MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Academy sports

Boolit Buddy
    I shop there if it's the only place I can find what I need.
    If they shut down the Chinese economy would be cut in half.

Boolit Buddy
    It was a few years ago that Dick's decided they would not sell rifles to anyone under 21. The law said 18 for rifles, but Dick's wanted to do some virtue signaling. I haven't been in one of their stores since. The Academy store is a couple blocks farther, so I go there instead. Sometimes they have reloading supplies, but it's usually pretty limited. I couldn't vouch for their ammo prices since rimfire is the only loaded ammo I buy, and that comes from the local farm store.

Boolit Master

You may not get a lot of tactical stuff at Academy but, they have a lot of fine classical hunting arms with the much appreciated smattering of the "best" small b, inexpensive Turkish arms that are turning out to be a good value and a lot of fun. Sometimes almost impossible things are there also. Stopped at the Academy in Longview TX for my dove stamp and what did I find .small a..."affordable" crow decoys.......I bought them all.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Made a trip today, it's going to be along time before store opening, in Westover WV

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Our local Dick's gave up on selling firearms and ammo, then everything else that would suggest hunting. Haven't been into their store since then.
    That's because they're Dicks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That's because they're Dicks.
    Now that's funny

Boolit Master
    I have mixed opinions about Academy. They're not particularly 2A friendly. Though they do still sell firearms and ammunition. There are at least 2 in the Tulsa area, one about 3 miles from my house, one about a mile out of the way of my drive home from the office.

The best deal I ever got on a new shotgun came from Academy, they had a special about 10 years ago on Mossberg Maverick 88s with 18" barrels for $125. Back when I was in highschool they were about the only place around where you could buy Olympic Weights and Bars - something I had quite a few of having been a very active athlete. I've also bought some clothing and camping gear from them over the years, though not recently.

The down side, for a store that sells firearms you're also getting all of the Coorporate nonsense where it concerns how they screen people, sometimes refusing sales and the like. There used to be a thread about it over on OK Shooters (a forum for Oklahoma firearm enthusiasts). During the 2008 and 2012 buying frenzies they were known for price gouging, denying lawful purchases, and being just overly difficult to patron. Since the start of the pandemic I have not found anything they sell, firearm related, that I considered to be a "good buy". Most everything has been higher priced than I could buy it elsewhere. They also didn't offer online purchases of ammunition at my locations. Meaning if they didn't have it on the shelf, you were getting it.

Overall, its not that I wouldn't do business there. It's just not even in the top 10 places I would look first.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I typically buy my 30-06 ammo at Academy or WalMart. I like Academy better because they carry more ammo, and it is on a shelf that you easily access to browse with ease.

I only purchase ammo on sale, below $30.00.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBSavage View Post
    I typically buy my 30-06 ammo at Academy or WalMart. I like Academy better because they carry more ammo, and it is on a shelf that you easily access to browse with ease.
    That is definitely one of the good things about looking at ammo at Academy. I like being able to walk up to the shelf and browse. I'm not getting any younger and my eyes can't read labels and price stickers that far away, through glass and plastic bars. And getting whatever minimum wage teenager who happens to be the closest to the sporting goods section to come help you, is frustrating to say the least.
    At my local Academy store, powder and primers are behind the counter. With the scarcity, I kind of get that.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

My only experience with Academy Sports was in Edmond, OK. I was able to buy 2 of the Yildiz folding 410 single shot shotguns and some 22 lr ammo. Academy seems to be the sole distributors of Yildiz shoguns made in Turkey and they seem to be well made and both of mine have great looking walnut stocks . I can’t find anywhere else that handles these shotguns and I’m very happy with them.
    Jedman

If they offered that Yildiz folding shotgun in 20 gauge- they would sell a ton of them in Texas alone!
    We went to one today. I picked up some .40S&W carry ammo, a can of One Shot, and 100 Mini Mags.
    They had LR primers at $7.99/100 AND .410 shells- rare sights nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12