Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Old Mauser stock

Boolit Master

Old Mauser stock

Anyone know exactly what type of Mauser stock this is? I picked this thing up recently for almost nothing, and plan on using it for a "someday" project.

I have the remains of an M38 Turkish Mauser that cost me almost nothing 20+ years ago. The original stock was chopped, and the original barrel was garbage, but the rest is complete. It's been sitting in a box ever since. I originally thought I'd put it together as a sporter of some kind, but over the years I lost interest in that, and now I'm thinking I'd like to eventually put it back together in something at least resembling original dress.

The Turkish receiver should fit fine if I inlet the stock slightly in the front for it. The Turkish front band that I have won't fit, so I'd need to get another, but it looks like one can be had inexpensively, assuming it's the right kind. Then I'll need to eventually find a barrel for it, but that's another story.

This is a low-budget, low priority build. It's been on the back burner for a long time. Mostly I'm curious about what this stock is. I know it won't be "correct" or collectible, but that doesn't matter to me for this thing, so long as it ends up looking military and not sporter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6332[1].jpg  

You will need to post more pictures than that for anyone to take a guess at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As TbG said--more photos for a positive identification. The front end shown in the one photo looks very much like a K98k, but there were many similar stocks that used that front band system.

DG

By the way, I might be able to help you out a bit with the proposed restoration if you're still interested, as I have some take-off Turk stocks and some smaller parts.

Boolit Master

Oops, sorry about that. I thought I had attached more photos than just the one. Here are the rest.

This is a project that's been on the back burner for a long time, just because it's there. I have plenty of other rifles to shoot. I think about this one once in a while because it's an unfinished project. I never finish it because I can't really justify spending much on it, because I have plenty of others, so it sits.

I know this old stock isn't pretty, but it was really cheap. I make pretty good money, but household financial demands are such at this time that I just can't justify spending on non-essentials, so cheap projects appeal to me, gotta have something to do.

Der Gebirgsjager, I think we've talked about this one before, or maybe the other one I did a while back. I had a nice 1903 Turk Mauser barreled action that I put into another stock a year or two ago. That one shoots well. I might have asked before but I don't remember; do you happen to have any usable Turk 8mm barrels? I have an old Mauser barrel that I picked up cheap somewhere, but the thread diameter is larger. A coworker has a lathe and offered to help thread it to fit, but lacking proper gunsmithing tools, we're hesitant to start on it. It's such a low-dollar project though, might be a good learning experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6343[1].jpg   IMG_6344[1].jpg   IMG_6345[1].jpg  

Boolit Master

No "gunsmithing" tools should be needed to fit the larger threaded barrel except for an action wrench and barrel vise. You will need a depth micrometer and either a GO chamber gauge OR a few cartridges. Without a chamber gauge use 3 cartridges, each a different make, and at least one should be new commercial. Measure the length of the chamber gauge or cartridges extending out of the barrel and compare that measurement to the distance from the front of the action to the bolt face. Fit the barrel so the head of the cartridge is 1.2 to 2 thousandths less than the bolt face to action face distance.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I'll take a look. I have a box of takeoff barrels, some of this and some from Czech 24s and Turks. We'll have to see if any have serviceable bores.

DG

I do not believe that the stock in your photos is Turk. They have a hole through the middle band for a pin that passes completely through the stock and holds the band in place. None visible on yours. I can see where it might be made to work.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't look like a 98k stock. Could be similar to a Standard Modell 98 that was sold by Mauser in the inter-war years.

Boolit Master

I kind of figured it wasn't Turkish. It's a bit rough too. I imagine in earlier days when surplus was cheaper and more readily available, this thing would have ended up as firewood. It has a couple cracks that should be fairly easy to fix, and with some slight inletting the Turk action fits well.

Barrel vice, action wrench, and headspace gauges were the specific tools I was thinking of. I used to work for a gunsmith a long time ago. I learned the basics of machine tools and gunsmithing, but that was a long time ago. One of these days I plan on getting my own lathe, maybe when the kids are grown and out of the house. That will be a few years yet.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Doesn't look like a 98k stock. Could be similar to a Standard Modell 98 that was sold by Mauser in the inter-war years.
    Most likley this !