Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can a mag light be worked over

Boolit Master

can a mag light be worked over

got two that have bult up all oner the battary compartment
    Last edited by wgr; 02-05-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    got two that have bult uu all oner the battary compartment
    Not sure what you are asking?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

You can repair them pretty easily,,,, unless you need a new switch.
    Then it gets complicated.

With the new generation rechargeable flashlights, they're sort of becoming obsolete.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I have 3 old 5 cell maglites some have other names one says Prolight I had rebuilt them several times and looked at the L.E.D. bulb but decided against it as it was not bright enough and to get bright enough a better heat sink needs to be added .
    For Years I ran those old 5 cell lights with a 4 cell Kypton bulb and thought the was bright until the L.E.D. lights came out now they outperform some of the older Q Beam lights !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

The new LED flashlights are much lighter and brighter than my old Mag Lights.
    The Mag Lights are now obsolete as far as I'm concerned.
    IMO, they were the best in their day.

Vendor Sponsor

Eveready replaced two of my mini mag lites and Duracell sent me a $10 check for damage to a third one caused by their batteries. File a claim with the battery maker. Here is where it pays to buy a US name brand battery.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Save the bodies and end caps. You may need a DIY suppressor some day
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I changed my 3 D-cell over to LED years back and it was a dim disappointment. The 200 lumen advertisement is not accurate at all. Keep in mind you have 1 LED vs even a cheapo Harbor Freight $1 light having a dozen.

Ultimately I retired all 6 of my old Mag-Lites because the cost of D-cell batteries for 1 light is greater than the cost of an entire new LED flashlight that is 100X brighter and uses cheaper AA batteries.

Sadly it is time to move on from them. All of my battery powered tools are 18V Ryobi and I have 2 flashlights that use those batteries. They put the brightest Mag-Lite to shame and the batteries are rechargeable.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy

Worthy to convert the AA minis, did both of mine, huge improvement in lumen output with reduced battery drain. Left the C & D versions as is.

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    got two that have bult uu all oner the battary compartment
    I too am uncertain what you are asking for, but if you're looking for high quality upgrades you should check out Malkoff at https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...nd-accessories
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Boolit Master
    Not relevant to the OP question but last year I was going through an old tool box and found 2 Energizer "D" cells in a package that had a use before date in 1992. Put them in an old flashlight and they are still going strong!
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Not relevant to the OP question but last year I was going through an old tool box and found 2 Energizer "D" cells in a package that had a use before date in 1992. Put them in an old flashlight and they are still going strong!
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I use a Maglite 3D and a Mini AA. They are good lights, but they are old school. I primarily use a Streamlight Stylus Pro that I carry in my back pocket next to my wallet.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Moderator Emeritus

they can not be rebuilt if they have been "bult uu all oner "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    they can not be rebuilt if they have been "bult uu all oner "
    Ha,ha! I figured he meant the batteries dumped their acid which is usually the case with mag-lites.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    It's been brought up before. There was even a thread a while back about this very same topic. The real question is: Why bother?

Sure you can get LED conversions, and if you're decently smart with electronics you can wire up a LiPo batter/charging circuit for it. But again, why bother? You can buy a quality LED light for almost nothing these days, lights that will last for decades. The Maglite has been outdated for over 20 years. Seriously! I have a Surefire Weaponlight I picked up in the early days of the Afghan war that I changed out the bulb for a $5 LED bulb, and CR123A batteries for a single $3 LiPo 18650 rechargeable, and it's 10x brighter than my last Maglite ever was. And that Surefire is far more durable than that Maglite could ever think about being.

To answer the question directly, yes you can repair and upgrade the light. But I point back to my previous question: Why bother?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    It's been brought up before. There was even a thread a while back about this very same topic. The real question is: Why bother?

Sure you can get LED conversions, and if you're decently smart with electronics you can wire up a LiPo batter/charging circuit for it. But again, why bother? You can buy a quality LED light for almost nothing these days, lights that will last for decades. The Maglite has been outdated for over 20 years. Seriously! I have a Surefire Weaponlight I picked up in the early days of the Afghan war that I changed out the bulb for a $5 LED bulb, and CR123A batteries for a single $3 LiPo 18650 rechargeable, and it's 10x brighter than my last Maglite ever was. And that Surefire is far more durable than that Maglite could ever think about being.

To answer the question directly, yes you can repair and upgrade the light. But I point back to my previous question: Why bother?
    Why bother? A very close buddy was a LEO, and he often said he'd never go out on a call without his 6- or 8- (?) D-cell mag-lite flashlight -- even in mid-afternoon on a bright, sunny day . With all the paperwork, etc., following, say, an arrest, there was none for using your flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post

The resulting flashlight is far superior to most of the sub-$200.00 flashlights on the market. I have three 3 cell Maglights to upgrade as funds permit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Why bother? A very close buddy was a LEO, and he often said he'd never go out on a call without his 6- or 8- (?) D-cell mag-lite flashlight -- even in mid-afternoon on a bright, sunny day . With all the paperwork, etc., following, say, an arrest, there was none for using your flashlight.
    Yeah, that might have been the case Pre-Rodney King. But that is most definitely not the case in the last 30 years. Use of force includes non-lethal.

Besides, there are better tools for that use today.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast