RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another discarded dog

Boolit Master

another discarded dog

Another unwanted dog was dumped off on my road a few days after the big snow and record breaking freeze that began a couple weeks ago a skin and bones dog found a place to get out of the freezing wind on my back porch. this dog is a medium size looks like some sort of black and white collie mix. real timid, a total wimp, totally non aggressive, four of my six bravest cats sleep within a yard or two of it. the thing is ive got one dog I rescued from out in the woods and I dont want another dog. ive got plenty of pet food so its been regaining its strength and slowly starting to fill out again. I put a collar and leash on it a couple days ago and it became clear instantly it had never had a collar or leash before. and its a full grown dog. it twisted and pulled and slipped out of the collar. and wandered off for a little while but it keeps coming back and curls up on the porch. everyone around here that I know tells me I need to shoot it and be done with it. all of the local pet rescue or whatever places are overfull and cant take any more. I cant put a collar on it and take it to town with a big sign saying free dog. like I did with the last one that showed up. Im at a loss as to what to do with this one. Im not the kind of person that wants to put down a healthy unwanted pet and at the same time ive got enough on my plate and dont really want another

Moderator Emeritus

I have had dogs that slipped collars, a full body harness cured that.

Boolit Master
    That's a tough spot to be in.

We kinda have a feeling around here. When God sends an animal our way,, and it sorta adopts us,, we figure it's His way of offering us a gift. We try to make sure it's taken care of. yes,, we've occasionally had a few more than we THOUGHT we could handle,, but it all seemed to work out.

The dog chose you, he came to you for a reason. Give him a chance. Don’t shoot him if he’s as you describe.

I dunno where you're at, but if there is a population center anywhere close, there may be a shelter present where dog placement is quite successful.

I've noticed lately that rescue dogs are pretty common and popular; probably due to the increased cost of dogs in general. It used to be that taking a dog to the pound or even Humane Society was pretty much a death sentence. Doesn't seem that way anymore.

It might be that if you get this dog recovered a bit, there will be a "right person" come along and be adopted by him. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Another unwanted dog was dumped off on my road a few days after the big snow and record breaking freeze

We're far enough out of town that it happens here all too often.
    There's a humane society place near by that takes them in.
    Apparently there is a shortage of adoptable dogs up North and every so often a lot of them get shipped up there for adoption.

The Mrs. gets upset hearing about another stray that gets dumped off around here
    and asks me, "Why do people do that"?
    I tell her we must keep in mind that about 60% of the population is just trash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I have 3 dogs now and my dad has 4. Every single one has been a wandering stray that someone abandoned and they're all part of our family now. The most recent one is a black lab/bulldog mix that is as gentle as can be. My 9 year old son climbs all over him and hes right there tail wagging when I get home. Ive always said that dogs are better people than people. Even if it remains a yard dog, I say if at all possible, give it a home and a chance. Dogs have a way of showing their appreciation for being saved and may just surprise you. If not post it up on a various adoption forums and see if anyone bites.

Boolit Master

Bravo!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

your better giving charity, ie: dog food, to him than a stray person, at least the dog will appreciate and look after you. whats a little dog food cost, not much.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Well Bif, you've done a great thing! You will find, given time, that dog will give you much more than you gave him.
    Ps. If you're anywhere near Georgia I'll take him.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master
    I despise people who abandon pets. Winger nailed it...60% of the population are trash.

I am allergic to dogs but love them. I almost lost a friend due to a dog. He got the dog as a pup but did a poor job of training. The dog would wander off. Someone would complain and Animal Control would get the dog and then my friend would need to pay $20 to "get it out of jail". One day the dog was no more. It was less than 2 years old. He took it out and shot it. I never got the truth from him but I am good at math...2+2=4. He is "good Christian" and his wife is even "gooder".

A month ago, they got two new pups. One for him and one for his 28 YO daughter who lives with them. Hope the dogs make it.
    Don Verna

My son and dil are stray dog collectors. Gotta have hobbies I guess. Both have very full time jobs that they bring home every day. They also have a very busy 12 year old daughter. They spend [waste imo] a lot of their lives wrangling 5 of them, was 6 but they lost one 2 months ago. One at a time is plenty. I am dogless and have no interest in getting another. Had Weimaraners and a couple weimy mixes for most of my adult life. I refuse to be responsible for ignorant folk’s animals that they created but don’t want. I don’t think the Lord sends a dog to anyone but if you have a big heart and can afford it go for it, if not carry it to the vet and have it humanely put down. As Bob Barker always said, have your pets spayed and neutered.

Boolit Master

I feel for farmbif, I've been in those shoes several times here in rural Mississippi for the last 15 years on a county road where dirtbags passing through seem to enjoy throwing their litter and unwanted pets. Early on I put down a few that looked menacing. Still have 3 cats and a dog we took in. 2 cats live outside with all the comforts of home in an outbuilding and the latest a barely weened kitten now a year old is in the house at night cause the other 2 want to kill it!!!. At my age I find it impossible now to drop the hammer on some critter thats been abandoned.
    Our pet rescue in the area is doing a fine job. But, under financed and overworked volunteers makes it difficult.
    My solution that has worked is this: I show up with "the critter" with a large bag of food and a 100 dollar bill and I haven't been turned away yet. And for me.....I sleep at night and forego a couple trips to the fish camp that month.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Friend was just ranting about the interrogation The shelter gave him when he was trying to adopt the dog and the fees. He felt they didn’t want to anyone to adopt the dogs. I’m gone too often to have a dog, but I wouldn’t mind if a cat showed up.

Boolit Master
    Some people suck. If you can float the dog food, he will keep things away from your property. Cheap investment. I'm a dog guy anyways. I lost my English Bulldog Sugar a year and a half ago. Yesterday, my wife let me get another, a boy bully, who we named Dill Weed. Honestly, the people should be shot who dump animals, not the animals

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Another unwanted dog was dumped off on my road a few days after the big snow and record breaking freeze that began a couple weeks ago a skin and bones dog found a place to get out of the freezing wind on my back porch. this dog is a medium size looks like some sort of black and white collie mix. real timid, a total wimp, totally non aggressive, four of my six bravest cats sleep within a yard or two of it. the thing is ive got one dog I rescued from out in the woods and I dont want another dog. ive got plenty of pet food so its been regaining its strength and slowly starting to fill out again. I put a collar and leash on it a couple days ago and it became clear instantly it had never had a collar or leash before. and its a full grown dog. it twisted and pulled and slipped out of the collar. and wandered off for a little while but it keeps coming back and curls up on the porch. everyone around here that I know tells me I need to shoot it and be done with it. all of the local pet rescue or whatever places are overfull and cant take any more. I cant put a collar on it and take it to town with a big sign saying free dog. like I did with the last one that showed up. Im at a loss as to what to do with this one. Im not the kind of person that wants to put down a healthy unwanted pet and at the same time ive got enough on my plate and dont really want another
    We have a real problem on my wife's property of feral dogs. We haven't lost ant calves to them but our neighbors have. I shoot them when I see them, but the people who drop them off is the ones I want.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Special places in hell for people that abandon dogs
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I despise people who abandon pets. Winger nailed it...60% of the population are trash.

I am allergic to dogs but love them. I almost lost a friend due to a dog. He got the dog as a pup but did a poor job of training. The dog would wander off. Someone would complain and Animal Control would get the dog and then my friend would need to pay $20 to "get it out of jail". One day the dog was no more. It was less than 2 years old. He took it out and shot it. I never got the truth from him but I am good at math...2+2=4. He is "good Christian" and his wife is even "gooder".

A month ago, they got two new pups. One for him and one for his 28 YO daughter who lives with them. Hope the dogs make it.
    Good thing the daughter doesn't wander or get locked up.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Friend was just ranting about the interrogation The shelter gave him when he was trying to adopt the dog and the fees.

Depending on where you are, some people will get 'pound puppies'
    just to be killed in the training for fighting dogs like pit bulls.
    Here, the shelters try to get a read on people that might be doing that and they will be refused.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    The dog chose you, he came to you for a reason. Give him a chance. Don’t shoot him if he’s as you describe.
    so very true, dogs are like that they seem to know even before we do
    give the pup a chance you won't be sorry
    yes I also agree most people do not deserve to be people
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast