Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
Sometimes I shoot on an unattended short range steel plate range where the gutter in front of me is filled with brass. I leave with three kroeger cottage cheese tubs full of it. Anything I pick up that is berdan primed, damaged, or a caliber I do not have, goes back to that same range and is dumped into their brass tub at the office.

If I pick up stuff that is steel, aluminum, or as you put it unusually heavily tarnished, I will still load and fire it somewhere where picking up brass is impossible. Twice a year I have to fire 100 rounds on an indoor range that never stops and most of the brass goes in front of the firing position where I can't get it back, and that stuff gets left there.
Have reloaded aluminum .45 cases up to 5 times . Some of 'em useta be Berdan primed but all I've picked up lately are Boxer small primer.
.45ACP is low pressure anyway, and I just use H&G 68 BB . Just have to go slooow when belling 'em . Many times get a small split on 4th or 5th load, still shoot OK though, then they get recycled . Great for any occasion you don't want to bother picking up cases, they were free anyway !