Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Dillon 650 help

Boolit Mold

Dillon 650 help

I have used my for 18 years just fine. Done only handgun rounds on it. Now I decided to branch out and do .556. Bought a Dillon conversion and set it up. My question is, with handgun rounds I just pull the lever and advance. With .556 I have to steady the case or guide it because they fit loosely. Is that normal? Not very ideal in my opinion. What can I do to fix this if it isn’t normal?

Boolit Master
    At the risk of insulting you, which is not my intention, look up which shell plate and which buttons you’re supposed to use and confirm that you’re using them.

Edit: it’s the #3 shellplate and #3 locator pins.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check if the shell plate is the correct one?
    Don Verna

On mine, occasionally, the brass may not go all the way into station #1. This will cause it to catch on the de-capping pin and dent the case mouth. The press has to be fine tuned with its adjustments when going between pistol and rifle calibers.

Beyond adjustments: make sure the shell plate does not have any trash in the groove where the case rim sits, and keep all five stations loaded with brass-the crimp die will help the shell plate align as the bullet enters the die.

Moderator Emeritus
    It sounds like your shell plate is too loose.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    It sounds like your shell plate is too loose.
    ^^This^^

Tighten down that bolt in the middle a bit.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    What folks posted about the shell plate bolt. but be sure to loosen then re-tighten the bolt locking screw. It is located in the side of the ram, which must be raised a it to access.

45_Colt

Boolit Mold
    Thank y’all. It is the correct #3 plate and pins. I tightened it and that fixed most of it. Still have to guide the first station a little. But I successfully reloaded some.

The guideline for shellplate bolt tightness I use is to push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be a bit tighter.
    It helps to lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt. This allows you to run the bolt tighter without the shellplate binding as it advances.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edm View Post
    Thank y’all. It is the correct #3 plate and pins. I tightened it and that fixed most of it. Still have to guide the first station a little. But I successfully reloaded some.
    Brass not going into the first station consistently makes me think you should clean all the parts between the case feeder drop tube and the press, might be something preventing proper movement. Also worth checking that you have the correct #3 station 1 locator installed.

Boolit Buddy
    for loading the brass to the 1st station if the pusher is not sending the brass all the way into the shell plate , check the ejection spring make sure it is not rubbing against the pusher bloc and you can also check the pusher block were the side adjustment screw screws into the thread insert in the plastic block that the plastic is not cracked at the thread insert and I asume you turned the block around to the rifle side
    If the problem is case wobble on index I can suggest some aftermarket parts that will help control it with tall skinny cases

I have found corn cob can get into the shell plate and keep the case from fully seating too.

There are also changes to be made with the case feed itself. Take a look at pages 37-39 of your manual, if you don't have a copy. https://www.dillonprecision.com/medi...al-english.pdf