Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Rough Cut English Walnut Stock

Rough Cut English Walnut Stock

The story of a simple 96 Mauser conversion to a 358 Winchester just continues to get a step more complicated. I started out doing a simple to plan conversion on a brand new 1943 Husky action that I had for decades, to a 358 Win. Every step has added a new level of unexpected complication, little stuff.
    Finallly got to cutting out the stock from one of my blanks, the band saw went south. So to expedite the build, while I rebuilt the band saw, I ordered a normally 6 week out, rough cut English walnut stock from Richards. 10 months later, last Friday to be exact, the stock arrived, just a bit different than I ordered, but....I can work with it.
    I wanted a straight grain with some slight black highlights, got that part, which is the important feature when done. Now the inletting, final fitting, glass bedding and finishing starts.
    This is a photo the rough cut, the maple spacers were not ordered. If they get to be too much, I will just cut the tip and cap off at the spacer thus removing the spacer itself in the process and remount the tip and cap to the walnut using hardwood dowels and glue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0643.jpeg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I was kicking around ordering a stock from them just this morning. Ten months?? I hope they didn’t charge up front. Chamber reamers seem to go from eight weeks to ten months too, but they don’t run your payment until they ship.

I understand your less than enthusiastic reaction to the maple spacers. But who knows, they might end up being fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking piece of wood. Wow, 10 months for a stock, used to get semi-inletted from them as well as Fajen within 10 days.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Yep, I was shocked also, but today is like another world. Had I known, I would have just repaired the saw and cut my own blank, and been done.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Well, the multi model cut, as is similar to the Timney trigger multi model, is close but no real fit, both were a bit too small, so this is what the finished rifle is starting to look like when inletted, got a bit of reduction to do on the outside dimensions for sure. A bit of expansion is still needed on the inletting for the glass bedding, ejection port, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0659.jpg   IMG_0658.jpg   IMG_0656.jpg  
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

It's looking pretty awesome to me.

The thumbhole stock will help with recoil also.
    Following this, looking good!
    I’ve used Richard’s in the past, both stocks had correctable problems but very nice figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the Dual Grip style It is reported to reduce felt recoil by 25% and is comfortable to carry. When finished the barrel will be free floated, action and bottom metal 100% Arcraglass beded, in and out will have a sanded in, Pro Custom Oil finish. It is a few months from being finished as in our humidity, it can take 8 months to finish a stock. The sanded in oil, is a tough finish, but a long term process.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Pushing ahead, removing a bit more wood, here and there. Wood is odd, easier to remove than add back. So I go slow.
    I noticed that the English was pretty brittle so decided to add a cross bolt on the 358 behind the recoil lug area.
    I have described this process to several folks but never took photos of the process. A cross bolt jig, corbi bolts, matching wood type dowel caps aligned to the grain, cut with a dowel cutter, glued at the bottom, planed off, filled with sanding dust and finished with the stock.
    Glass bedding, the action and the bottom metal 100%, is the next step, with the barrel free floated, action to muzzle.
    Some of the tools and barrel channel scraper, blackening torch
    Cross bolt jig
    Square and centering setup of the jig
    Drill 1/4" hole for shank each side, then the head counter sink hole
    Corbi bolt mounted and tightened
    English walnut 3 piece for-end in mill with dowel cutter
    Dowels cut ready to be popped out
    Dowel cap glued in place, ready to be planed off then sanded and filled w sanded in stock finish.

The roughed surface of the inlet is 100% on purpose, in order to hold the glass beddng. Making a smooth surface cut for glass bedding can be a major mistake if and when it starts to peel or crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0661.jpeg   IMG_0662.jpeg   IMG_0663.jpg   IMG_0664.jpg   IMG_0665.jpeg  

IMG_0667.jpeg   IMG_0669.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 03-05-2024 at 01:17 PM.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Rapier: Excellent work on the stock. I've added cross bolts using a similar method to the one in your post. I usually put a cross bolt at both the recoil lug area, and ahead of the trigger assembly. The one thing that I do differently from yours is that I make the wood plugs that cover the bolt out of the same wood that I use for the forearm tip and grip cap. Instead of trying to hide the cross bolts I make them stand out as part of the stock.

Boolit Grand Master
    That cross bolt jig makes it look easier than it really is. Kind of wish I had bought one back in the day.

I have always done the internal glassed in recoil bolts for fear of making a non-fixable visible oops. So far they have worked.

Robert

I usually do the cross bolt caps using the forend tip and cap material as well, plus turning the grain at 90 degrees. I have some I have done without a cap, the old fashioned look of a steel bolt head showing.
    In this instance I decided to use English walnut on an English walnut stock, running with the gain. Just to make a difference. No hiding the caps as they are a couple shades lighter in color, just a different look on this stock.

On the heavy recoil stocks, I also put two cross bolts through the stock. The DG rifles like the 458 Lott get a 7" long 3/8" SS all thread rod glassed into the wrist in addition.
    The bolts are fitted, then Acraglass gel bedded into the stock, using a long thin screwdriver blade/shank, so they do not ever come out once tightened.

This is a 458 Lott MRC, in a Bastogne walnut with Madagascar Ebony tip, cap, and bolt caps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0302.jpg  
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Ground off the excess wood sticking up past the sock surface on the cross bolt caps, then Acraglass bedded the action and the bottom metal today. Finished at 3:00 PM, at 6:00 PM I will check it. Make sure the two part mix is setting up correctly. Use a knife edge sharpened pop-cycle stick to cut off the semi-hard excess without scratching the metal. Then pop out the metal tomorrow afternoon.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Well dad gum, the glass bedding did not set up correctly and after 5-6 days got just hard enough to cut with a very course spiral cutter, only hard enough to remove was all. Done hundreds, first one to fail, guess it is just a matter of time. Hardener was multi shades of brown, so lesson learned
    Tossed the old hardener, and will go at it again tomorrow.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Got the metal re-bedded with new hardener, worked like a champ.
    Now waiting the 24 hours for full setup. Then start the metal final internal fitting, stock sanding down to the sanded paste and oil pore fill stage and then the sanded in final finish. Long ways to go, yet.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Love your project, although I’m not a fan of thumb hole stocks, I think you’ve got a nice looking rifle there.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Mold
    Interesting project, how are the maple spacers growing on you?

The white spacers and line were not to be on that stock. Was ordered without. I will just fix that myself. Not major surgery with a power miter box. I have Packmeyer grind to fit, black pads and a recoil pad jig in any case.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The white spacers and line were not to be on that stock. Was ordered without. I will just fix that myself. Not major surgery with a power miter box. I have Packmeyer grind to fit, black pads and a recoil pad jig in any case.
    FWIW, I'd first stain the spacers to match the stock wood and see how that looks.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Yep, did the first 120 grit rough sanding, so now would be a good place to try the stain and/or ink, if no joy, it can be cut off with the 120 pretty quick. When doing such, a shade darker than you want is usually better.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers