Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon cv500 tumbler died !

Boolit Master

Dillon cv500 tumbler died !

Dillon wants $140 to "upgrade" it to current CV750 .

Anybody here replaced the little motor on one of 'em and got a good source ?

Boolit Master

Watching. I have a Dillon Tumbler where their No BS Guarantee wasn't quite No BS
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

It's probably a 'off the shelf' motor.

If it has some model numbers or specs. on it, it shouldn't be a problem to find one.
    I've gotten AC motors off Amazon and was surprised at how many different motors are listed there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Idk but would like to source a new motor for the old FL-2000 tumbler. Anybody know about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Idk but would like to source a new motor for the old FL-2000 tumbler. Anybody know about that one?
    It’s something I should look into, I have had to reach under and spin start mine for 6 months now. No fire worries as it doesn’t run unattended.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    It’s something I should look into, I have had to reach under and spin start mine for 6 months now. No fire worries as it doesn’t run unattended.
    Anyone locates a reasonable priced replacement motor - Please post source.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Post #12 of this thread may have your answer:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...500-motor-died

Boolit Master

The motor from Grainger is 141 dollars. Get the 750.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...Enclosed-4M090

Boolit Master

I have used my CV500 for 30 years, so when it goes I will pay the 140.

Everything at Grainger is overpriced, but sometimes you don't have a choice..

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    The motor from Grainger is 141 dollars. Get the 750.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...Enclosed-4M090
    Wrong model. That is 240v.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Wrong model. That is 240v.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    True, but I just posted what was in the old post, the 120 VA is about the same plus shipping.

The post above is true everything at Grainger's is expensive, I have one of their store's down the road from me, nice place to go look around in.

Do they have Electricity in NW Arkansas?

140.00 for a new 750 is a good deal especially if there is free shipping, that was also in the other post from Dillion.

Boolit Master

Dillon will not sell me the 750 motor - guess I'm not supposed to be smart enough to install !

It's out now so I can read the tag, round Emerson 1/25th HP at 3000rpm . The mounts must be specific for Dillon, right angle tabs tacked on . Found another brand on line close enough for 40 bucks delivered, will need to mount to the Dillon plate in a different manner but expect it will work with some redneck engineering. Too cheap to spend $140 for a fix or $230 for new. Guess I got 20 years out of it. If I was smarter, could probably take it apart and look for bushings - guessing that eccentric weight is hard on 'em .

Still curious if there is an actual bolt in replacement anywhere !

Boolit Grand Master

For little motors if you can get the tabs to the body a hose clamp or 2 will mount them.

If you have the specs tag then Mc Master Carr, Graingers can match them. US motors or other online vendor can also.

When looking the spec tab should have voltage HP motor mount you need these to match the motors.

I have yet to see anyone who has successfully fixed one with an off the shelf motor. The original motor in mine was made by a company that is out of business.
    The 4M080 is too thick and the original mounts are too small to fit on it. My original motor is about 15/16” thick.
    Last edited by steveu; 02-10-2024 at 11:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if the number listed in post 12 is the same motor I used but, My Grainger motor got installed months ago but just ran my first load today. And it works great. It took some doing to adapt it to work in the same space as the old one but it wasn't too bad. Let me look and see if that Grainger number is what I used. 1/40 th hp, 3000RPM, 115volt. I think I had to use the outboard mounted bearing mount from the old motor to get it to mount up and use longer screws. But this is way more HP and a bigger heavier motor than it came with. The original was impossible to find. Mine is running as we speak, when I first plugged it in, it made no noise and i thought it was the wrong motor but the addition of brass and its back to its noisy self.
    Last edited by ebb; 02-11-2024 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Send me a cell phone number and I will send you pictures.

Boolit Master
    Well patting myself on the back was premature. My new Grainger motor seems to have died on the first batch. These are fart fan motors so I don't know if the motor was over worked or a wire came loose and I am in the middle of a painting the house and it will have to wait. I will look at the thing tonight and see if it is obvious. I have no idea if the duty cycle of theses C frame motors is compatible with the abuse they get from tumbling brass. I bought a motor that exceeded all the info I could find on the net about the Dillon motor, that doesn't mean that any of that info was right. If It just looks like the motor failed from over work, I guess I will send it to Dillon and spend $130. Because I love my Dillon tumbler. When I bought it 15 years ago I looked at that little motor and said to myself, this is the week link to this thing. I wish they had given out a little more info on why they changed motor style and where to find an original motor.

Motor manufacturers do not keep supplying a motor forever. We change motors when either the manufacturer goes out of business, discontinues that specific motor, or moves the manufacture to a country with proven poor quality control. The current motor is made in Japan, and is a sealed motor. It runs hot to the touch, but the motor engineers worked with us during testing to create a very durable motor. The current motor has a five year warranty, unlike any other motors we've used.
    Our liability attorneys insist on us installing replacement motors. It's not a reflection on the IQ of our customers, it's an acknowledgement that other case tumbler manufacturers have been sued when houses caught on fire do to an incorrectly owner installed motor. Just the way it is.

Boolit Master
    Can you post the procedure for shipping the tumbler back, the cost and timeline required?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast