RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 311440 What gives

Boolit Master

311440 What gives

Everyone says that meplat is where it is at to produce cast boolit effectiveness. That said, only one person here (years ago) and Paco K. have ever talked/bragged on the boolit.

Seems to be a lot of smack even down in that 44 meplat even down in the pistol velocities.

I would ask for opinions, but we all know no one here on the cast BOOLIT web site ever has a strong opinion
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-02-2024 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used that boolit to whack a woodchuck. It was impressive. Bore a caliber sized hole right through, massive blood loss and an instantaneous DRT, as best as I could see. Very accurate and functioned just fine in a tubular mag. Actually one of my more favorite boolits.

Boolit Master
    It is an old design created to solve a problem just like most older designs. It was made for 94 Win, 30-30s when they had no throat, so that the base wouldn’t enter the case. I used it in my 1950 whinny till I quit using the gun. It does what you would expect it to do and admirably. I gave my mold to bullet designer who used it to set up a group buy years ago now. The 30-30 just isn’t powerful enough and new calibers took market share. And since they had longer throats, newer designs became popular till jacketed took over. So it has pretty much passed into history.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it quite a bit in the 7.62x39, very accurate and kills out of proportion to its paper ballistics. I have shot a couple a couple deer with it and my daughter shot a buck a couple years back with a hollow pointed version of this bullet.

JW

Boolit Master
    The #311440 looks like a sledgehammer without a handle. I would suspect that it preforms like a sledgehammer as well.

Boolit Master
    I don't deer hunt with 30 cal. boolits. I use 35 & up. But I would like that mold for that wiley coyote. Bet it would really shine! -06

Boolit Grand Master

That is a neat design !
    I wish I had scored a mould about 25 or 30 years ago when I was hunting Louisiana Hogs and Deer every year ... out of my 30-06 it would surely have done a number on them !
    Good Post !
    Gamsek , thanks for photo's and Link ... Sweet !

So Many Moulds ...So Little Time
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    That boolit has always reminded me of a flying telephone pole, or at the very least a flying hedge corner post. I can not see how it wouldn't do a lot of damage when it hits.

It has to be about the ultimate for those desiring a large meplat.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If you havent seen it this is a good read and may be helpful:

https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/By...e%20311440.pdf

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the mold just never used it.

I've never seen one of these, looks interesting!

Boolit Master

Here is an interesting looking bullet with the same nose but weighs in at 215 grs.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-215H

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got a 4 banger HP from MP-molds . Works in my 308 rather handily. I’d like to use it in my black semi auto 300 BO but it don’t feed good from my clipizine thang . Do to that problem I’m very seriously looking at a Ruger American . I’d like a REM 700 16.25” barrel but not $800.00 Ducksworth for a 300 BO bolt gun that’s just for fun .

Boolit Master
    I have both the Hammer and the Ness clone,
    MP - HG #38 Ness Safety mold

I've loaded them both in .308 and for my Contender in 30-30 ACK. Just really haven't had a need for the '06 as the other two do great. They aren't putting out match grade accuracy but are easily minute of hog or deer at 100yds. The Ness close is pretty rough on a hog, haven't tried them on a deer yet. Also haven't tried the others on anything but paper. That should all change this coming fall however, unless the hogs start moving within sane hours of the morning or evening.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Banned
    Just what kind of seating depth are you using for that .308?