Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32-20 to 25-20

Boolit Mold

32-20 to 25-20

I was lead to believe reforming 32-20 brass to 25-20 is as simple as just running the 32-20 brass through the 25-20 sizing die. Well I can’t even get them to start without collapsing the mouths or necks of the Starline cases. Tried every type of lube I have but no luck. My 25-20 dies are from Lee. Is there a transition die I should be using?

Boolit Master
    Short answer to your question is yes. That transition die is your bullet seating die with the seating stem removed. Two other things you should do before forming 25-20 are run the 32-20 brass through a sizing die to make sure the necks are perfectly round and anneal the necks. It also helps to run the brass into the 25-20 sizing die in increments, and spreading the lube around between increments. I've been using this method for years and never ruined one. You might occasionally get a lube dent or two, but they will iron out with the first firing.

Boolit Grand Master

Especially with Starline brass do two things first. Trim for length to remove any flaw at the mouth - that will result in a seam that ruins the case. Secondly, anneal, Starline is hard brass.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    The Lee seater die I have must be a different internal design than what you folks have. The case goes in all the way and never seems to touch the die??? What brand are you using?

I regularly bring 32/20 brass down to 25/20 and even further down to 218 Mashburn Bee. First I run the brass through a 32/20 FLS die, then anneal the brass, then run through the 25/20 FLS in three stages checking if the case lube is still working. In this process I lose about 5%.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

From the Starline site:
    "*The SAAMI spec for .25-20 & .218 Bee is smaller at the base than the .32-20 which can cause clearance issues on some rifles."

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Is this the run of nickel 32-20 brass MidwayUSA sold last week?

Boolit Mold
    The brass is not nickel plated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Easty View Post
    The Lee seater die I have must be a different internal design than what you folks have. The case goes in all the way and never seems to touch the die??? What brand are you using?
    My dies are RCBS. Here's a picture of a 32-20, after a pass through the seating die, and a finished 25-20.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a transition die from a bolt. It just starts the reduction toward .257 for about 3/16". Then I run them through the full length .25-20 sizing die. I only lube the case body lightly--no lube on the neck or shoulder. Rarely ruin a neck.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like I need to get a RCBS seating die!

Boolit Grand Master
    My .25-20 die set was made by Lyman, bought mainly for the M-die. I have formed .32-20 nickel plated brass (all I could find at the time) into .25-20. I think I lost about 12-13% but I didn't round out the case mouths or trim first.

Shortly after that I found a couple of partial boxes of .25-20 ammo at different gunshows; so I now have somewhere around 150 pieces of useable brass and for a singleshot rifle that may be enough.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Every time I'm reforming a case, I look for the R-P brass. In my experience, it's the softest. Also, I use a .270 REN die as a pre-sizer before the final .25-20.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I find that if I make sure there is no lube on the shoulder itself and form the neck in a couple of short steps that I get fewer lube wrinkles. Also, just a small amt of lanolin seems to be the best lube for me.
    Loren

Boolit Man
    I have converted 100s of starline 32s to 25s. I use a very ligh coating of Imperial sizing wax.

1st, anneal the cases . 2nd , full length size in 32-20 die (mine are RCBS). 3rd, and this is important, lightly bell the case mouth, 4th, slowly resize the the case in the 25-20 die. I will lose about 3%.

My starline 32s, once resized to 25s, are several thousands short of listed 25 lengths. But the all work very well at match target shoots.

To do it right & not loose cases , you need forming dies. I start with a Redding 25-20 forming die. Then thru a Redding 25-20 neck sizer die. Finally a 25-20 FL sizer. Rarely ever loose a case.

Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by 38-72 View Post
    I have converted 100s of starline 32s to 25s. I use a very ligh coating of Imperial sizing wax.

1st, anneal the cases . 2nd , full length size in 32-20 die (mine are RCBS). 3rd, and this is important, lightly bell the case mouth, 4th, slowly resize the the case in the 25-20 die. I will lose about 3%.

My starline 32s, once resized to 25s, are several thousands short of listed 25 lengths. But the all work very well at match target shoots.
    Ok I will bite. Why bell the 3220 case if you are sizing it down to 2520??

I have thousands of both 3220 and 2520 cases so no need to resize! Yes, I had to be that guy. Lol

Boolit Man
    I finally had the best success using starline and other brass by
    1. Anneal case area to be reformed
    2. Full length size in 32-20 to uniform cases
    3. A 3/8” long plunge in a 22 hornet seat die
    4. A 3/8” long plunge in 22 hornet FL die
    5. A full length resize in a RCBS 25-20 die.
    Tried multiple case lubes all worked fine. Just use a very light amount.
    After 50 cases. I tried full hard starline cases just
    To test and 2 dozen reformed without issue.
    My earlier attempts with a Lee full length 25-20 sizer to finish were all some form of damaged with the vent hole in shoulder of the die taking its toll.
    The Lee dies worked fine for reloading just not for forming.
    There are many methods out there. This one worked well for me.
    Good luck. JS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast