I’m putting together a FrankenSmith revolver. It’s based on a lovely, tight 1917 that has had the military markings removed by grinding the bottom of the barrel and the butt. I’ve been shooting the 45 Auto Rim since 1970, beginning with a Smith 25-2, but always wanted to address the yawning large throats with fat bullets.

To make that happen, I scored a nearly new Smith 455 Colt barrel, length 6 1/2”, which will screw right on the 1917. This will make a perfect mate for the 0.456” 1917 throats.

The final puzzle piece is dies that will seat and crimp the Auto Rim case with 0.455 bullets, something not well handled by modern 45 dies set up for 0.452 bullets. So, an older die set. 455 dies are listed but out of stock everywhere. Lee dies are available, but I figured they’d also be for 0.452 bullets.

Been watching a used RCBS set on the bay, but it was priced right up there with new dies. Thought of shortening some early 45 Colt steel dies, which would have worked, but I ended up buying the ebay set and I’m very happy I did.

The dies are brand new, in the old green plastic box, which also looked new. No pliers marks, bright finish, even had the little VPI wafer. Best part, the date on the seater die is 69. My first set of 45 Cot dies were RCBS dated 71, and were clearly built for 0.454 bullets, since crimping 0.452s was such a hassle.

I sorta feel like I’ve drawn to an inside straight, twice!