Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester 53 takedown loose

Boolit Bub

Winchester 53 takedown loose

I have a takedown winchester 53 that will turn a bit too far when putting it back together. Is this fixable?

Boolit Master

Pretty sure there is an adjustment screw and ring with them - I don't have one, but I believe the adjustment is similar to the Winchester model 12 shotgun - and not too complicated. Someone will chime in here and give you something more specific - Let not your heart be troubled
    Being human is not for sissies.

go to you tube and look up cinnabar, the man on that channel is super at fixing any thing wrong with winchesters. i have watched the adjustment show on tightening winchester rifles and there is more to it than adjusting winchester shotguns. i have never taken any of my takedown winchester rifles apart.

The fix is quite easy. Take the gun down. Remove the forearm and you will see 3 screws on the backside of the receiver ring. These are the adjustment screws.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240201-110543-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	322921

Boolit Master

Do not try to tighten the three screws. Use a punch to move the metal a small amount then replace the screws. Trying to move the metal with the screws may end up with stripped threads. You only need to move the metal a couple thousandths, about 1/2 the thickness of a piece of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Do not try to tighten the three screws. Use a punch to move the metal a small amount then replace the screws. Trying to move the metal with the screws may end up with stripped threads. You only need to move the metal a couple thousandths, about 1/2 the thickness of a piece of paper.
    I suppose this will depend on the gun and the condition of the screws/how easily they will turn and how easily the adjustment piece will move. Good idea though!

Boolit Master
    on a similar note; in, the 1970s i and my friends shoot trap 3-5 times a week. a friend had a new mod 12. he used a break down case, and broke the gun down every time. in a few years, it was on the next to last (i think) notch. he then traded for another trapgun.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys my rifle is back in shape I had no idea this clever adjustment system was there

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Exactly. It’s better not to risk stripping the screws by using them to move the metal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    Thanks guys my rifle is back in shape I had no idea this clever adjustment system was there
    Glad you got it fixed.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator