RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pea shooter????

Boolit Grand Master

Pea shooter????

Anyone have plans on how to make a pea shooting gun????
    Having problems with pigeons.
    We can't eliminate them, but can chase them away.
    Want to make something that would use frozen peas.
    That way I don't have little airsoft balls all over the place.
    Guy I know uses a Nerf water ball shooter.
    To much trouble with preparing the balls.
    I'm sure someone here has some experience with these, or some ideas.

Boolit Master

frozen peas might be to hard and kill them?? you might try cream of wheat with just a primer
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Use biodegradable airsoft BBs
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have had some great results with a wrist rocket vs coyotes.
    We have abundant Inca doves that are not much of a threat.
    Rocks will break windows far away, but I suppose I could throw anything biodegradable.
    I will have to try a frozen pea. They would hear it whizzing over their heads for sure.
    Big frozen blueberries would be a better caliber, airsoft pellets, dog kibbles...
    My $8 Walmart wrist rocket is not a toy for children. They're illegal in NJ.

Boolit Buddy
    Those mini ice cube trays we use to stand up boolits for powder coating make good ice cube ammo for a slingshot.
    Nothing to clean up.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a bunch (actually 3000!) biodegradable clay balls, .30 in diameter, for my wrist rocket. Defending my blueberries last year I hit at least four bluejays, three cardinals, and one rabbit. All the birds flew away, but they tended to stay away. The first time I hit the rabbit he humped his back and didn't move. The second time he took three steps. The third shot hit just in front of his nose, putting junk in his face. Then he ran. These are not fatal.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Would a paintball gun be too strong? Amazon sells pepper balls. They're not cheap, but they would leave a residue for a while that might keep the birds from coming back.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

There are felt cleaning pellets that are used in airguns. At short range, maybe scare them off?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Just an idea... I few years back I kind of got into WAX BULLET making and shooting, in .38 and .45 calibres. Get some paraffin -- sold in supermarkets -- and melt it -- I use a metal coffee can, cut down to ~ 1 1/2" high. I put this in a pan full of water on stove -- kind of making a double boiler (I worry greatly vis chances of melted wax catching fire!!!) and when there's about 1/4" to 3/8" melted, simply remove coffee can and let wax cool. One needs drill the case head -- I drill it 1/4" to enable a 1/4" dowel to pass what was the primer pocket. Now -- with this tool, insert mouth end in wax, wiggle a teeny tad ;(, and remove your wax bullet. The dowel is used to extract. To make your cartridge, NO POWDER!!!, but a good primer is needed. Just take the extracted wax bullet you made and insert it into the primed case.
    NOT to be taken lightly -- you can Google and check out a lot of Cowboy Quick Draw and similar -- there is a respectable range with remarkable accuracy!
    Just a thought...
    geo

Boolit Master
    FWIW I shoot alot of Flying Mice, with Rice...Uncooked...loaded just like home built Shot Cartridges! No Holes in barn...very dead critters..If I stay close. I feel like any projectile that will damage a Critter...will probably damage my Barn...No Bueno!

Airsoft sniper rifle might be something

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If they are roosting in a building, go out on a dark night, and shine a bright flashlight at them. They will fly right to you. Stuff them in a burlap sack, and cook them like quail or doves. It's a lot easier if you have an assistant. I've caught hundreds this way.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

How about them frozen peas and good ole fashioned ... Sling Shot !
    Daisy makes one called a modle B52 is $13.98 ... their model 8172 is $8.50 ...
    at wally Mart ... Daisy has several models and prices to choose from ...

A New Slingshot ... Relive some of your youth!

I got mine taken away when my little brother bent over , at the far end of the driveway ... I had to take that long shot ... never dreamed I could Hit Him ...But I
    Hit him in the butt and he started crying ... he was faking it !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Some Paradice.

If you re-read the OP's original post, it sounds like they are not allowed to kill the birds.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    I have had some great results with a wrist rocket vs coyotes.
    We have abundant Inca doves that are not much of a threat.
    Rocks will break windows far away, but I suppose I could throw anything biodegradable.
    I will have to try a frozen pea. They would hear it whizzing over their heads for sure.
    Big frozen blueberries would be a better caliber, airsoft pellets, dog kibbles...
    My $8 Walmart wrist rocket is not a toy for children. They're illegal in NJ.
    That's what I use on the local buzzards when they perch on the house. I don't want to kill them but make those stinkers exit the premises in a hurry - and I just fire pea gravel in the wrist rocket. One thump or even a near miss will make them fly away.

Boolit Master
    +1!
    I just tried some ice cubes out of the wrist rocket.

Genius!
    Ice cubes might break a window though...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you re-read the OP's original post, it sounds like they are not allowed to kill the birds.
    It doesn't do much good trying to relocate a pigeon!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    We have hawks, owls, and eagles in the backyard. My dog is about the size of a rabbit I obviously can’t shoot them, or at them, or I would go to jail. I bought a case of “adult snappers”. They look like a little black cat but you have to throw them on the ground and they are super loud. Of course it sounds like somebody shooting at them but nobody’s called the cops yet and they all takeoff after I snap one on the ground. I’m sure you could probably put one in a slingshot attached to something hard then when it connects with something hard it’s gonna make a loud bang. I had an eagle come down, grabbed my dog, and flew off with it when I was a kid. I happened two years ago to the neighbors. Luckily their other “big” dog was in the yard and jumped up nailing the eagle in the air with the puppy knocking it out of its claws. If Ben Franklen got his way and made the turkey the National bird I would have had a war with the eagles. Needless to say this time of year, I walk out with my dog every time it’s outside until the ice completely goes out. The bald eagles come here by the hundreds to fish through the ice on all the dead shad that didn’t survive the winter.

How about one of those carnivore 30 Cal brake guns? I don’t know if you could fit a Pea in a 30 Cal. lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-07-2024 at 12:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Are try a pump bb gun without the BB's it just pushes air but makes enough noise to run them off, works great on blue jays and cats too
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast