Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: SuperGreen lube shelf life?

Boolit Mold

SuperGreen lube shelf life?

So long story short a few years ago I had some extra Mobilgrease 33 and used it to make a batch of lube, 1lbs of beeswax : 1 tube of grease. Its been working great for everything I've used it on from 32 acp to 45/70. It has taken approximately 3 years to use up the batch and it seems quite stable on its own. My question is whether there would be any issues with loaded ammo that has been appropriately stored for up to 10 years? I have a surplus and just don't shoot as much as I used to.

Moderator Emeritus

Lithi-Bee boolit lube should last your lifetime, your children's lifetime, and your grandchildren's lifetime.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Pretty reasonable question at it's basis. Re: lube shelf life.

Don't have anything to offer on Lithium lubes, but poor aging was a reason I have stayed away for Lyman Super Moly for a very long time.

I cast up a large box of RCBS (350 gr ?) GC bullets about a decade before I built my 416 Taylor.
    When it came to shoot it, I found that Lyman Super Moly induced corrosion on the bullets where 50/50 Beeswax Alox (Tamarack Bullet lube - Old stock) did not.
    All came out of the same box, lead away from the moly lube did not corrode like it did where in contact with the lube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comaprison of Moly and Beeswax lube at extended time v2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	322876

BTW: Another who'd-a-thunk-it --> graphite on aluminum creates galvanic corrosion (anodic-cathodic reaction), so I stay away from graphite on aluminum molds too.

Boolit Grand Master

I have and still use sticks of Lithi-Bee lube purchased in 1978 ...
    That's 46 years ago . Made up of thoise two ingredients ... the lube doesn't seperate or weep or degrade ... I've been watching the for it and it looks just like when I got the 40 sticks in 1978 ... cost was $20.00 for 40 sticks .
    I was so impressed with this lube that in 2014 I wrote the maker ... Garth Choate who replied that he no longer made bullet lube but kindly gave me the recipe .
    1 part lithium grease (Mobile-Grease is a Lithium grease) and 3 parts beeswax.
    You can add up to 1 part Gulf Paraffin Wax to harden if too soft .
    When they made it they used 8 lbs. grease and 24 lbs. of beeswax ...
    Anyways ...the stuff is very stable , in loaded boolits or in stick form ... they don't weep or seep or seperate ... and I live in Louisiana ...the home state of Heat and Humidity .
    I wouldn't worry about the shelf life of Lithi-Bee lubes ...
    ...they just keep on keepin on !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for replying, it certainly confirms my observations and puts my mind at ease. I have previously pulled bullets from rounds that were about 2 years old and other than a slight change in color I didn't see any other changes. It is rather soft but I've never noticed any issues with weep even in Arizona heat. I think I'll stick with this recipe, maybe adding more beeswax, as mobilgrease 33 doesn't smell nearly as much or bad as others.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by notjustsomeone View Post
    Thank you all for replying, it certainly confirms my observations and puts my mind at ease. I have previously pulled bullets from rounds that were about 2 years old and other than a slight change in color I didn't see any other changes. It is rather soft but I've never noticed any issues with weep even in Arizona heat. I think I'll stick with this recipe, maybe adding more beeswax, as mobilgrease 33 doesn't smell nearly as much or bad as others.
    Garth Choate told me if the grease-beeswax (1 part -3 parts) is too soft ...to harden it with up to 1 part Gulf Wax Paraffin wax ... Gulf Wax is a hard pure paraffin and is the best to stiffen up the lube with and not hurt performance.
    Don't use crayons or old candles as they are not as hard or pure .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"