MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can a mag light be worked over

Moderator Emeritus

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You can't beat 6 flashlights for $19 that take a single aa battery and have a 10 hour run life on the battery.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    After wrestling with corroded batteries over the years I only recently discovered that there is a snap ring behind the head assembly that can be removed and give a clear path to drive out the corroded batteries and clean the tube. The switch also needs to be removed before knocking the batteries out - see YouTube. Several years ago I converted two maglites to led with led bulbs from Amazon, and was very pleased with them. Very bright and provides more light when the batteries lose some power. The bulbs I used are no longer available, but they still carry conversion bulbs; I wouldn't recommend getting the cheapest ones you can find.
    Last edited by higgins; 02-05-2024 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm keeping my big old obsolete 3 D-Cell Mega-Mag Lites ... I consider them unregistered weapons ...
    I can knock a man out with one ... try defending yourself with a Mini-LED powered by two AA batteries ... couldn't knock out a chipmunk with one of those .
    Don't need no permit to carry it ... open or concealed ... yes sir ... it's a great weapon !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I'm keeping my big old obsolete 3 D-Cell Mega-Mag Lites ... I consider them unregistered weapons ...
    I can knock a man out with one ... try defending yourself with a Mini-LED powered by two AA batteries ... couldn't knock out a chipmunk with one of those .
    Don't need no permit to carry it ... open or concealed ... yes sir ... it's a great weapon !
    Gary
    A straight claw hammer is a great weapon too.

Plus you can carry a brighter 2 AA flash light and still can have a utility hammer for the same weight
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    A straight claw hammer is a great weapon too.

Plus you can carry a brighter 2 AA flash light and still can have a utility hammer for the same weight
    Same with an extension baton. Comes with a holster and extends to 2ft long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS-Tactical-Duty-Gear-Extension-Baton-Pouch-tactical-gear-australia_1200x-4239431747.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	323105
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Moderator Emeritus

about 10 years ago, when we had some GB LED flashlights here, I put all my heavy mag lights on the gunshow table. 2 cell, 3 cell, and a few 6 cell units. They all sold in one weekend. The bigger LED flashlight I got on GB is brighter than I will ever need.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Same with an extension baton. Comes with a holster and extends to 2ft long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS-Tactical-Duty-Gear-Extension-Baton-Pouch-tactical-gear-australia_1200x-4239431747.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	323105
    The sweet thing about the expandable baton (ASP) is with the proper non-lethal training, you can inflict pain and leave no marks...of course some druggies brains don't register pain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Gary
    A lithium rechargeable LED flashlight the size and weight of one of those old Maglite's could have a beam powerful enough to I don't know, start a fire or permanently blind someone and would still be an awesome cudgel. Business oppertunity.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I did the LED conversion for my 2 D cell MAGLITE. Stays put in the front or back pocket with the battery end down. When drawn with the lens bell against the heel of my hand, my ring finger turns it on and off. 4" of the battery compartment sticks out pass my index finger. Enough to detour a critter with 2 or more legs. Batteries seem to last a very long time with the LED.

Boolit Master
    Question. Many of the LED flashlight I've bought have a flash setting. Has anyone really tried this to see if it works as advertised? Disorientation and such.

I retired (gave to Goodwill) all of my old maglights.

I even used two of the cheap LED flashlights (single LED chip) on my motorcycle as aux lights. They put out more light than the sealed halogen headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You can't beat 6 flashlights for $19 that take a single aa battery and have a 10 hour run life on the battery.
    And honestly, if that fills your needs to your satisfaction, then by all means buy the three dollar flashlight.

Gary
    Truth! All I had was a flashlight!!!

Boolit Master
    Every time I see a post with comments like some of these, I can't help but think how it reminds me of people who ask about carrying Single Actions as a self defense tool, think that racking a shotgun is the end all be all greatest deterrence to a home invasion, or that Mercurochrome was a the best antiseptic.

Single actions are terrible as self defense tools in the modern age, a shotgun can be an effective tool but the sound it makes isn't going to scare people off, we stopped using Mercurochrome because we simply have much better antiseptics today than Mercurochrome ever was, and we stopped issuing Maglites to cops for a reason. Tools get better with time, outdated ones and the tactics used with them are abandoned for a reason. You wouldn't catch me choosing a M1 to carry into combat today if I had a choice, even if it was the greatest battle rifle of 1942.

Sure, the maglite can be used as a bludgeon. But that sounds a heck of a lot more like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Oh, you're going to use it as a light with your pistol? Why? We have weaponlights that cost very little, are lighter, are brighter, and can still be carried with a ASP or blade if you're that type of guy. This argument is like digging a trench with a shovel when you have a trackhoe sitting in your driveway. It's not that it can't be done that way, but it can be done better another way...

Getting back on topic, if the OP wants to refurb the light it can be done. I would probably touch it up with some vinegar to clean up any corrosion, then possibly hitting it with steel wool or fine sand paper to clean up the compartment. If wanting to convert to a general purpose light, I would suggest looking on Amazon. You can buy the conversion LEDs for like $15. Whether or not your battery setup will provide enough current to maximize output is a different story. But if you want you can also do a Lithium battery conversion as well.

I still think it's probably a waste of time and resources. There are simply better options out there, I got a fairly cheap flashlight a few years ago that when combined with Lipo batteries and placed in the flood light position will light up the entire neighborhood at night...I'm not exagerating here... Also fits in completely in the pocket. But to each their own...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Remove the batteries and the light switch. If it's alkaline battery leak you can clean with vinegar and a toothbrush. Gloves too. Rinse with water and dry completely. Vinegar is cheap. If the corrosion is too extensive just chuck it.

Boolit Master
    The majority of small LED flashlights I've bought have been notorious for eating AAA or AA batteries in just a few months while sitting in the house unused. A lot of switches have also failed. They eventually end up in the garbage. On the other hand, I have a LED Maglite with 3 D cell batteries that puts lots of light and I've never replaced the batteries. It's probably 10 years old. It is as dependable as a pipe wrench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The new LED flashlights are much lighter and brighter than my old Mag Lights.
    The Mag Lights are now obsolete as far as I'm concerned.
    IMO, they were the best in their day.
    But the new ones don't make the special sound when applied to someone's head.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    The majority of small LED flashlights I've bought have been notorious for eating AAA or AA batteries in just a few months while sitting in the house unused. A lot of switches have also failed. They eventually end up in the garbage. On the other hand, I have a LED Maglite with 3 D cell batteries that puts lots of light and I've never replaced the batteries. It's probably 10 years old. It is as dependable as a pipe wrench.
    I am guessing you don't use it very much. Just have it for just in case. If you need it to work, how long will the 10 year old batteries last? I hope you have a fresh change of batteries on hand.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Everything a Maglite always wanted to be.
    Even starts fires.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flashlight.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	323145

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I've had the opposite. The only small LED lights that eat batteries are the ones I don't use. Maglites are the same. Problem is because of the size of the Maglites they never got used so all of them had corroded batteries in them. And, yeah, one of them was over 15yrs old.

I just wish I had these things when I was in the Army. What a far cry from the old elbow flashlights.

Boolit Master

If you like the Maglite style, Maglite makes a very powerful ML300L that uses D cell alkaline batteries. It is as bright (1002 lumens) as the other modern rechargeable LED lights. I just got one to keep in my truck and am happy with it. You can use rechargeable batteries if you want with an option to use throw-aways if you cannot do a recharge.

I have a half dozen or so of the old style Maglites that either came with LED bulbs or have a conversion installed. They are no where as bright as the modern flashlights. But most of them are placed in our house or outbuildings to use in the event of a power outage. 600 or 100 lumens is not required for us for this purpose. One just has to make sure to the swap out batteries before they leak or swell (whenever this is).

I like the smaller Surefire lights for carrying when out on a motorcycle or attached to a rifle. They offer lots of power in a small package. They just don't have long battery life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast