Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Setup for Shooting Groups?

What's Your Setup for Shooting Groups?

I'm trying to find a load that shoots well in my new SA-35 Hi Power, and I'm not having much luck. It will shoot an acceptable (<3" at 25 yards) group occasionally, but more often one or two rounds won't even hit paper. I'm nearing 80, and not the shooter I was 20 years ago, so I got out some other 9mms and a .45 I always shot well to see if it could be some physical infirmity on my part. None of them shot as well as I remembered, but the worst fliers opened groups to around 5 or 6 inches, where many of the SA groups exceed 10.

I have tried using two-handed holds resting on sandbags, one-handed hold with the weak hand squeezing a bag under the butt and the barrel rested on other bags or some sort of padded commercial bench rest. The latter works fine with scoped silhouette guns, but short open sight pistols are a whole other deal.

I have good shooting glasses, and can see the sights clearly. A Ransom rest would be ideal but I don't have one. What do you guys find to be second-best?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What kind of ammo are you using? With standard factory FMJ it shouldn't have any rounds that don't hit the paper at all. Try some regular 115 grain FMJ, and if you still have fliers that are way off then something is wrong and the pistol needs to go back to SA. I know some of the Brownings had oversize bores and needed fat boolits. My 2016 model eats anything and is as accurate as any of my other side-irons.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Following with interest. I can scope some of my pistols but not the carry guns. I don't know how some folks can shoot 2" groups at 50 yards using iron sights.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I always shoot for test groups using Elmer Keith's position of leaning back against a truck tire and resting both hands over my knees. I've shot handguns and even some rifles like that for over 40 years. Maybe it's just because the position is comfortable for my body type but my best targets have been shot from a sitting position.

Obviously, this doesn't work in a gunfight so some practice is still required but it's very stable for testing purposes.

It's also worth noting that I don't frequent shooting ranges and always shoot on private property - either mine or someone else's.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 01-31-2024 at 04:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    From Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers, pp. 174-5:

"At Springfield Armory the thousands of automatic pistols specially selected for use at the National Matches are targeted by the use of an improvised rest made by taking a step ladder of the right height to support the forearm of the targeter, and fastening to the top of it a board with a V-shaped notch cut in it. This piece of board is adjustable up and down by means of a thumb-screw. This notched board is adjusted so that when the targeter's forearm rests on top of the step-ladder, the V-shaped notch will support the pistol by the receiver just forward of the trigger guard. This "receiver and forearm rest" is perhaps the most satisfactory method of testing heavy caliber revolvers for accuracy."
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Following with interest. I can scope some of my pistols but not the carry guns. I don't know how some folks can shoot 2" groups at 50 yards using iron sights.
    ...in my case, I would say " I can't see how some folks etc. "...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

The pistol range I shoot at doesn't have a bench to rest off of. I had a friend of mine put this together to be able to shoot accurately.

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    When I shoot groups with a revolver or semi-auto pistol I rest the butt on a sandbag and use a two hand hold. Even with my sad eyes I can still hold 1" at 25 yards if the gun can but not many can. 3" is more typical. If the group is much bigger than that (counting flyers) something is seriously wrong.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I used to use a cardboard box and a rolled up towel to shoot test loads with. My eyes started to go in 2017/2018, this was the last group I shot with iron sights in 2017 testing loads for a 45acp/1911 10-shot group @ 50ft. Was testing for the 50ft indoor winter league. Cleaned house of the +/- 10 1911's/conversion kits and bought a cheap springfield armory range officer & was testing loads for it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Older now and the eyes went, wrist is done so I sold most of my molds/reloading dies & brass/target firearms. Still have the 1911's and use this pistol rest when I want to test loads.
    https://www.amazon.com/HYSKORE-10036...ps%2C99&sr=8-6

I cut the back portion (grip holding u with side screws) off and use sand bags instead. Put reddots on the target pistols & revolvers now. Helps the eyes but the wrists a still done.

A good example of wrists needing work. This is a test target shot with a 45acp/1911 @ 50ft using the rest pictured above. Same 4.3gr load of clays and 3 different bullet. All 3 test loads shot 1" or less 5-shot groups. The upper right target was 5-shot rapid fire (1 handed). As you can see I had 2 fliers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Your choice of targets will have a lot to do with your groups. The top target was shot with iron sights and used squares. It has a larger black and a smaller white square. Use which square line up the best for the yardage your testing/shooting at. The reddot targets are round. Put the round dot in the center of the round circle on the target.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Thanks for the tip about using square targets with iron sights and round with red dots!

Boolit Master

If you can set up something that allows you to support the frame's dust cover while using your normal grip and standing shooting position, including whatever you do for a head-tilt due to bifocals or progressives, that's probably your best bet. Maybe set up a rest atop a tall camera tripod.

Personally, I've come to a method that tries to identify and dial out this "broken human" as much as possible:

1. Tweak the load for low velocity spread and SD numbers over the chronograph. If you can make the gun cycle the same way every time, it should lock up and print the same, and any erratic results will theoretically be you. To that end, ensure consistent lockup by making sure your first round gets chambered with a full-speed, no-hands-riding slamming forward of the slide.

2. Several large test sample groups fired and compared. A five shot group with two flyers will have you questioning the ammo. A ten shot group with two or three flyers will give you more opportunity to say, "yeah, those were me". Several ten shot groups will clear that up further. Major repetition of severe flyers show when it's time to doubt the equipment and ammo.

Going from there depends on what you're after. At the point I've figured out how well I can shoot with a handgun, my goal is more about making ammo that can shoot a little better than me, rather than chase the gun's maximum potential - which it's doubtful I'll ever realize with wobbly arms and blurry eyes.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys. Yesterday I took my old Hi Standard Citation with 5" barrel to the range to see what a known good shooter preferred.

At 25 yards, I shot two 5-shot groups holding it two-handed, sitting at a bench and resting my hands on bags. I was a little sloppy with the first one, it was 2.75". I did better onthe second, it was 2" even. Then I got out a plastic rest I picked up at a yard sale. It has a padded vee barrel support. I put the barrel in that with the butt on a bag held in one hand and pinching the bag with the other. Both groups went in 0.75".

I don't expect a 9mm with a 4.5 pound trigger to do what a match grade H-S will do, but this definitely tells me that the barrel rest is the way to go for me.

I built a rectangular box about 30" long, with a u-shaped rest on top of one end. I can put the pistol in the u,(just forward of the trigger guard) and rest my elbows on the box. I can put a spacer under the butt of the grip, if needed. The box sits on top of our homemade portable shooting bench. hc18flyer

Today I made a wood V-notch to go in my steel pistol rest. I shot the SA-35 with the ammo it seems to like best in the plastic rest, and two groups were between 2 and 3 inches, which has not happened before. I shot a reload, and both groups were around 4", which is unprecedented. Then I tried the wood v-block in the steel rest, and the preferred load yielded two groups that were about 4" high, but less than 2" wide. I brought the V-block back to the shop and padded it.

Every group shot today was an improvement, and I'm hoping for more.

Boolit Master
    Watching. An experienced friend and "Shootist" likes the discontinued Outers Pistol Perch design.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It's easy Don. Just use 20 yr old eyes!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy

Been designing a pistol rest in my head for quite a while. The V notch seems like the way to go but thinking of a wedge for the rear support. My thought was to allow the firearm to be held solid but recoil away from the rest and not slid across or bump in recoil GW

One thing I have found is that most targets are too danged busy. I started cutting my own target dots out of duct tape bought from the craft dept at Wal-Mart and am much happier with the results. Easy to see and not distracting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tar.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	323036
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Steve, another great idea of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Steve, another great idea of yours.
    Thanks Albert. Here's the full target. One centerfire, one rimfire. You can also aim at the points of the squares if you need a more precise aiming point.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1_20240204_16254900.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	323059
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast