RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zinc Casted Bullets

Boolit Mold

Zinc Casted Bullets

What are people's opinions on Zinc bullets?

While pure lead typically has a Brinell hardness number (BHN) ranging from 5 to 15, pure zinc registers at 30 BHN. Even Zamak 3 boasts a BHN of 80. Some have expressed concerns that Zinc may be too abrasive on barrels. However, solid copper bullets, such as those made from Gliding Metal, have a BHN of 80-110. Interestingly, Zamak 3 is approved for hunting in states like California, which have banned lead for hunting.

The photo is a 429303 that supposed to weigh 200gr in lead, but weighs 131.5gr in zinc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240208_164709.jpg   20240210_215350.jpg  

As Lead dries up, and more & more ranges prohibit Lead, it's is the future of casting.

Some folks are already doing it.
    I picked up one in range scrap a couple years ago. Search youtube for 'casting bullets with Zinc'.
    There is a bunch of videos on it.

You'll need a different heat source than our common electric Lead pots, and probably Iron molds.
    They'll weigh about 60% what a Lead boolit does from the same mold,
    and you can push them on up to jacketed speeds.

Something else coming down the road:
    We've seen Zinc WWs phase in, and easing out Lead.
    People are saying they're finding Steel wheel weights now days too.
    If you're getting away from Lead, and into casting with Zinc---
    ya might want to start stocking up before folks come in here asking about casting with Brass or Copper.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-11-2024 at 03:36 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Zinc is frustrating to cast with.

It does not flow the way lead does.

It requires too much heat.

It is a pain in the butt to clean zinc smears from a mold.

The bullets stick in the halves.

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Lyman Mould Master Electric Furnace and modified it. Also put together a PID to get temps up to 1200F. It gets Zinc to flow really smooth and to prevent it sticking I've only used steel molds with the match stick method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221210_111900.jpg  

Boolit Master
    What’s the match stick method?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    What’s the match stick method?
    Lighting a match stick in each cavity that leave a black coating. It's helped prevent zinc from sticking.

What alloy of zinc are you using? What I tried last week was Zinc wheel weights for balancing tires.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    What alloy of zinc are you using? What I tried last week was Zinc wheel weights for balancing tires.
    I've used both pure zinc and Zamak 3. Both have worked well as long as you get your pot to 1000F. Zinc wheel weights from what I've found out are either Zamak 3 or Zamak 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejg View Post
    I've used both pure zinc and Zamak 3. Both have worked well as long as you get your pot to 1000F. Zinc wheel weights from what I've found out are either Zamak 3 or Zamak 5.
    Yeah I noticed that I had to keep it as close to a thousand degrees or pouring and fill out between the ladle and the mold was just terrible. I was eyeballing zinc from Roto metals but after my experiment with zinc wheel weights I don't really want to do that anymore.

I was casting long skinny 225 grain 30 caliber plain base bullets. It's just so much easier to make them out of lead. The other night I made 16 lb of lead bullets with a two cavity iron mold. In the same amount of time AKA several hours I only ended up with less than 50 out of zinc.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah I noticed that I had to keep it as close to a thousand degrees or pouring and fill out between the ladle and the mold was just terrible. I was eyeballing zinc from Roto metals but after my experiment with zinc wheel weights I don't really want to do that anymore.

I was casting long skinny 225 grain 30 caliber plain base bullets. It's just so much easier to make them out of lead. The other night I made 16 lb of lead bullets with a two cavity iron mold. In the same amount of time AKA several hours I only ended up with less than 50 out of zinc.
    When I first started with zinc it was just a headache, but after getting the correct pot and a PID everything ran smoothly. In 1 hour I made close to 300 9mm bullets from a 2 cavity.

How do they load and shoot?

Boolit Mold
    How do they load and shoot?
    Here's one of the 35893 I put together. I shot them out of a PCC 16in barrel. Decent group at 100 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230415_135412.jpg  

Does the difference in material density present challenges when selecting and working load data?

Boolit Mold
    Does the difference in material density present challenges when selecting and working load data?
    These weighed 81gr and the bullet length was similar to Lehigh Defense 90gr bullet. I used the load data from there as reference for Silhouette. Worked my way up from 6gr to 7.5gr.

I recently purchased the Garmin Chrono. So once that arrives I'll have an actual idea of what the fps are.

My blackout bullets scale 225 grains in lead and 135 in zinc.

Boolit Mold
    My blackout bullets scale 225 grains in lead and 135 in zinc.
    Seems about right for the 60% weight. You just have to make sure you're using a steel or cast iron mold and temps at 1000f to get a nice bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Right now I have literal tons of lead, but I have already started accumulating zinc. I am an electrician, and a lot of our fittings and parts are zinc, at the end of the job when we clean off the job I get as much as I can before it hits the dumpster. have a half a 5 gallon bucket of ingots. I do not have a casting pot yet for zinc or steel molds and will not switch over until I have to. It is a lot harder to deal with and I will gladly buy antimony right now to harden up lead to my needs. But who knows the future so if I was you, I would a least collect the free stuff in the mean time.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kaleigh View Post
    Right now I have literal tons of lead, but I have already started accumulating zinc. I am an electrician, and a lot of our fittings and parts are zinc, at the end of the job when we clean off the job I get as much as I can before it hits the dumpster. have a half a 5 gallon bucket of ingots. I do not have a casting pot yet for zinc or steel molds and will not switch over until I have to. It is a lot harder to deal with and I will gladly buy antimony right now to harden up lead to my needs. But who knows the future so if I was you, I would a least collect the free stuff in the mean time.
    Especially if it's Zamak 3 or 5 that stuff is as hard as Copper bullets since that's gliding metal.

Boolit Mold
    I had a buddy bring me a plastic bucket full of wheel weights about 3 years ago. I would say 1/2 of them at least are not lead.
    R.I.P. Mike. thanks for the gift.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 11th Corps View Post
    I had a buddy bring me a plastic bucket full of wheel weights about 3 years ago. I would say 1/2 of them at least are not lead.
    R.I.P. Mike. thanks for the gift.
    Free would be the best gift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast