RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mail Box 3 Cars 0

Had a high school teacher that got tired of (probably students) taking his out.
    He got a 35 gal. metal drum and filled it with large rocks.
    A couple tried it and didn't fair well and it got around. The problem was solved.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I think car thieves should be handled the same way they used to handle horse thieves.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Vendor Sponsor

The HOAs in and around Wake Forest NC use the DOT statutes since 10' off the edge of the right-of-way belongs to the state, they use a relatively thin steel pipe in the ground with a decorative cast iron scroll that sits under the mailbox and it uses 4 little mickey mouse screws to hold it to the iron work. DOT regulations here say it has to be able to bend, break, swing, fall over if a vehicle hits it. They make it weak by mig welding cast to carbon steel with small tack welds.

We ran a mobile welding business for a few years and we'd constantly get calls to these high end subdivisions to weld the mailbox back on. $135.00 a trip. The HOA agreement mandates a certain mailbox, replacement cost = $900.00 pre-pandemic pre supply chain shortages price, I shudder to think how much that same mailbox costs homeowners now days. They have to buy one that matches everybody else.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    There is some liability in owning a mailbox that can teach criminals a lesson. Some drivers strike mailboxes for other reasons like glare ice, swerving to avoid an animal, a blowout or being run off the road. If that happens and injuries or death result from the crash, you can be held responsible. In our woke society I’d be surprised if you weren’t.
    That’s why commercially available rural mailboxes are made the way they are, so as to not cause injury when hit.
    Exactly. If someone dies hitting your mailbox it won't go well for you.

Boolit Master
    Last edited by Kenstone; 02-03-2024 at 08:14 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

When OI bought this place (2004) A treated 4X4 was deep in the ground three weeks straight some fool wrecked the mail box then on the 4th week they hit the post as well parts from a 80's chevy pickup and oil was on the ground Post was broken off about a foot high. I replaced it with a 15" diameter cherry tree trunk that lasted only a few years but no more hits. When that rotted I put another Treated 4X4 in the ground deeply . I suppose it will only be time before some new stupid generation comes along trying to smash mail boxes . My road gets very little traffic I have never looked at what the actual regulations are on mail box posts here .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Will 7 hours and post and mail box is done. With the ground frozen it was hard putting a hole in the ground. Hope it last as at 78 it gets hard using a post hole digger!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123