Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Italian 1858 Revolver ID Help

Boolit Master

Italian 1858 Revolver ID Help

I've done a little 'net browsing to determine point of origin for my 1858 Remington clone.

Thus far, I can say that it was made in 1996 and has the 1951-onward proof used for Gardone & Brescia stamped on the frame.

Top flat of the barrel is marked "HARTFORD CT MODEL" (Why they'd stamp that on a clone of guns that came out of Ilion, NY is a tad mysterious. . .)

5:00 flat of the barrel is marked "SM BLACK POWDER ONLY CAL .44 MADE IN ITALY". My first instinct was that the SM is short for Armi San Marco, but most of what I've found online seems to indicate theirs should be marked "ASM", so I have some uncertainty there.

Serial number is on the bottom barrel flat and bottom of the butt. E48XXX

Anybody have a definitive answer?

The cylinder is an "acquired elsewhere" replacement that I had to fit by reducing the height of the rear ratchet surface until it dropped in and indexed correctly. Only markings it has are Gardone 1951-onward proofs.

Hoping I can figure out the correct spec for replacement nipples (current ones are loose on the caps) and order those and the wrench to install them in one shot.

TIA
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

Do you know what the nipple thread is? Can you measure it, or is that part of the question?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Do you know what the nipple thread is? Can you measure it, or is that part of the question?
    One of the several things I need to order is a narrow nipple wrench that fits so that I can pull the existing nipples out. Only wrench on hand is a fat one for the more exposed nipple of a side-hammer rifle. Hoping that someone will say "AHA! You have X!"

Worst case is that the nipples come on a second order. Trying to not offer up two monetary sacrifices to the Shipping Demons.
    WWJMBD?

My opinion is that your gun is from EMF (the distributor) and made by Army San Marco. I say this because I have an 1860 Army Colt Hartford Model from EMF that is made by ASM which says "SM Black Powder" on the side of the barrel but HARTFORD MODEL on the top of the barrel. There are no Uberti nor Pietta markings on it. I do not believe EMF ever sold ASP/Euroarms revolvers.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Vendor Sponsor

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetai...Powder-Nipples

You may know about them but this is one source. Give them a call and they may know.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    My opinion is that your gun is from EMF (the distributor) and made by Army San Marco. I say this because I have an 1860 Army Colt Hartford Model from EMF that is made by ASM which says "SM Black Powder" on the side of the barrel but HARTFORD MODEL on the top of the barrel. There are no Uberti nor Pietta markings on it. I do not believe EMF ever sold ASP/Euroarms revolvers.
    Best lead I have so far. Thanks!

I'll ask EMF if it's one of theirs.

It still may not 100% solve my problem because I'm not 100% sure of the cylinder's origin and to what degree they can be swapped between manufacturers, but it's a start. I've resurrected weirder on less.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Buddy
    Photos do help. Front sight, proof marks etc. Has it been fired with real ammo or is it one of those made for blanks (re-enactments only). Inquiring minds want to know! Note: there are wrenches made for both revolver and sidelock nipples or you can fab. your own with a 1/4 drive socket (approx 3/16 deep well) and a file or dremel.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Hartford was used as a line name by EMF . I have a Hartford Premier SAA that came from the factory with a trigger job as good as any custom gunsmith could produce and looks to have real color case hardening on the frame rather than the cheap dry looking case coloring that most of the Italian replicas have.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

AFAIK Armi San Marco "should" have GDG stamped somewhere. Mine was imported by Armsport is stamped GDG under the barrel and is stainless.

Here's a parts list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	euroarms_1858_partslist_c.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	323180
    Last edited by gnappi; 02-07-2024 at 03:11 PM.
    Regards,

Gary

This site is squishing the size of the image down and is unreadable. OP, PM me your Email addy and I'll send the full size version to you.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Track of the Wolf got the gun at least confirmed as Armi San Marco, and they provided me with two possible thread specs for the nipples. I was able to obtain a 12-28 bolt from Ace Hardware's "gun screws" tray to test for one. If it's not that, then by elimination, it should be the M6-.75.

Finding gun screws. . .one of the reliable sources for many of my and
    WWJMBD?

ASM, Ruger and Uberti all use thread size 12-28 for their nipples. Euroarms/ASP and Pietta are metric.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    ASM, Ruger and Uberti all use thread size 12-28 for their nipples. Euroarms/ASP and Pietta are metric.
    Good to know. I was able to fab up a nipple wrench out of an old junker socket set, and got one of the nipples out for study. A 12-28 bolt didn't fit, so it's gotta be the M6-.75. Nice that the rest of the cylinder is interchangeable with the gun, at least. TOTW's got an offering that measures within a few thou on all the listed dimensions, so stainless nipples and the other necessary doo-dads are on the way.

WWJMBD?