Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Well, we kept the light on for you......

Well, we kept the light on for you......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007496.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	323058

Well...it could have been for you, wandering around out there in the trees and snow, maybe checking your trap line or just pain lost. Actually, we had a 3 1/2 hr. power outage, and I thought I'd just share this photo of a fantastic candle melt!

DG

May I suggest a generator..... Keeps the lights on here in these woods. Last week another storm, ran half the night. A tree down across the lines about two miles down the road.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007496.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	323058

Well...it could have been for you, wandering around out there in the trees and snow, maybe checking your trap line or just pain lost. Actually, we had a 3 1/2 hr. power outage, and I thought I'd just share this photo of a fantastic candle melt!

DG

LIKE LIKE LIKE ! ! !

hitting my Like Button
    Fantastic Candle Melts remind me of the 1960's !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Thats cool it also reminds me when I was a young boy.

Boolit Master
    All I can think is WOW! No wind!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Say, I'm glad that someone appreciates unusual art. I always liked those chianti bottles in the wicker basket that had dozens of different colored candles melted down over the sides.

Like lots of members here, I'm a dinosaur. I mostly grew up in the 1950s on my dad's cattle ranch. It was 1 mile to the nearest neighbor, 5 more to the next one, 9 total to the town of 250 people. 36 miles to the big town of 2,500 people. We went once a month for supplies. We had no electricity, but we did have a WW II surplus generator taken from the deck of an aircraft carrier. My dad would start it up once a week for a couple of hours to allow my mom to run the washing machine. No drier-- clothes were hung on a clothesline. Lighting was by kerosene lamp. One was an Aladdin with a mantle which was bright enough for my brother and I to do our homework on the kitchen table at night. We bought kerosene by the 55 gal. drum, as the refrigerator (Servel) and kitchen stove also ran on kerosene. Heating was entirely by wood. Maybe I never really grew up, because although my home has a central electric furnace I still heat with wood.

I always laugh when you hear someone say that they walked a mile to catch the school bus, a mile home, and it was uphill both ways. We did walk a mile to the school bus, and the first half mile was downhill, and the second uphill, so it was half true. When it snowed too much for the fearless lady who drove the little bus to make it to the one mile rendezvous we were expected to meet it 3 miles away. A couple of winters we walked the 3 miles to and from in the snow, but most winters we home schooled and had no problems at all in keeping up. But the school administration hated it because they got paid per student attendance by the state.

My wife is a stroke victim, and very dependent on the TV for entertainment. When the power goes out, not often, she is completely at a loss. So I sat with her and I have a small CD player that runs on batteries. We listened to some '60s - '80s Country Music, then an album by The Carpenters. Remember them? I don't know what a lot of people seemed to have against them, maybe because they seemed to be decent, straight laced people. Karen Carpenter was quite the singer. When it started getting dark I broke out the kerosene lamps and candles, and started thinking about dinner. I have a good stockpile of groceries here because you never know about the winters, and I opened a large sized can of Chicken & Rice soup. Put it in a pot on the woodstove, and it was bubbling in only about 10 minutes. I dished it up in some nice soup cups we have, and right about then the power came back on. The entire episode sure brought back memories.

Well, the way things are going in this world, our past may well become our future.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 02-04-2024 at 10:34 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Say, I'm glad that someone appreciates unusual art. I always liked those chianti bottles in the wicker basket that had dozens of different colored candles melted down over the sides.

Like lots of members here, I'm a dinosaur. I mostly grew up in the 1950s on my dad's cattle ranch. It was 1 mile to the nearest neighbor, 5 more to the next one, 9 total to the town of 250 people. 36 miles to the big town of 2,500 people. We went once a month for supplies. We had no electricity, but we did have a WW II surplus generator taken from the deck of an aircraft carrier. My dad would start it up once a week for a couple of hours to allow my mom to run the washing machine. No drier-- clothes were hung on a clothesline. Lighting was by kerosene lamp. One was an Aladdin with a mantle which was bright enough for my brother and I to do our homework on the kitchen table at night. We bought kerosene by the 55 gal. drum, as the refrigerator (Servel) and kitchen stove also ran on kerosene. Heating was entirely by wood. Maybe I never really grew up, because although my home has a central electric furnace I still heat with wood.

I always laugh when you hear someone say that they walked a mile to catch the school bus, a mile home, and it was uphill both ways. We did walk a mile to the school bus, and the first half mile was downhill, and the second uphill, so it was half true. When it snowed too much for the fearless lady who drove the little bus to make it to the one mile rendezvous we were expected to meet it 3 miles away. A couple of winters we walked the 3 miles to and from in the snow, but most winters we home schooled and had no problems at all in keeping up. But the school administration hated it because they got paid per student attendance by the state.

My wife is a stroke victim, and very dependent on the TV for entertainment. When the power goes out, not often, she is completely at a loss. So I sat with her and I have a small CD player that runs on batteries. We listened to some '60s - '80s Country Music, then an album by The Carpenters. Remember them? I don't know what a lot of people seemed to have against them, maybe because they seemed to be decent, straight laced people. Karen Carpenter was quite the singer. When it started getting dark I broke out the kerosene lamps and candles, and started thinking about dinner. I have a good stockpile of groceries here because you never know about the winters, and I opened a large sized can of Chicken & Rice soup. Put it in a pot on the woodstove, and it was bubbling in only about 10 minutes. I dished it up in some nice soup cups we have, and right about then the power came back on. The entire episode sure brought back memories.

Well, the way things are going in this world, our past may well become our future.

DG
    You Sir, are a lucky man. I also remember the bottles in baskets with the candle wax down the sides. My Mom did them. Thanks for the memory.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

LIKE LIKE LIKE ! ! !

hitting my Like Button
    Fantastic Candle Melts remind me of the 1960's !
    Gary
    Lava lamps
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    We live in a fairly rural area, eight miles to the nearest store. In the early eighties we almost always lost power for several days when we had much snow. I would fill the bathtub with water and put up some drinking water, latter upgraded to a 55 gal plastic barrel. I heat with wood and we cooked on gas at the time. I would fill the frig drawers with snow and ice. I still have some hooks in the ceiling that were used to hang lanterns. Not as many problems now but I keep a generator and have propane lanterns and camp stoves.

My two girls were very young but still talk about the time the power went out while I was cooking. I quickly hung a lantern in the kitchen and finished cooking. We ate supper pick-nick style setting in the kitchen floor. I heated water on the wood heater and we cleaned up. I guess it was just something unusual but they were all in.

It doesn't take much but a few things and a little planning turn a power outage from a major malfunction to a mild annoyance.

The candle looks like angel wings.

Boolit Man
    Big storm here in NorCal last night, got home from work and the power was out. Lit the oil lamps and opened a bottle of wine... Didn't miss the tv a bit.