RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished My Third Flatside Contender (219 Don Wasp)

Finished My Third Flatside Contender (219 Don Wasp)

I have been shooting Contenders since the late 80's and have shot most calibers standard and wildcat. I have tried all kinds of barrel, frame, and scope combinations. After 40 plus years I have decided on what I think are the perfect combinations (For ME LOL). When I say Finished, I mean NO MORE anything just Shoot and enjoy. Can't wait to sight scope in.

List of features:

Weight 6 LBS 11 OZ

TCA Matte Flatside easy open frame made in 1999 (#7 of only 36 made. #8 is on my 20 Vartarg). With new hammer spring and trigger job by me. Light & smooth as silk (just like I like them).
    OTT matte 16 Inch full bull barrel chambered in 219 Donalson Wasp.
    Georgia Jim laminate grip set featuring Jimbo grip and wide flat target forend mounted with Bullberry hanger bar.
    Scope is a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50mm LR 30mm tube with side focus and fine duplex reticle. It sits on a BullBerry weaver style base and in Burris signature rings and is capped with Leupold Alumina covers.

May not be Perfect for you but it is VERY close to perfect for me.

3 Finished Flatsides in Bottom Picture are 20 Vartarg 6mm BB IMP & 219 Wasp

Thanks for reading and Safe shooting.
    Doug

Last edited by tred1956; 02-10-2024 at 04:32 PM.
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

I have an Eagle View stub kit and a 1:9 223 barrel that I took off a new Howa Mini. I’ve had everything 219 DW ready to go… I just need to make it a priority. When my arm was broken last winter, forming 219 DW brass was one of the few things I could do w/o damaging myself further or messing up what I was working on.

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful! It is also in one of my favorite calibers 219 Wasp. I have a Sharps Borchardt redone by Pfeiffer Rifle Company and my Contender Carbine which I put together with wood from Fred Smith (Bullberry) in 219 Wasp.

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

That's a nice looking set of pistols Doug! Is James still making furniture? I haven't seen anything of GA Jim since the old Specialty Pistol days.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Beautiful! It is also in one of my favorite calibers 219 Wasp. I have a Sharps Borchardt redone by Pfeiffer Rifle Company and my Contender Carbine which I put together with wood from Fred Smith (Bullberry) in 219 Wasp.

What a beauty that one is Stubshaft! Bullberry had some fantastic wood back in the day. I'm fortunate to have a couple of Contender grip sets from them.

Boolit Grand Master

You guys are making me jealous............Very Nice
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    That's a nice looking set of pistols Doug! Is James still making furniture? I haven't seen anything of GA Jim since the old Specialty Pistol days.

What a beauty that one is Stubshaft! Bullberry had some fantastic wood back in the day. I'm fortunate to have a couple of Contender grip sets from them.
    Not sure if James is still making grips or not. Last time I talked with him he was having some medical issues, but that was a couple three years ago
    Safe shooting
    Doug

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Those are rifle scopes? I guess with mild recoil they don't hit ya in the eye? Do you use a thumb for indexing it off your cheek/nose?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. Those are rifle scopes? I guess with mild recoil they don't hit ya in the eye? Do you use a thumb for indexing it off your cheek/nose?
    Yes sir rifle scopes. Firm grip and just back off, real easy after a little practice
    Safe shooting
    Doug

Beautiful ! Have been a Contender fan since the 70’s.

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful guns. I know Harvey D. had a 30" bbl on his wasp. Do you get a complete powder burn with a short bbl?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Beautiful ! Have been a Contender fan since the 70’s.
    Frankly I've never understood Contenders. People pat themselves on the back (IMHO) for hunting with a pistol but you need as much or more rest as a rifle. In fact, you shoot most rifles off-hand, so the Contender to me is "cheating" if you think you're pistol-hunting. Just an another opinion.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Frankly I've never understood Contenders. People pat themselves on the back (IMHO) for hunting with a pistol but you need as much or more rest as a rifle. In fact, you shoot most rifles off-hand, so the Contender to me is "cheating" if you think you're pistol-hunting. Just an another opinion.
    That's a very interesting opinion...

'Bout all I can say...

Good-Luck...BCB

Moderator Emeritus

I see the advantages of a contender hand gun as follows.
    Portability
    Sealed Breech
    Cartridge flexibility
    Stand hunting with easy radius of reach
    Woods stalking with a rest on every tree
    Plains walking with a creedmore shooting position [Stock on lower leg, head braced with left elbow behind head]
    When you decide to hunt with a single shot whether rifle or handgun a barrel change in your action is amazing.
    Owner of 4 Contenders and 3 Encores, 4 Encore rifle bbls, 6 Contender rifle bbls and 8 Contender pistol barrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking hand cannon there ! Those grips really set of the combination.
    Shot steel critters with a 7TCU in 10"and 14"and DW in revolvers back in the early 80's. Been liking the old "Cougar" actions ever since.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Even with a rifle I use a rest every chance I get. I don't see a good rest as cheating but trying to do everything in my power to make a good shot and a clean, ethical kill. Besides being just plain fun to shoot and many times amazingly accurate, the TC pistols allow me to extend my deer season here in Missouri. I don't pat myself on the back for anything. I hunt and shoot for enjoyment and these beautiful little pistols are very enjoyable to me. But, to each his own, just leaves more for me!

Luckily what I shoot, I shoot because I like it. Reminds me of the famous line from the end of Monte Walsh. And actually, I now prefer Contender carbines , which I will use with a steady rest whenever possible. Have a good day !
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 02-17-2024 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The goal of shooting is to hit your target. To accomplish this, its best of maximize the most solid rests available. Yes, I have shot several dozen deer with handguns including Contenders. Only a couple of them were offhand since no better options were available. I also shoot lots of prairie dogs with handguns. With the XP100's or the Contenders 400 yards is very doable with a good rest. Offhand not so much.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-15-2024 at 08:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Contenders are so addictive! I know that I can't have one of every caliber made plus wildcats, but sure like trying!!

Boolit Mold
    BTW, love the idea of a rifle scope on a contender pistol. Never even thought of that. Pistol scope options are kinda limited, but rifle scopes open a whole new world. Thanks for the suggestion!

Boolit Grand Master

If you try a rifle scope on a pistol make sure you back your head away from the pistol. I usually shoot with about 1/3 of the field of view reduced. The only barrel I did not shoot with a rifle scope was my 444 Marlin Contender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast