Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Thermal scopes

Boolit Master

Thermal scopes

Is anyone here using a thermal scope for night hunting of varmints and if so, what brand/model and are you satisfied with it? I have an ATN infrared and it's not horrible - but my son bought a Pulsar thermal and the difference is difficult to describe - it's that much better.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    I use Infiray. The clarity and image quality is ridiculously good. I started with an ATN several years ago and never could get over the "cheap feel" of it. They're all expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have the ATN 4K 3-14 zoom and I like it.
    It is fun to play around with in the back yard.
    I bought the range finder to mount on it, fun toy.
    I use this on my PCP pellet guns.
    Someday hope to use it on an AR to go coyote hunting.
    I can't justify spending the extra money for a thermal at this time.

I have the AGM rattler V2 35/640, works great. The 25/384 is good also, V2 buttons work better. Unfortunately haven't got any hogs with it yet. I have an ATN monocle, works fine for scanning.
    Last edited by popper; 02-25-2024 at 09:09 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

My hunting club all runs AGM and they’ve been doing us great for several years.

Boolit Master
    Update - I bought a Sightmark Wraith Thermal yesterday so I’m going to sight in today, then we shall see what happens tonight. Lots of hog sign lately in the hay field so looking forward to popping a few.

Did get a hog couple weeks ago, 100 yds. 300 BO and 135 ftx. Got an armadillo the nite before @ 50 yds.
    Last edited by popper; 02-26-2024 at 08:52 PM.
    Whatever!

The thermals are pricey unless you have a constant use, but the IR scopes are very limited in range and he sight picture size. I have an X sight and got a Thor 4 that I have not mounted yet. The deer seasn just ended on the 18th and I need to finish my loads workup for the 80 and 95s with the 24 Varmint AR, then mount the ATN on it. Got a tripod mount for that AR, which is better to have for a thermal scope mounted on a gun at night, with things moving around on the ground in grass or brush..
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I went out last night for a couple hours to do some scanning. Only a few deer at about 150 yds but saw a big field rat at 25 steps or so - pretty impressive resolution at that range. I could see his nose, tail and eyes in detail.

Following along. Got a OneLeaf setup not long ago. Has its limits. Without the IR lit up and a half moon or fuller and no clouds I can see farther than I'm willing to shoot but not really clearly enough to make precise shots unless pretty close. When I turn on the IR, it lights up all the brush
    and can't see anything beyond the brush. Few places can I use it effectively beyond 50 yards or so.
    Looking at the ATN Thor. Maybe the thermal can see through the brush better?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Following along. Got a OneLeaf setup not long ago. Has its limits. Without the IR lit up and a half moon or fuller and no clouds I can see farther than I'm willing to shoot but not really clearly enough to make precise shots unless pretty close. When I turn on the IR, it lights up all the brush
    and can't see anything beyond the brush. Few places can I use it effectively beyond 50 yards or so.
    This Wraith thermal I purchased has much better detail than my IR scope. I have only looked through two thermals but both were head and shoulders above my old one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    A comment about brush - depending on the temperature out you won't be able to see brush / grass / etc through the ATN.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

From videos I've seen, looks like you can tell if the critter is behind brush. The grass I'm not as worried about shooting through.
    Don't need to walk far to my set ups. Thinking having both could be helpful. If nothing else it'll help the boredom sitting out
    there in the dark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    This Wraith thermal I purchased has much better detail than my IR scope. I have only looked through two thermals but both were head and shoulders above my old one.
    I am testing out the new wraith thermal and so far so good. Battery life is excellent if you don’t record video. They are going to be sending me out a new long mount to test out in a few days. So far not a bad way to spend 1600-1700 bucks.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I am testing out the new wraith thermal and so far so good. Battery life is excellent if you don’t record video. They are going to be sending me out a new long mount to test out in a few days. So far not a bad way to spend 1600-1700 bucks.
    I agree. I was initially looking in the $3-4K range so it was nice to find this one. I like the different color palettes and it’s easy to sight in.

No, you can't see through the brush with IR. Had a hog come in trough the trees, stopped at the edge of the field then turned into the brush. I wasn't fast enough. I like the AGM Rattler V2 640.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240312095100.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	324637
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    No, you can't see through the brush with IR. Had a hog come in trough the trees, stopped at the edge of the field then turned into the brush. I wasn't fast enough. I like the AGM Rattler V2 640.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240312095100.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	324637
    I liked the rattlers also but I could not swing the coin needed for one. Not yet anyway. The Wraith is working for all my needs at the moment.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.