WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolit Shooters in Texas??

Boolit Grand Master

Cast Boolit Shooters in Texas??

Folks,

Going to be moving to Waco/Temple/Killeen area.
    I won't be able to haul most of my lead poundage. Going to have to start over.
    Any of you in this area or nearby to help out a fellow cast Boolit shooter with
    a lead purchase???

I see several ranges in the area, but many are indoor ranges. Where do most folks shoot
    Private properties around Texas??

Let me know

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Welcome to Texas. I'm up the road 100 miles or so, not far in Texas.

You can order lead from a vender or two on this site if in need and have it shipped to your door. I scrounged all of mine over the years and no longer need any at my age. I was a highway inspector and found many pounds on the side of the roads at RR crossings, speed bumps, intersections, accident sites, etc... Go for a walk and look, they are there, just not many lead ones left.

You can check the local Lowes or Home Depot for damaged lead flashing or shower pans and get it at a reduction, tire shops, radiator shops, etc... I stay away from Craigslist and Marketplace for lead, never know what you're getting. Ask around gun ranges as to who casts their own. All the same places you looked where you currently live.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

The best deal I've found is to scrounge it where ever you shoot at.
    Not all, but most places will let you mine the butts if you ask, or make your best deal with the range master.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

Wish I could join you, enjoy Texas!

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

What are you looking for range wise, bpcr, gong, cba matches???

Boolit Master
    Just a thought; if you buy lead you're going to have to pay for shipping. If you already own lead then the only thing that you'll have to pay for is the shipping. You may have too much lead for you to haul across the country by yourself, but shipping companies do stuff like this all the time. It would probably cost you a lot less to have someone deliver your lead to a new place than it would to start over. If it were me I'd get a pallet, box it up, then arrange for a shipping company to deliver it to my new address.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Just a thought; if you buy lead you're going to have to pay for shipping. If you already own lead then the only thing that you'll have to pay for is the shipping. You may have too much lead for you to haul across the country by yourself, but shipping companies do stuff like this all the time. It would probably cost you a lot less to have someone deliver your lead to a new place than it would to start over. If it were me I'd get a pallet, box it up, then arrange for a shipping company to deliver it to my new address.
    Good post. I would at least look at the cost of having it shipped if you have good alloy. I know you can ship 70 lbs via USPS for $18.40 in a medium Flat Rate Box...less than $.30/lb.

I once had 50k bullets (over 900 lbs) shipped USPS and the PO was PO'ed. I had to go there to pick them up as they refused to deliver them. But they were kind enough to loan me a cart to get the boxes to the vehicle.
    Don Verna

I am close to Slim1836 but wishing I was closer. Let me know what you like to shoot.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good post. I would at least look at the cost of having it shipped if you have good alloy. I know you can ship 70 lbs via USPS for $18.40 in a medium Flat Rate Box...less than $.30/lb.

I once had 50k bullets (over 900 lbs) shipped USPS and the PO was PO'ed. I had to go there to pick them up as they refused to deliver them. But they were kind enough to loan me a cart to get the boxes to the vehicle.
    They didn't like it when I had 10,000 honey bees shipped to them and one got loose! They wouldn't deliver those either.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on how you're moving, it might be best to take it with you. When I moved to texas I rented a separate truck for my safes, ammo and lead. Won't even go into the weight but it was significant. Welcome to the State.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to Texas Shiloh. I’m a little over 100 miles southeast of Waco, so too far to be of much help to you. There are a lot of places to shoot in Texas. Once you get your feet on the ground, finding a place to shoot should not be a problem. The base of most of the alloys I shoot are wheel weights I scrounge. My long time tire guy gives me 1-2 five gallon buckets a month and I keep him in empty buckets. Shake the bushes when you get here. You should be able to source casting materials without too much trouble.
    Willie

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    What are you looking for range wise, bpcr, gong, cba matches???
    Looking for a place to shoot. 100 yard, 200 yard gongs, Steel plates. I don't have the flexibility for Defensive Pistol matches anymore.
    High-power is done. I can't get into the shooting positions.

Pretty much shooting rifle off the bench, off hand pistol. Some ranges are listed on google. My guess is there are
    others that aren't

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Welcome to Texas Shiloh. I’m a little over 100 miles southeast of Waco, so too far to be of much help to you. There are a lot of places to shoot in Texas. Once you get your feet on the ground, finding a place to shoot should not be a problem. The base of most of the alloys I shoot are wheel weights I scrounge. My long time tire guy gives me 1-2 five gallon buckets a month and I keep him in empty buckets. Shake the bushes when you get here. You should be able to source casting materials without too much trouble.
    Willie
    Thanks so much Willie. I really appreciate it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post

Does USPS ship bulk?? Are there freight companies that do heavy weight to residential areas??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I have about 400 lbs. Probably going to ship my powder and primers.
    All of this is moot if the movers will take powder, primers, and ammo. Some do, Some don't.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

I made the mistake of selling my lead when I moved thinking that I would be able to just buy more.
    Big mistake! That was almost 20 years ago and the price of lead had taken a huge jump!
    It took a while to restock a sufficient quantity and I spent more than I got when I sold my stash.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I have about 400 lbs. Probably going to ship my powder and primers.
    All of this is moot if the movers will take powder, primers, and ammo. Some do, Some don't.

Shiloh
    You cannot legally ship powders and primers without HazMat. When I moved, the moving company would not take them or ammunition. I only moved 220 miles and moved them myself.

I have heard of people lying about what is stuffed in boxes, but with my luck something would happen and I would end up liable.
    Don Verna

When I had moved from MA and then to AZ and then to IA I took all my reloading supplies with me including the lead I had at time. I got myself and moving truck and load it myself and moved it. Even my traps I have at the time I took them also and gear for trapping . It was worth it then and did not had to look for replacements on any of it. I did had some that was trying to buy all my traps from me saying I will not need them where I moved . I told them they all coming with me. This is what worked for me. I moved more then once in a years time back then and di not left anything behind. You better off to move it yourself then have someone do it for you , since you might be driving yourself there . Take your things that you asked about with you.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ve been watching this thread for three days. Debating whether I should ask if the lead stash has already been sold? I’d seriously consider driving across four states and unknown hundreds of miles to get it!

I’ve moved lead ingots in the past by stacking them neatly in the floorboards of cars. Doesn’t take up much space. Keeps the weight low and distributed equally. Even my little three cylinder engine, Geo Metro was rated to haul 660 lbs. Subtract my weight and the balance is cargo...
    Last edited by Barry54; 02-07-2024 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Boolit Master
    You should be able to find a freight company to move it. Just look one up 'in the book' and check to see if they are bonded/insured. You can also ask about hazmat. IIRC UPS/FedEx can do it but may be overly expensive. 'Std' freight needs it ready to go on a pallet and packaged, with access by a hand forklift.

See what the prices are, then compare to a uhaul rental, then compare that to the cost of buying new lead/powder/primers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast