WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: For thought and meditation Sat Feb 3 2024

USMC 77, USRA 79

For thought and meditation Sat Feb 3 2024

Contentment Is Learned
    by Greg Laurie on Feb 3, 2024

Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.
    —Hebrews 13:5

Often, we think that contentment comes from what we have. We might even say, “If I just had this, then I would be content.” Or “If I were a bit more intelligent,” or “If I were a bit better looking,” or “If I were a little more successful,” or “If I had a bit more money, then . . .” It’s a never-ending pursuit of something that is always just beyond our grasp.

Yet in Philippians 4, the apostle Paul revealed the secret of contentment. He said, “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (verses 12–13 NIV).

Paul was in prison when he made that statement. He didn’t receive his contentment from a theory in a classroom; it was from the school of life. He had experienced pleasure and pain, health and sickness, strength and weakness, wealth and poverty. To some, he was a hero, and to others, he was a villain. But he was someone who had found complete contentment.

Interestingly, Paul used the word “learned.” He had “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.” In the original language, it was a word the pagans generally used at the time to refer to some special attainment or an initiation into some hidden truth.

He used their word to essentially say, “I’ve found the hidden truth. I’ve found the secret of contentment.”

What’s more, the word Paul used for “content” means “self-sufficient.” Therefore, in the context of this epistle, Paul was speaking of sufficiency in Christ. He was saying, “It doesn’t matter where I am. I am content. I can be at the bottom of the bottom and be content there because it is all about my relationship with God.”

Contentment isn’t based on what we have; it is based on who we know. Hebrews 13:5 says, “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you’ ” (NLT).

We often will quote the latter part of that verse, but let’s also consider the entire statement. God is saying, “Be satisfied with what you have because I never will fail you or abandon you.”

God will be with us no matter what we face in life. That is a great assurance. That is where we find our contentment.

As the psalmist David wrote, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need” (Psalm 23:1 NLT). If the Lord really is your Shepherd, then you will find satisfaction and fulfillment in Him. Therefore, if God blesses you with a lot, thank Him. And if you don’t have as much as you would like, recognize that your contentment comes from a relationship with Him.

Paul’s contentment came because of his close and intimate fellowship with Jesus. This lifted him above his circumstances and gave him the strength to deal with whatever came his way.

Have a great day!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    I find that many folks give thanks for their blessings but whine when they do not get what they want. If God granted us every wish, we would be like spoiled children.

I see this across all spectrums of society, but especially with the very wealthy. Their children never grow up. Many remain dependent on "family money" and view it as an entitlement...not a blessing. They expect so much in life they do not deserve.

It is human nature to want things. It drives progress and is not a bad thing. It is destructive if it takes over your life.
    Don Verna

USMC 77, USRA 79

I feel it’s important to back up a little and look at previous verses. It helps set the stage for the reason of contentment. The how to have and the why we have it In the Lord and the Lord alone.

Philippians 4:4-9 NASB
    [4] Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! [5] Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. [6] Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. [7] And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [8] Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. [9] The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Amen, I am complete in Christ.

Boolit Grand Master

We are listening to Bible Recap and we are in Exodus - just like the Israelis as they left Egypt, they seemed never content. The constantly complained to God and to Moses. And throughout history we all seem to be the same. When we don't get what we want we complain. It's only when we rely completely on God that we learn to be content.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!