Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can a mag light be worked over

Boolit Master

My father had one in which the batteries had swelled and stuck in the tube. I tried every solution on the internet. I tried soaking with oil, kroil and atf fluid. I tried heat and time
    Drilled a hole in the battery to relive pressure. I tried pounding them out. After ruining the tube I gave up.

I had a 'D' cell one that the batteries rotted and swelled up.
    I ended up putting the biggest screw into the battery I could find and pulled it out with that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I keep two streamlight stinger hl flashlights in rotation in or around my toolbox.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Why bother? A very close buddy was a LEO, and he often said he'd never go out on a call without his 6- or 8- (?) D-cell mag-lite flashlight -- even in mid-afternoon on a bright, sunny day . With all the paperwork, etc., following, say, an arrest, there was none for using your flashlight.
    Yep they make a heck of a club. Would be nice to keep the same weight but with modern performance.

Alkaline batteries can and do leak.
    Lithium batteries are a better choice for things you don't check often.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    I keep two streamlight stinger hl flashlights in rotation in or around my toolbox.
    I used some of these at work before I retired and believe me, they are everything they are cracked up to be. Ever since I had 2 bulbs go kaput while walking out of the woods after hunting in some nights so dark I couldn't see the trail, I never carried a Mag Lite again. Now I use Streamlite head band LED's and there is a spare in my pack!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Everything a Maglite always wanted to be.
    Even starts fires.Attachment 323145
    I think that's the same brand that I have that lights up the entire neighborhood at night... Not the same light, but the same brand. I see it has the sliding focus on it. If so it does a very narrow high intensity beam, and a really wide flood type beam. That's an awesome light....I keep it in my glovebox.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

My son gave me a Fenix that runs of 12 CR123 batteries and it is a handheld flashlight. Darned near got me put in jail. Game warden thought I was spotlighting deer on the way out of woods. I have one of the huge cyclops 12v lights and it is brighter than that one. We've come a long way baby!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Yep they make a heck of a club. Would be nice to keep the same weight but with modern performance.
    A 5 cell Mag Lite resides in the drivers compartment of every vehicle we have for this reason. Travel to States with no Concealed carry Repriprocity - the Mag lites are in the Drivers compartment. Stopped for a "Wellness Check" by LEO's who do not know their constitutional limitations - Oh that lite is in here so if I have a flat or problem on the road I do not have to get it out of the trunk/bed of pickup in the dark. Meanwhile - "Car Jacker" can get a significant wallop if they try our vehicles.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    This was a good reminder:

I need to update my two 3xC -battery Maglites to LED.

I LED:ded a long D-size, (maybe six batteries?) about 15 years ago and like the solid mechanical construction and battery life with LED. A big plus for me is,those big long obsolete Maglites are difficult to lose. Beam is not perfect (an empty spot in the middle with wide beam setting) but bright and good enough with the original reflector.

I'd say Maglites have all been very reliable.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wal Mart use to carry a led flashlight that was about the size of the "tire thumpers" the truckers use. Bright little sucker and would work fine for a "thumper". Too bad they stopped carrying them

Just picked up a couple of led lights in the sporting goods section of WM. They are 475 lumen and were $6.50 on clearance

I carried a 3 D cell Mag Light as a firefighter. Good light, but that was some time ago, and there are better lights on the market now. I’ll have to say, though, it was pretty comforting on more than one occasion.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Everyone seems to only own Mag Lites that are not LED? Am I the only person that owns a Mag
    Lite that was built new with an LED? It uses 3 D cells and they last and last. Puts out lots of light and the switch is very durable. Nothing negative about it that I can see except that it's big and that can be a plus if you want it to be as has already been discussed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The new LED flashlights are much lighter and brighter than my old Mag Lights.
    The Mag Lights are now obsolete as far as I'm concerned.
    IMO, they were the best in their day.
    Wrong.

Nothing says Hello like a crack over the noggin with a 6D Maglight.
    You ever wonder why the cops always held the flashlight near the head with the rest of the flashlight over their shoulder?
    It's so they could quickly crack you with it.

Boolit Master

I converted my '70's mag lights with the Malkoff bulbs mentioned earlier, they are great, VERY bright and the mag lights are the earlier, tougher models. They are indestructable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123