Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Wads Under Sabot

Wads Under Sabot

I have recently purchased a bunch of Harvester sabots for my 50 cal CVA Buckhorn Magnum. In the past I shot Lee REAL slugs with a cardboard overpowder wad, and a homemade felt grease wad. I wanted to use my home cast .452 diameter boolits to see if accuracy would improve. Also, the REAL slugs are thumpers, as far as recoil. My normal powder is Pyrodex RS.

Here's my question: do I need to use wads at all under the Harvester sabot? They have a deep cup on the bottom, and I am concerned that shoving extraneous material in there may cause inaccuracy. Thanks.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    WR, nope I used to shoot an omega z5 with harvester black crush sabots, they act as a shotgun plastic shot wad. I found out different wads affected accuracy I burned black horn 209 at the time never tried with BP however just adjust your charges for best poi.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    Just lube the sides of the sabot. In my experience with sabots in any of my 50 cal muzzleloaders, any lube whatsoever on the bottom ruined accuracy. With my primary sabot muzzleloader, it prefers a little lube pressed between the wings onto the boolit as well as along the sides.
    Since I have given up elk hunting, I don't use the sabots much anymore preferring PRB except for potential long range shooting at desert mule deer. Also, my sabot rifle also prefers .429 SWC's to .452 projectiles for some unknown reason.

Thanks, everybody. that answers my question. So, Quilbilly, what kind of lube do you use on the sabots? My normal BP lube is Crisco/beeswax, 50/50 mix.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Omega Z5, Hornady 250/red sabot, twenty to a box stuff. 90 gr. of T7 and it will do five shot 1 1/2" @ 100 real regular if I do my part. I work out of and preload all my (quick load?) hunting chargers for process. I wipe outside of sabot with just enough to make it look wet with Bore Butter and slip it into nose of carrier. Dad left me a lifetimes worth and thought I would try it. Does not seem to hurt anything and makes second load maybe slide a little better? Right/wrong? Seems to work okay.