Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a Browning Nomad recurve bow today!!!

Boolit Master

you need a 50” string, no shorter or longer. It doesn’t work like that. a new rest too
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The string looks like new yet, so I’m gonna roll with it for now till I shoot it a few times. But yeah, the rest plunger is long gone. Lol. I’ll get another stick on one instead of resting my arrow on the shelf. I don’t think I’ve shot one off the shelf since Cub Scouts in the 70s and was never a fan of it. I could always shoot way more accurate and tighter groups with a stick on arrow rest. I remember the last ones I ordered from last spring I think was a two pack for around four bucks or so on Amazon and they work just fine. I was going to take a trip to Walmart and see if they had one. If not, I’ll have to order some again. I figure I’ll grab a couple of the cheap arrows at Walmart when I’m there in the longest configuration they have they still sell them singly at my store for four or five bucks apiece I think.

This is what I did to the other recurve in the post I linked. I use the female side of Velcro. I’ll have to see if I have any more laying around. Does anyone here shoot off the shelf instead of an arrest?

I remember I’ve got to get some better shooting gloves to my fingers went numb for about a month after a couple hour range session in the backyard snap shooting this one.lol

Removing the old arrow rest was a breeze. The plastic was brittle and broke off in several pieces and the foamni scraped off easily all with just my fingernails.

I will have to do some research on the clear coating over the fiberglass limbs. Its comming off and I can easily scratch it off with my fingernails ass well. What ever Browing used on the wood is still solid.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-10-2024 at 02:45 PM.

Boolit Master

55 - 60 ld spine arrows with 125 gr field pts
    Leonard Ravenhill

I went over to Walmart for giggles. They didn’t have any stick on arrow rests like the old days.Lol. They had some 31 inch arrows that were 4 and a bucks each that I passed on. They were carbon and 31 inches. It said they were meant for 60 to 75 (with a 350 spline) compound bows. I would assume I need a heavier arrow for a recurve?

Boolit Master

The 31” arrows may work as the longer the arrow the more flexible the shaft. weight on front end of arrow reduces spine a bit. You need at least 125 gr. Total weight of arrow should be about 540 gr including point but those arrows probly weigh closer to 350.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Yeah, I definitely need some heavier arrows. I’ll have to check some other shops.

I will have to get a stick on arrow rest ordered up. Couldn't wait and wanted to mess with it this morning. I found the velcro and wrapped the shelf with the female soft side with it. I also put a strip down each sode of the limb tipsto dampen the vibration. I have one 33" 2317 xx75 left I ran through a deer a few decades ago I use to practice with in the other recurve. I don't remember the weight or spline of it but it's a heavy arrow inused when I was shooting 78 pounds in my old browing Mirage back in the early 90's. I might have to string it and try it out later toady.

I haven't shot off the shelf since I was a kid a camp. Lol. Have to see how I do. I'll limit my backyard range to 10 yards till I get out somewhere safe to shoot longer ranges. I just made a string I staller in a few seconds out of set line. It's strung. I'll let it set and rest for a while and give it some short stretches to exercise the limbs be for I shoot it later.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-11-2024 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Arrow wise you might find feathers work better than plastic fletching off the shelf, plastic tends to kick the back of the arrow off the rest.

It shoots pretty nice. I never checked the knocking point and it came loose (of course) on the first shot.Lol. Didn’t have my knocking tool with me so I just leveled the arrow with my eyes where I thought it should be knocked on the string. I have always shot with one finger over my arrow and figured I would try shooting all three fingers under today as well today. I got used to shooting three under on the shelf. I kept hitting the base of bullseye at 10 and 15 yards. If I didn’t have it knocked evenly I could tell by the arrow flight. I could see the arrow deflect of the shelf and strike the target at an angle. Either that or the arrow I’m using is also too heavy Im guessing? Fun bow to shoot! I’ll still get a stick on style arrow rest for it and maybe grab one of carbon arrows from Walmart and see how it shoots with it. I bet I shot it for over an hour nonstop this morning. I can tell you the first five or six shots I was about ready to quit.Lol. My muscle memory didn’t remember pulling back the recurve from last summer that’s for sure! After a couple dozen shots, I just forgot about the “sore pull” in my shoulder and kept shooting. It went away and I was getting smoother pulls as I went on. Definitely a snap shooter at that poundage for me right now. You can pull it back and hold it for maybe a second at the most but it’s nothing I’m gonna hold onto long-term I’ll have to look for a lighter one for practice. I’m still pretty darn accurate with it. I was hitting the bull’s-eye at 15 yards every time even with no knocking point, and guessing where I had to knock the arrow. I just wonder how far a penetration I would get on a deer with a recurve versus a compound. I was maybe getting 6 inches or so of penetration in my block target. I definitely get a lot deeper penetration I compound with that much more weight. I would assume that’s why most guys use the old razor blade looking broadheads with them?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-11-2024 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Master

It's a shame the arrow rest is on the wrong side
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    It's a shame the arrow rest is on the wrong side
    You can blame my parents for that. I am left-handed, but shoot right!

Boolit Master

I'm kinda mixed up too. I'm left handed. I shoot a bow left handed, a rifle left handed, but I shoot a handgun right handed. I also bat and use a golf club right handed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headhurt.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	323342
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Bait casters right handed, spinning reels left handed I’m guessing…because I use my right to wind them , shoot guns, pistols, and bows right, write and draw left, throw left handed, baseball bat and golf left handed. I tiller my outboard with my left. Right eye dominant…and I relieve myself with the righty

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-11-2024 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot bows right handed because that's how they came as a kid but a sling shoot left handed. Always been a lefty.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Found a Browning Nomad recurve bow today!!!

I’m a righty in most things but shoot pool left handed and played racquetball both hands. Really confused people!
    I still have a recurve bow from the 70’s and had a stick bow but it grew legs at some point.…

Boolit Master
    I was a lefty until going to school. My first grade teacher (Mrs. Williams) made me stay in from recess until I could write and throw a ball righty. I bat and golf lefty, shoot everything right handed, but my left hand is nearly a full glove size larger and anything strength related I gravitate toward my left.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I took a drive today out of town and stopped at Fleet Farm. They had 31" 2117 fall stalker arrows with plastic vanes for $5.79 each. I grabbed three to play with. I normally shoot 33" arrows out of my 31.5" saw length compounds. I'll have to make due and roll my elbow out to shorten my draw length. Looks like they are 12.3 grains per inch. So approx 381 grains plus the vanes and nock. I'll call them 400 grain give or take till I put them on my charge scale to test. I have some 125 grain filed points laying around I'll stick in them. I can tell they are alot lighter then the 2317 I was practicing with. I'll wait till my Bear all weather stick on arrow rest shows tomorrow Soni don't rip of my vanes shelf shooting. I forgot to add weight in for the front and rear inserts as well.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-14-2024 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm impressed that you actually found aluminum arrows. All I have seen for years around here is carbon fiber. It seems like everyone wants to shoot the very short compounds with aggressive cams; I can understand the stores not carrying stock that doesn't sell, but there have to be some old farts with old bows that like aluminum shafts.

I've shot/lost/ bent more than my share of 31" 2117's over the years. Usually with a 125 point on them.

Robert

I have to give Fleet Farm my hats off for actually having aluminum arrows. They had a bunch of loose arrows but this was the only offering that they had in aluminum. I did some googling the last couple days and heard that they called it the xx75 fall stalker arrow. It just didn’t list what size shaft it was. I’ve shot 2117s for decades when I was a kid then worked up to Beaman carbine when they first came out and then ACC arrows for leagues. Then I went to crossbow and hung up the bows unless I am carp shooting or target practicing. They had one other arrow that was 31 inches but I didn’t bother to look at it because it was carbon. All the rest they had there were super short I would assume probably cause they sell them for youth. My 2317 looks and feels like a tank compared to this 2117. It also is about an inch and a half longer. Figure I’ll probably never deer hunt with the bow and mainly use it for target shooting. If I do, I’ll have to get longer arrows so I don’t hit my shelf with a Broadhead. At least I can retire my last 2317 arrow with blood still soaked on the veins from a doe I shot on opening day with it back mid 90s.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-14-2024 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast