Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Need help! New here. H322 start load for 4570 henry

Boolit Mold

Need help! New here. H322 start load for 4570 henry

Hi so I'm new here I figured this would be the best place to reach out I had trouble figuring out how to even post a thread so if I posted in the wrong area my apologies. So I cannot find any safe published data for a load I'm trying to work up for my new Henry Steel lever action 45-70. The only powder I have to my knowledge that will work is h322 and I'm supposed to go to the range tomorrow and I really want to make these loads. I have only berries 350gr rs copper plated.... I actually have several 45-70 molds but I'm waiting on a sizing die I tried testing and slugging the barrel and they will barely go in and extract so they need to be sized so this is all I have to work with for now and I just want a decently safe starting load that's not going to blow the gun apart in my hands normally I'm not too shy about loading I'll load full power h110 loads for my 460 magnum as long as it's published data. But I can't find any on this 4570. I do have some other powders and I read that some other powders can be used but I don't think I have any that can be I'm mainly a hogdon in person I really like their powder and it seems to work well for me. My guest based on my research would be somewhere between the 40 and 45 grain range for a starting load for that size bullet to keep it under 30,000 PSI? Any help would be appreciated thank you

My lee book has a load for modern 95 lever action rifles that uses H322 with a 400 grain jacketed bullet using 50 grains of powder. Do not use in trapdoors.
    Not a lot of info for that powder in the lee book.

My Hodgdon book 25th edition has 350 gn jacketed bullet load listed with starting grains at 54 and max at 58 After looking at the 50th edition Lyman book this is too Heavy.
    start vel 1672, max vel1858
    this is with H322

These loads are listed as heavy loads for Ruger or Model 1895 Marlin only.
    This book is 1988 vintage so the Henry was not around yet, I am guessing the Henry is at least equal to the Marlin of that period.

Looking at my 50th edition Lyman book the starting load is 45 gr for H322 and Max 51 gr
    Last edited by elmacgyver0; 02-04-2024 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumphandlerandall View Post
    Hi so I'm new here I figured this would be the best place to reach out I had trouble figuring out how to even post a thread so if I posted in the wrong area my apologies. So I cannot find any safe published data for a load I'm trying to work up for my new Henry Steel lever action 45-70. The only powder I have to my knowledge that will work is h322 and I'm supposed to go to the range tomorrow and I really want to make these loads. I have only berries 350gr rs copper plated.... I actually have several 45-70 molds but I'm waiting on a sizing die I tried testing and slugging the barrel and they will barely go in and extract so they need to be sized so this is all I have to work with for now and I just want a decently safe starting load that's not going to blow the gun apart in my hands normally I'm not too shy about loading I'll load full power h110 loads for my 460 magnum as long as it's published data. But I can't find any on this 4570. I do have some other powders and I read that some other powders can be used but I don't think I have any that can be I'm mainly a hogdon in person I really like their powder and it seems to work well for me. My guest based on my research would be somewhere between the 40 and 45 grain range for a starting load for that size bullet to keep it under 30,000 PSI? Any help would be appreciated thank you
    Max load for at least a Marlin 1895 by the famous Ranch Dog and his 350 gr boolit design is 53.1 grains but you should reduce this by 10 percent and start there. I must worn you though when you get near 53.0g with H-322 it will be a brain rattler. However I have found it to be very accurate with this powder. Good Luck. P.S. if you would like more load information do a goodle search for ranchdog 45=70 load notes. RanchDog had a huge list of powders and loads.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you should invest in more books /take the time to read them /go on H load data online/ there's a reason you cant find much as there's better more suited powders you just don't have them yet . And do not go for max , try middle of the road and last stay home and wait for the mailman as he will have mandatory tools that you should have ordered a while ago /Ed

Boolit Buddy

Hodgdon has data on their website, as do most bullet mfgs. I have used H322 for full power loads, but would not recommend them for plated bullets.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    All I can say is my Henry loves 13 grains Unique with a LP primer under every boolit I've tried. Fun and accurate, and should unalive anything no problemo at woods range.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.