RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Magma MC Mould Lending Closet - Second Try

Magma MC Mould Lending Closet - Second Try

Fellas:
    The original thread was removed because it was in Swapping and Selling, so recreating here.

The idea is simple. I have Magma moulds that came with my machine I may never use but don't want to sell. If you are a MC owner who bought a package deal, you are probably in the same situation.

I am willing to lend those not-used-right-now moulds out, figuring that anyone serious enough to use a MC will likely take care of the mould and the MC itself eliminates many chances for damage.

Post if you have moulds you are willing to loan on a limited time basis. I have no idea if this will work, but figure it is worth a shot.

We could cover a lot of Magma designs if enough people with unused-right-now moulds are interested.
    Tony

9mm 115 and 125 gr. RNBB
    38 125 RFNBB and 158 SWCBB
    40 180 FNBB
    44 240 SWCBB
    45 200 RFNBB 230 RNBB 255 SWCBB

ADMIN

The problem with this idea is how are you going to control loss or damage?

Magma molds aren’t cheap or easy to get ahold of right now.
    Even though I have over a dozen molds I could loan, I am not sure that I want to take a chance of losing what I have.

32/20
    38/40
    44/40
    9mm 115,125,147 all rn
    41 mag fprn
    38 sp - 110wc,125 fprn , 148wc, 158 fprn , 158 swc
    40/10mm 170hp, 180 tc
    45 lc 250 fprn
    45 acp 185swc , 230rn

And a bunch more I am forgetting.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Hatch:
    Those are real concerns.

I have MC moulds that came with my machine I will likely never use - I don't shoot .40, and I have better designs than the Magma SWC moulds - but don't want to sell, because as you noted, the moulds aren't easy to get.

The molds on my lending list aren't my favorites. My thoughts are that this would just be a transaction between the two interested individuals, and they figure out the safeguards that suit them. Members might exchange moulds as hostages, or whatever works for them. And, my Accurate and other custom moulds aren't on that list but could be after establishing trust with someone. So I'm not losing an irreplaceable work of art if something goes wrong.

Just my thoughts.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    The only way to mitigate the loss from someone not returning or damaging a mold is to take a deposit that is multiple times the value of the mold.
    If someone needs to send you for example a $400 -$500 deposit to borrow a mold the likelihood that they would return the mold to get their deposit back increases.

I would also make a wooden box for the mold to be shipped in so that the likelihood of damage is decreased to nearly nothing.

I have seen this work in the automotive hobby space with specialty tools.
    2x the market value is common on tools that are readily available.
    For something not easily replaced 4x or 5x is not unreasonable.

If I can borrow your mold for the price of shipping both ways + maybe a small fee for your trouble, let’s call it $25 for example. There is very little incentive for me to keep it if you have my $400-$500.
    I would also only ship out 1 mold to someone to decrease the downside if something was to go wrong.
    Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-16-2024 at 10:56 AM.

Very similar to my thoughts.
    Tony