MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred powder for 9mm

Boolit Master
    GONRA's justa Collector/Tinkerer.
    Used WW 231 for all (normal) auto pistols, aged collector items etc.
    (Developed "loads to function" - NOT beat up the pistol !!)
    BUT -Used Blue Dot for .44 Auto Mag, .44 MAG . .45 Win Mag, etc. auto pistols.
    Last edited by GONRA; 02-06-2024 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have been using Sport Pistol with 140 gr cast with Hi-Tek coating for the last 2years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshaug View Post
    I like TiteGroup myself. Meters well and is available locally for $29.99 a pound. I use it for both jacketed and cast.
    Same here.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    Unique or Titegroup for me

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone for the input. A lot of thought and effort went into your responses and it all is appreciated.

1Iron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    RED DOT for many decades -
    Same here, but I'm going to try CFE Pistol because I have a couple of pounds.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    (1) Get several manuals.
    (2) Study the written info about .9mm & what the publishers have to say about what they discovered as the most accurate.
    (3) Using several manuals,, you will find a selection of different powders that seem to be more prevalent than others.
    (4) Select a couple of those powders and start low & build some sample ammo.
    (5) Your gun will then tell you which powder & load it likes the best.
    (6) Tweak a couple of the best ones to find the best overall powder & load.

Boolit Buddy
    Titegroup meters well.

Accurate #2 is my go-to.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am going through my powder inventory and using up odds and ends of powder I will not be stocking. The fast powders will load 9mm and .38 loads for plinking. Some “odds” are less than a pound and some “ends” are under four pounds.

My “go to” powder for both calibers will be Clean Shot because I have over 25 lbs of it. IMO people tend to overthink things. For what I do, the difference of an inch at 25 yards is not worth worrying about.

If I run out of Clean Shot I will revert to Promo. I am not shooting to win pickup trucks. Still like W231/HP38 but have less expensive choices at tge moment.
    Don Verna

As you can see, lots of powders work well in 9mm. I load thousands of 9 every year, using VV n320, WSF, and Nobel Sport SV. All of those are just fine for range ammo, all will make power factor for USPSA.

w231, cheap, measures accurately on the powder measure, it is always available, at least here in Argentina. I have no complaints.

In my country, a very good one is made in the military factory, which until recently sold to us civilians. It's called the A22b and it's the best powder I've ever used for 9mm, which is the caliber it was designed for. It burns very cleanly, fills the brass well, and measures very well on the dillon powder meter.
    Unfortunately it is not exported.
    I have not used all the powders you mention above either, but from my short experience it is the one I liked the most.

Boolit Master

Unique....also in .40 S&W, .45 Colt, and mid-range .357, and mid-range .44 magnum.

Makes logistics easier! But, "I am a man,...I can change...I guess...if I have too!" (Red Green words of wisdom)
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have been using Sport Pistol with 140 gr cast with Hi-Tek coating for the last 2years.
    I also use Sport Pistol behind powder coated 147 grainers in my Sig 365. I found it to be more consistent and cleaner than Titegroup in the 9mm. Still using Titegroup in the .45acp

Boolit Master
    Bullseye, cuz I have lots of it. Downside, is that you have to weigh every charge, if you're picky like , even though they are just target loads

Boolit Master
    Personally, the two powders I use for 90% of my handloading of Pistol cartridges are Unique and Red Dot.

Honestly, when it comes to 9mm I use Unique for most cast loads, and Red Dot for jacketed. I load a lot of jacketed in 9mm due to having an AR9 SBR that doesn't feed all cast boolit types easily, often get flat spots from the impact into the feed ramp... That said, my new MP357-125-RN doesn't seem to have this problem, and feeds without issue. So I am just now starting to work up a load for it starting with 4.0gr Unique at 1.100" OAL. With jacketed, what I load most is a 115gr FMJ at 1.100" over 4.3gr of Red Dot. This is a decently spicy load, and may be close if not at a max load based upon the data I have seen and the recoil felt with my pistols.

But, the there are three other powders I want to dip my feet into: Power Pistol, Ramshot True Blue, and Ramshot Silhouette. But with pounds and pounds of Unique and Red Dot left, it may be a while before I do.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

700X and PB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTNC View Post
    I've had good luck with 231/HP38 and Bullseye in 9mm (but have lately been saving what little Bullseye I have left for 38 special wadcutters.)

I remember seeing somewhere that Red Dot/Promo works and need to work up a load with it since I have a few pounds of it on hand.
    If I'm short of Bullseye ... Red Dot will step up and fill the bill very nicely not only in tthe 9mm but many other cartridges . I have learned to keep a good supply of Red Dot on hand .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Longshot as I load it in 20 ga, 28 ga and 12 ga HV loads.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Red Dot for most 9mm loads, as I have a lot of it. Still using some from the 70's.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast