Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 308 brass differences?

Banner Sponsor

Winchester 308 brass differences?

Hi Everybody.
    I picked up a bunch of Winchester brand 308 Win brass for my 358 Razorback project because it was supposed to have the most internal capacity.
    After cutting forming and trimming 100 cases, I noticed there was a little difference in the headstamps. At first I didn't think much of it, but I weighed a couple of cases and some were about 20 grains heavier.

The case on the left with the o in between the .308 and Win is the heavier brass. Internal capacity of my formed cases is about 2 grains less water capacity. Almost the same as LC brass.
    So I've started separating them into two different buckets. I don't want to load a max load of the skinny brass in the o brass and have some problems.
    Also, with the regular 308 Win brass, I didn't have to turn the necks to get loaded rounds to chamber.
    The o brass won't chamber all the way and gets stuck near the base of the neck. So I'm turning the base of the necks slightly.

My Question is: Does anybody know the difference between the two headstamps?

I bought 500 pieces of Winchester brass. I guess I'll have to separate them all and pay attention as to which lot I'm working with.
    Maybe I'll keep the heavier brass for cast loads...

Boolit Buddy
    Just a guess here but that "dot" looks just like the markings on some of the LC brass. It may be military brass that was excess and then stamped with commercial markings instead of the Nato mark.
    Last edited by nannyhammer; 02-11-2024 at 09:43 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nannyhammer View Post
    Just a guess here but that "dot" looks just like the markings on some of the LC brass. It may be military barss that was excess and then stamped with commercial markings instead of the Nato mark.
    Notice the dot doesn’t have the NATO cross in it. You may be on to something though. Yesterday -or day before- someone replied to a thread and said they had talked to someone at Lake City. They were told that LC brass rejects are turned into commercial cases. He said the only difference is the LC gets one more kiss on the headstamp as an extra work hardening step. You’d have to compare 7.62 to 308 case capacity specs to verify that I guess. If I remember correctly, 7.62 loads to lower pressure than 308?

Boolit Master
    The difference in case weight would make sense if it was meant to be 7.62x51 brass. Thicker web.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk