to determine if that might make a difference.

Moderator Emeritus

I get that after a lube refill (trapped air no doubt), I add a bit more heat and it goes away after about 30 or 40 boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Lube too cold? Too much paraffin?

If my boolits perform adequately on target I don't sweat what the lube looks like.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

I'd also like to know more about the lube you're using, and if it requires heat. Dustys observation about your depth setting is completely correct too. Lube can aerate if you don't have your lube groove somewhat lined up with the lube port in the die. Or it could be a combination. I also believe that there is an o-ring in the horizontal pressure piston that's in the base of the Star.

Boolit Master

I think backing off on the spring pressure would alleviate most of the issue.

Gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks a lot for the input guys, I now have several things I need to try. I will try to increase heat, and also back of the pressure a little bit. I forgot to include the type of lube I am using. Right now I am using some leftover sticks of Jake's Green Resin, I am also using Magma Green and White Label Carnauba Blue. I bought a case of Magma Green, and that's what I have been using for the last couple of years. Heater is PID controlled, and I run Jake's Green Resin at 124 degrees, and Magma Green I run at 128 degrees since it's a little bit harder. It's not home made lube, so it has not seen excessive heat, at least not from me. Pressure is around 80 PSi.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    This sizer is about to go in the trash.
    I'm sure this was said out of frustration, but if it comes to that point please let me make you an offer on it.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Buddy
    Way too much pressure. Back it off to around 40. Try it and see. The pressure is only to feed the pump.

Boolit Master

I get similiar bad results when I let my lube get too hot. I use White carnuba red with an unregulated heater. If it gets too hot it squirts out the lube holes and mixes with air.

Boolit Buddy
    I misread the pressure setting, it was at 65 PSi. I think I know what's happening, but why it's happening I have no idea. I believe that when I size bullets, air is pushed through the holes in the die and into the lube surrounding the sizing die. I took out the die, and the lube coming from the reservoir seems to have a normal color. But after sizing a few bullets, air seems to be building up in the lube that is surrounding the die. I will back off the temperature and increase pressure instead, to see if that helps. Never had this happen before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240212_120102.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	323347

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    I'm sure this was said out of frustration, but if it comes to that point please let me make you an offer on it.
    Haha, I'll keep that in mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I get similiar bad results when I let my lube get too hot. I use White carnuba red with an unregulated heater. If it gets too hot it squirts out the lube holes and mixes with air.
    It sure seems like too high temperure could be the culprit.