Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 405gr. HB .459 Casting

405gr. HB .459 Casting

Finally had a chance to fire up the casting furnace this afternoon. I had been needing to cast some boolits for my new to me
    1885 US Springfield carbine.
    I purchased a Lee mold 405 gr. HB .459 and poured 250 boolits, which will keep the ol' single shot busy for a while. I really enjoyed getting the casting furnace fired up for some boolit casting.

I haven't shot the carbine very much yet, I did load up some 300 jacketed with 11grs. of Unique. The 300's and unique were shooting a bit high at 50 yds., so I'm hoping the 405 gr. HB boolits will be closer to the factory sight.

What little I've shot the Springfield, I sure have been having fun with the carbine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240209_161320.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	323258

Boolit Master
    Has anyone hunted with this boolit ?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Has anyone hunted with this boolit ?
    I haven't hunted with the 1885 Springfield carbine, I'm just playing around and shooting it occasionally recreationally.

I am becoming a 45-70 fan shooting the trapdoor, and thinking about purchasing a more modern firearm chambered in the 45-70 for hunting. I'm on the fence in which direction single shot, or lever action? Either route, I want the ability to mount optics for hunting.

For hunting in my area which are whitetail and black bear, I would think a 300-340gr. boolit would be plenty.

So having an old trapdoor 1884 model rifle, I have loaded quite a bit using the Lee HB 405 without any resizing, just lube and load. Accuracy in my rifle is pretty good too hitting 3-4 inches at 150 yards off my bench. I had to adjust the rear site a bunch but finally changed out the front site as My gun was shooting to high but finally got it to shoot POA and most likley as good as I can shoot having tried many different loads of 4198, 5744 and Unique all low pressure loadings. Have not hunted with it but would surely take deere at this range if wanting to. Mostly I just shoot it here on my own range when the weather is nice..I did shoot a piece of ballistic jell at 75yds and penatration was superb going the entire lengh and into the backstop. I get more joy from these old guns than new, but would love it more if having an origional carbine model instead.

Boolit Grand Master

Most '84 TDs with original sights (front and rear) will shoot 12 - 16" high or more at 100 yards. They were supposed to as the rear sight (not the slide sight) is regulated to be a "battle sight" with point of aim being belt line or crotch on standing man or brisket on a horse. For hunting with that rear sight replacing the front blade with a higher blade then filing down so point of impact at 100 yards is 3 - 4" above point of aim is much better.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    So having an old trapdoor 1884 model rifle, I have loaded quite a bit using the Lee HB 405 without any resizing, just lube and load. Accuracy in my rifle is pretty good too hitting 3-4 inches at 150 yards off my bench. I had to adjust the rear site a bunch but finally changed out the front site as My gun was shooting to high but finally got it to shoot POA and most likley as good as I can shoot having tried many different loads of 4198, 5744 and Unique all low pressure loadings. Have not hunted with it but would surely take deere at this range if wanting to. Mostly I just shoot it here on my own range when the weather is nice..I did shoot a piece of ballistic jell at 75yds and penatration was superb going the entire lengh and into the backstop. I get more joy from these old guns than new, but would love it more if having an origional carbine model instead.
    gc45,
    Thanks for chiming in with so much helpful information.
    I purchased my trapdoor this past Fall, really enjoying the old carbine and the history behind the US Springfield trapdoors. What little I have shot the carbine sure has been fun, at our little backyard shooting range. Our son and nephew were over the top firing the trapdoor with the 300gr. jacketed with 11gr. of Unique. That load seems like a powder puff load, I just didn't want to push the trapdoor for the first outing.

That's very good accuracy at 150 yards, very impressive shooting.
    I haven't loaded any 405's yet, I need a shell holder for the LEE Classic sizing die. I've been reloading on a Forster co ax, so I currently don't have a press set up for standard shell holders. I'm going to need to order a shell holder adapter and shell holder for the Forster, or a standard shell holder and adapter for my Herters 03 press.

That's impressive shooting through ballistic Gell at 75yds! haha
    Seems the older I get, the more appreciation for the older guns I have developed and lately I haven't bought a gun for myself newer than 1959, which is a S&W model 41 22lr.

Thanks again

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I replaced the front sights on my Trapdoors, so they hit dead on at 100 yards. It hits dead on the sights out to 500 yards, the longest range I've had available to try them on. I size, then powder coat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Most '84 TDs with original sights (front and rear) will shoot 12 - 16" high or more at 100 yards. They were supposed to as the rear sight (not the slide sight) is regulated to be a "battle sight" with point of aim being belt line or crotch on standing man or brisket on a horse. For hunting with that rear sight replacing the front blade with a higher blade then filing down so point of impact at 100 yards is 3 - 4" above point of aim is much better.
    Larry,
    Thanks for all the great information pertaining to the 84' TD's
    I did not know they were designed to shoot high, and I couldn't remember the term "battle sight" thanks. I haven't figured out the Buffington rear sight on the 1884's.
    Mine is actually a 1885 and the serial number corresponds with carbines for the Spanish American war. I had reservations even shooting the carbine for fear of damaging the old TD, I would be sick. That's why I started with light loads of Unique.
    Thanks for the information on the front sight, I'm very apprehensive on doing any modification to the TD

Thanks again
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I replaced the front sights on my Trapdoors, so they hit dead on at 100 yards. It hits dead on the sights out to 500 yards, the longest range I've had available to try them on. I size, then powder coat.
    waksupi Thanks for the awesome information

I haven't looked very closely at the front sight, on how it's installed? Now if I could change the front sight without filing, or silver soldering I would be up for that.

That's great being able to take your TD out to 500 yds. that's getting out there. I've taken a few whitetail out there in that range, although with a 7mm mag. and a 12 power scope. Not sure these old eyes are much good after a 150 haha
    I've always wanted to get into PC this might be the right time to take the plunge

Thanks again for all the great information

1885 US Springfield Calvary carbine

Name:	20240127_164810.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	323393

Name:	20240127_164912.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	323394

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
    waksupi Thanks for the awesome information

I haven't looked very closely at the front sight, on how it's installed? Now if I could change the front sight without filing, or silver soldering I would be up for that........
    Look closely at the base to see if the front blade isn't held on with a pin. Simple enough to remove the pin and replace with a taller blade a bit higher so will hit low at 100 yards then filed to the correct height.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Look closely at the base to see if the front blade isn't held on with a pin. Simple enough to remove the pin and replace with a taller blade a bit higher so will hit low at 100 yards then filed to the correct height.
    Larry,
    I found the pin for the front sight blade, will I be able to find a replacement blade? I had no idea the front bead sight was pinned.

Thank you
    Kevin