I would like to load cast for my 221 Fireball XP100
    This pistol has been unused in the safe for to long
    As I want a fun 150 or so yard ground hog pistol
    That I can lock in a case in the truck

I was hoping to use the LEE C225-55-RF as I already have some of them cast
    I was hoping for decent groups at 1600 to 1800 FPS

Your thoughts ?
    Any suggestions as to a powder ?
    I sort of was thinking 2400 or 4227 but have a number of choices on the shelf

I saw a thread https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...r-221-Fireball

But that was from a few years ago and I sort of wondered if anyone else had worked up some loads ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Skimming that older thread you listed - my gut reaction would be to start with 2400. It's been used successfully for cast bullets in rounds as small as the Hornet to as large as probably ALL of the smokeless military bolt action rounds, and it's got a pretty stellar history in handgun-length tubes. Should give you pretty decent case fill. Work DOWN a bit from the jacketed listings.

Lyman is listing (in the rifle data section) 2400 for 55 grain cast GC in the .222 Remington at 11 grains to start at 2153fps and maxing out at 15.8 and 2835 fps.

They have 2400 for the same bullet for the .220 Swift at 10.5 grains / 1772fps and 17.4 / 2723fps.

I know that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but there seems little reason to think you couldn't kick things off in the 8-10 grain range

Similar conclusions could be drawn for Unique. . .maybe 5-6 grains to begin the science.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Certainly Unique...I use alot of it in my 221Fireball, cast 53gr.. 6.0 working very good!!

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman CBH #3 has lots of cast bullet data for cast. Test firearm was an XP 100. Page 247 in my copy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    .221 is a kewl little cartridge, would love to have it in the same mini action as my Zastava .223.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I will look tomorrow in my load notes.... IIRC RL7 worked well with the RCBS 55 gr cast . Also have some notes
    for 225107, Bator, and others.

Boolit Master
    FWIW 10" Contender 221FB. 53gr pointy cast. 5.0 gr BE-86.. 1620FPS, very Accurate... For Me.
    Almost identical Velocity, as same load of Unique.

Boolit Master

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

RCBS Cast Bullet number 1 lists loads for an XP100 with their 55gr 22-055-FN boolit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fireball_RCBS.jpg  
    Last edited by nseries; 02-11-2024 at 05:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

When I shot my stock XP-100 in 221 FB I was shooting the 225415 with PB (no longer available). It was very accurate out to 200 yards as it was the ONLY bolt action pistol IHMSA allowed in production category.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    When I shot my stock XP-100 in 221 FB I was shooting the 225415 with PB (no longer available). It was very accurate out to 200 yards as it was the ONLY bolt action pistol IHMSA allowed in production category.
    Odd that the Savage Stryker was Not Allowed...No
    I'm currently working with Nitro-100NF in My 221 Fireball. Contender

Boolit Grand Master
    The only cast I ever shot in the 221 was a Lyman 225-646 with 10 grains of IMR 4227. I was impressed with it, 1 3/4," 5 shots, but the owner of the gun thought that was "meh." He said it would group half that size with a Sierra 52 grain HP. I have only rarely managed cast groups that size with a full length rifle. I toyed with the Idea of buying one, but I simply couldn't justify it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The only cast I ever shot in the 221 was a Lyman 225-646 with 10 grains of IMR 4227. I was impressed with it, 1 3/4," 5 shots, but the owner of the gun thought that was "meh." He said it would group half that size with a Sierra 52 grain HP. I have only rarely managed cast groups that size with a full length rifle. I toyed with the Idea of buying one, but I simply couldn't justify it.
    Pictures...might be Proof...Might Not...
    I have friends that Never shoot groups under 1/2 MOA...yet...they gots No Clue what MOA Means...
    I can mostly hit a 3" Plate...at 100 Yds..But, I'm kinda old and going blind...wouldn't be so bad If I didnt shake like a Cat poopin a razor blade!!!