Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: trying something new tonight

Boolit Grand Master

trying something new tonight

Im try something new tonight. I got a gallon pickle jar out and made a make shift filter from a small plastic bottle and poked very small holes around it. a hole in the cap allows a string to remove. This I filled with ground coffee. poured water thru the little bottle to wet grounds good. capped and lowered into pickle jar. theres 64 ounces of water in it. its cold brewing now been working about 2 hours so far.Its a nice caramel color now. Going to let it brew till morning.

Its looking really good and starting to give a light aroma. Im curious to see what I get out of it.

Boolit Master
    Does one consume this beverage cold?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My aunt (father's sister) was a fan of iced coffee many years ago. She would enter a restaurant and order "iced coffee" which usually got a "we don't have that" from the servers. This aunt would ask - "You have coffee, ice cubes and glasses, don't you!?! Mix one up and bring it to me." She usually got her way with the order. It always sounded strange to me then and still does now. Despite my love of hot coffee, I am now seeing more restaurants offering "iced coffee" on their menus. Not for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Sampled the first run this morning. needed a little more coffee in the pot. Was a little on the lighter side. but no bitterness after taste or acidity. This was cold brewed/steeped over night. Had 4 16 ounce bottles of water and 6-7 tablespoons of coffee. ( chock ful of nuts) in the strainer bottle holes were good almost no grounds in the brew. It is very good and isnt like the iced coffees that are brewed hot and iced down. I added a teaspoon of brown sugar to each bottle when I repackaged it this morning. 1 is gone now. It really has a good flavor a little stronger and its going to be really good.

Going to order some 80X80 mesh stainless steel mesh to make a strainer thats a .050 sized hole or so. should be fine enough to keep the grounds out. Im going to modify the trial strainer by punching more holes in it Double the amount of them. Then Ill up the coffee from 6-7 to 10 teaspoons in the strainer. Its definitely worth working with it. WHat little grounds got thru were of no size just a cloudy swirl.

The cold brewd/steeped seems to work well but it has to have some time to work its a 12-14 hour time.

Boolit Master

I used to drink iced coffee frequently. Cold steeped as OP described. I found an electric percolator coffee basket worked well for retaining the grounds and a paper drip-type coffee filter would clear up any cloudiness.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Does one consume this beverage cold?
    You can if you'd like, but it's not a requirement. You can absolutely heat it up and drink it hot if that's your preference. Cold brew doesn't automatically imply "Iced Coffee".

The idea is that the slow, cold, brewing method results in a smoother, more flavorful final product that is also less acidic than hot brewing. If you have stomach troubles (reflux, gastritis, etc.) cold brew is definitely easier on ya.

I'm prone to gastritis due to bad advice from a bad doctor...If it flares, I'll switch to cold brew until it calms back down. I don't do it all the time because it's kind of a bit more hassle than hot, but it's a nice option to have in your back pocket.

Country Gent's setup sounds like it'd be effective. I do mine a bit more simply...Just mix the grounds and water in a large container cowboy style then filter it through a fine mesh after about 24hr of steeping. I use about 2x the grounds per water than when I hot brew and mix it now and again with a clean long spoon while it's brewing. I find that allowing the grounds to be free in the water improves the extraction. It makes a fairly concentrated brew this way, which allows me to cut it with hot plain water for a hot cup.

Boolit Master
    You might try a tea strainer ball. Set the jar so the sunlight hits it and the taste is great. You may need to boil the strainer before you use it the first time.

New idea for me, thanks all for sharing. I do like my coffee.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master
    The things we learn on this site!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    From about May through September, I keep a container of cold coffee in the refrigerator. Usually brew a fresh pot in the morning, then in warmer weather another for frig.

Just put the coffee in a old gym sock, zip tie the top, and throw it in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    That sounds as bad as some of that coffee picked out of cat scat.

There's an Italian restaurant that serves after the meal hot coffee. Very hot water in a cup and add only an ounce or so of cold brewed coffee to the hot water I was skeptical as I prefer strong coffee but this was delicious! They wouldn't give me any details other than lots of coffee in cold water!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Buddy
    If you like iced coffee (I don’t) but don’t like it watered down you can brew it, and put in ice cube trays then freeze.
    Then when making iced coffee, use the coffee cubes as ice and it doesn’t water it down.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post

I didnt think you could get worse than mcdonlds, gas station or starbucks "coffee"but you proved me wrong