Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powder coated some bullets this morning with my new powder coat gun from Eastwood

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    Not perfect, have some learning to do, but I am liking it so far. The pink ones I did by mixing in a cream cheese container...will not be coating them this way ever again. The first few green that I coated I messed up by attempting to clean off finger oils by using acetone...the freshly cured powder coat immediately bubbled. I did recoat them and are not completely wasted...I'd say. The second batch, I used higher voltage and no diffuser...bad idea. For whatever reason, some powder coat flew off the bullets...will only use low setting and diffuser for bullets from now on. Also, these were coated at about 1 a.m., outdoors here in California.
    The bubbling of the coating was because ALL of the acetone had not evaporated. Its surprising how long it takes for it all to get out of lead pores
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    No clear coats, I accidentally discovered that if I overcook them then the powder tends to run off some leaving a glass/gloss like coating that is really slick. One day, I dropped one onto the bottom of my oven and just didn't bother with it for about 3-4 consecutive cycles. A few days later I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised by how glossy and smooth it was...unlike my normal baked bullets. I thought about buying clear coats, but some of these colors just makes it easier to find my lead.

I always use the extra step of "shake and clean" bullets with acetone. Take less than a minute. The secret is to make sure you don't use to much acetone in the plastic jar so it can evaporate fast. I have a procedure in place that allow the cleaned bullets to dry of acetone for almost 30 minutes. Clean bullets always powder coat very very well.

I try not to handle bullets any more than necessary with my bare fingers, have occasionally used a nitrile glove. I use the 'shake and bake' method, and and have not needed to clean bullets prior to coating. I do pc as soon after casting as possible.
    YMMV hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    The thing was that I was doing multi tone coating and was wanting to clean the bullets before the next color then that happened. I now just use soap and water or blue painter's masking tape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123