RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Weaver K4 reticle

Boolit Master

Weaver K4 reticle

I recently got a Belgian 1935 Mauser in 30-06 with a Weaver K4-C3 scope on it. It’s the post reticle.

My question is do you sight the top of the post in at 100, and the idea is the crosshair is like a bdc at 200? In the scope the post is actually a little higher than in this photo. I can’t really find much information about the reticles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a number of scopes with post reticule. I sight my Mauser 98 30.06 with the horizontal wire on zero at 100yds and the top of the post is 1.5 inches high for a 200yard zero.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    My first scoped rifle was a 270 with the same scope / reticle. Crosshairs were set for 300, top of the post 100.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I think you'll find with an older factory velocity level 180 gr load in the 30-06 (2500+ fps) rifle with that K4 reticle top of the post zeroed at 100 yards the crosshair is then close to zero at 300 yards. With whatever jacketed load you're using I'd zero the crosshair at 200 yards and then just use the top of the post for what it ends up at.

With cast bullets, I'd do a visual measurement with a grid target at 100 yards to find out the exact moa between the top of the post and the crosshair. Knowing that you can then decide on a sero based on the cast bullet load and the ranges to be used at.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I love post reticle scopes and have several - I grew up using them almost exclusively. I rely on the post tip to sight in at whatever the desired range is, then determine where the group hits using the crosshairs. Results vary (of course) depending on the cartridge and rifle.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, those were the thoughts I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've always mounted my post reticle scopes upside down. That enables me to hold over at long range without the reticle blocking out the animal.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!