Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Understanding adapting molds to Master Caster

Boolit Mold

Understanding adapting molds to Master Caster

I have an agreement to purchase a Magma Master Caster and will pick it up mid to late February. Over a dozen molds are included but none are setup for the MC. I have a few RCBS and Lyman dual cavity molds the I might like to setup for the MC.

The MC manual shows adapters for RCBS and Lyman molds. It also shows loose sprue plates that might fit the molds. Wondering if anyone has experience using non-MC molds on the Master Caster?

Will be looking to purchase adapters and/or molds once I pick up the MC.

Just picked up a used Master Caster this week myself, so I'm also interested in this. Specifically, I'm curious about about HP molds. I want to cast penta-point projectiles in .44, .45, .38, 9mm and 10mm.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Vendor Sponsor

Magma Engineering offered the option to adapt RCBS, and Lyman molds at one time. I do not know if they are still doing it because they are making very few if any, molds at this time.
    NOE or Accurate may be able to.
    https://hollowpointmold.com/ can take your existing Magma Mold and convert it to an HP mold.
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

I'll be watching this one with great interest.

I don't know if Magma will convert molds now or not, but I learned when I called them years ago that RCBS molds were the most expensive to convert. I have purchased molds cut for the MC from Accurate, but you have to get the attachment hardware and sprue plate system from Magma. I don't remember exactly, but I think the hardware was around $75 or so.

I have way too many hand cast molds now. I should standardize one main bullet per caliber and get that one in a MC mold from Tom, but haven't been willing to get rid of molds yet. I might need that one someday....
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I have converted my own molds. I just keep 2 sets of ears and 1 DC and 1 SC sprue plate. I drill a 1/4" hole through the mold block. I use ears that mount with the screws used with handles. RCBS molds have a thinner handle slot than lyman requiring a thinner set of ears. Just carefully measure where the 1/4" hole goes.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Mold
    Connected with Magma on Wednesday. Great guys to talk to. They are currently working on new source for sprue plates. Old cost that they made was $14. Expect new cost to go up a bit. Hardware kit, bolt, spring, nut, keys, sprue plate is around $50. If they convert a mold, they screw the old plate screw into the hole, cut it off and surface grind to fill hole so no lead will stick. drill new bolt hole. They are back to making molds, have some in stock.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ok-22shooter View Post
    Connected with Magma on Wednesday. Great guys to talk to. They are currently working on new source for sprue plates. Old cost that they made was $14. Expect new cost to go up a bit. Hardware kit, bolt, spring, nut, keys, sprue plate is around $50. If they convert a mold, they screw the old plate screw into the hole, cut it off and surface grind to fill hole so no lead will stick. drill new bolt hole. They are back to making molds, have some in stock.
    Good info to know!
    Don Verna

ADMIN

Converting molds - I sent off a 2c 22 hornet mold to have converted over. It looked pretty much as what was described above.

Hollow point - Erik at Hollowpoint molds is your only choice. It’s not cheap but the 40/10mm 180 mold I had done works great.
    Link to it in action -
    https://youtu.be/B-opimEGO_4?si=7IWbYYwBKHvsVOpL

Also you can reach out to Miha as he does offer machine cast molds. I don’t think he offers them in HP setup though
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

And the thread hijack begins!
    Has anyone used one of Mina's brass moulds in a Master Caster yet? I am concerned about durability but may be worried over nothing.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I have done a few molds for my Bullet Masters long time ago and recently did a RCBS mold for my Master Caster.
    RCBS molds require a shim under the keys (the part that goes in the side of the mold).
    H&G 2 cavity and SAECO are the best. Magma used SAECO molds when they first started.
    Ballisticast used H&G. Lyman are a pain because they require different keys and are smaller.
    Lyman and RCBS are soft and the area where the sprue plate pivots can causing the sprue plate to be canted. Milling the top of the mold can fix the issue but the bullets will be slightly lighter.
    Keeping the pivot point lubricated reduces wear.

Magma is closed?? Right? So who are you talking to?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ok-22shooter View Post
    I have an agreement to purchase a Magma Master Caster and will pick it up mid to late February. Over a dozen molds are included but none are setup for the MC. I have a few RCBS and Lyman dual cavity molds the I might like to setup for the MC.

The MC manual shows adapters for RCBS and Lyman molds. It also shows loose sprue plates that might fit the molds. Wondering if anyone has experience using non-MC molds on the Master Caster?

Will be looking to purchase adapters and/or molds once I pick up the MC.
    Would you happen to have a copy of that manual in digital format?
    Would you be willing to share a copy of it since Magma is closing its doors.
    I did not receive any manual with my used Master Caster.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Would you happen to have a copy of that manual in digital format?
    Would you be willing to share a copy of it since Magma is closing its doors.
    I did not receive any manual with my used Master Caster.
    I think I can help you with that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster manual front page.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	323477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster manual page 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	323478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster manual page 2 and 3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	323479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster manual page 4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	323480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic 1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	323481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic 2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	323482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic 3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	323483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic parts list 1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	323484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic parts list 2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	323485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magma Master Caster schematic parts list 1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	323484
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.