Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trailboss = GOLD

Boolit Master
    Hard to beat for suppressed.

Boolit Master
    Discontinued by the maker ADI around 2019.....before the plandemic ..........there was always a story going round it was recut battleship cordite that was stored underwater at Randwick since the 50s ......if so ,then it had to run out sooner or later.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Discontinued by the maker ADI around 2019.....before the plandemic ..........there was always a story going round it was recut battleship cordite that was stored underwater at Randwick since the 50s ......if so ,then it had to run out sooner or later.
    Don’t remember where I saw it but someone recently posted they contacted Hodgkin about it and they planned to start producing it soon. I have know personal knowledge of this just relaying what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I yesterday saw an ad on gunbroker for $2400 buy it now price for a 4 or so pound jug. Insane.

Boolit Master
    Huh?? I still have a Bit of a HalfPound!! I cannot figure out what the excitement is about. Course...I cannot figure out what happened to the price of Bullseye, let alone where it all went to!! Don't get me started on Red Dot/Promo!!
    I have decided to experiment with AA-Nitro-100NF, for Light Loads... Going OK so Far...Wish me Luck!!

Hodgson list it as out of stock on their direct sale site for $30/ 9oz or $101 for 2#s so it is still listed but not discontinued.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I use TrailBoss for two loads in Lever Action Metallic Silhouette.
    One in the 44WCF (44-40) only when weather conditions make it so that my usual load of Swiss 2F is a bad idea. This is for Pistol Caliber out to 100 meters.
    The other in my 38-55 for full size chickens and pigs , again out to 100 meters. It is subsonic with a 250gr bullet with negligible recoil. It is however very accurate in my 1894 Spaghetti-Chester and that soft bullet knocks over those targets even with bad/edge hits.
    Luckily I have a supply that will last for another 1 or 2 years worth of shooting .

The bullet in the image is a 290gr .381 I placed on the target for general size reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100 Yards 9 Shots.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    I use TrailBoss for two loads in Lever Action Metallic Silhouette.
    One in the 44WCF (44-40) only when weather conditions make it so that my usual load of Swiss 2F is a bad idea. This is for Pistol Caliber out to 100 meters.
    The other in my 38-55 for full size chickens and pigs , again out to 100 meters. It is subsonic with a 250gr bullet with negligible recoil. It is however very accurate in my 1894 Spaghetti-Chester and that soft bullet knocks over those targets even with bad/edge hits.
    Luckily I have a supply that will last for another 1 or 2 years worth of shooting .

The bullet in the image is a 290gr .381 I placed on the target for general size reference.
    Good Job...I can't shoot like that...Maybe Long Ago...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    High pressure and low velocity. Can't find a use for that combination.
    I am not a Trail Boss fan but it has its place. You forgot about it being fluffy. High pressure is not really accurate. Moderate pressure is more like it can even be low pressure if you load it that way (you can download it and it will still take up a lot of space in the case. Not low velocity, normal/good velocity but maybe not highest velocity. It might not produce factory velocity at not more than SAMMI pressures, but it will fill a case full of powder in cases that have a lot of space for powder preventing the possibly of a double charge. I think the reason it is popular with some people is it does things no other powder does. It is special in its way. I use it in my S&W New Frontier in 44-40, 5.5 gr. with 200 gr cast bullet per the Hodgdon's manual moves at 723 fps with only 7,800 psi. Lower pressure, less powder and higher velocity some of the other recommended powders and a double charge will not fit in the case. What is not to like.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    but is it worth the price difference??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I am not a Trail Boss fan but it has its place. You forgot about it being fluffy. High pressure is not really accurate. Moderate pressure is more like it can even be low pressure if you load it that way (you can download it and it will still take up a lot of space in the case. Not low velocity, normal/good velocity but maybe not highest velocity. It might not produce factory velocity at not more than SAMMI pressures, but it will fill a case full of powder in cases that have a lot of space for powder preventing the possibly of a double charge. I think the reason it is popular with some people is it does things no other powder does. It is special in its way. I use it in my S&W New Frontier in 44-40, 5.5 gr. with 200 gr cast bullet per the Hodgdon's manual moves at 723 fps with only 7,800 psi. Lower pressure, less powder and higher velocity some of the other recommended powders and a double charge will not fit in the case. What is not to like.

Tim
    I will go with "Lower pressure, less powder and higher velocity".. but "and a double charge will not fit in the case" matters Not a hoot to Me...
    Been loading 2.8gr of Bullseye in 38 Specials for many...many moons
    Gonna stay with my current trials with Nitro-100NF. Yea...I'm Cheap!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    but is it worth the price difference??
    I don't know what real powder prices are these days. I would not pay even 25% more to use Trail Boss if I used very much. I bought what I have a long time ago and the nine ounce bottle is marked 12.99. One pound jugs of other powders were around $25 back then as I remember. The bottle still has a fair bit of powder in it. I think I might have loaded 300 rounds. Until recently I only had around 100 piece of 44-40 brass. I have not purchased smokeless powder in maybe 5 years or so and then it was because the price was right not because I was running out except BL2c I was short on that as I was using a fair bit benchrest shooting. I am out of H110 right now but I only use it in .357 Mag and Max but I have a lot of that ammo already loaded and I have alternative powders on the shelf. If I saw H110 on the shelf for under $50 a pound I imagine I would buy it since that will be what I expect the price will be in the future. I just bought 6 pounds of Black Powder just to try the new Estes GOEX powders. Kind of did that on a whim.
    Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I will go with "Lower pressure, less powder and higher velocity".. but "and a double charge will not fit in the case" matters Not a hoot to Me...
    Been loading 2.8gr of Bullseye in 38 Specials for many...many moons
    Gonna stay with my current trials with Nitro-100NF. Yea...I'm Cheap!!!
    I have never heard of Nitro-100NF. I have never used Bullseye. My fast powder choices are 231 and Red Dot. I don't have anything against Bullseye. Once upon a time a came on to a big jug of 231 and I am still not out, I am low on Red Dot but I switched to Green Dot for 9mm when I hit on a bargain on a big jug of Green Dot. I am not really cheap but I am a bit price sensitive. I don't like being scalped.
    Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123