WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: $0.08 Primers

Boolit Master
    If you are short of primers, get the minimum that you need now.

In a few months and trying not to make this post political, the election race and other events will be in full force. Just no telling what demand will be for reloading components or even if a state of emergency gets called and also sorts of restrictions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I found WLP primers at Academy Sports for $8/100. I grabbed 10. No powder this time though. Academy Sports has done well lately for prices on primers & powder.
    Too much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If you are short of primers, get the minimum that you need now.

In a few months and trying not to make this post political, the election race and other events will be in full force. Just no telling what demand will be for reloading components or even if a state of emergency gets called and also sorts of restrictions.
    We think alike. I have established a minimum reserve for what may happen in the future. I will stop plinking and shooting for fun when I get to that level unless I can purchase more.

I have been tempted to acquire 10-20k of the primers (SA?) coming from Argentine and may do that. They have been as low as $50/k…so not too bad. 20k would give me another 4-5 years of supply.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Norma USA has large rifle primers at $89.99 a thousand with free shipping.

Eclipse_Free_Shipping
    Last edited by dagunnut; 04-08-2024 at 09:01 PM.

Clark sporting goods colville Washington cci small rifle #400 $69 per 1000 they federal and Winchester primers as well sp, lp, lr

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    SNIP>>>

I have been tempted to acquire 10-20k of the primers (SA?) coming from Argentine and may do that. They have been as low as $50/k…so not too bad. 20k would give me another 4-5 years of supply.
    A few months ago, I bought 4K of their SPP. Last week, I loaded 400 rds of 38 super. Those primers cycled through my safety primer and pressed in nicely as Winchesters. I fired a box of ammo with them in, no problems. I will be buying more, when they are back in stock.
    Back to the OP's title. I never thought I'd pay 0.08 for a primer, but last weekend at a gunshow, I bought a brick of CCI SPPM for $80, I was down to my last few hundred, due to loading 357M with W296. I did offset that purchase as same dealer had Alcan AL-8 for $15 a can, bought the 2 he had.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shaggybull View Post
    Clark sporting goods colville Washington cci small rifle #400 $69 per 1000 they federal and Winchester primers as well sp, lp, lr
    Makes a guy wonder ‘what is the true cost reloading supply stores pay for primers?
    The demand for primers is so high that nobody is going to sell them at or below cost. Nobody.
    At $69 / K, we can be sure Clark Sporting Goods is making a profit, their price would have to include shipping etc.
    That doesn’t make Norma’s price of $90 / K look good, even if their offer includes ‘Free’ shipping.
    My point is, if a brick and mortar store like Clark can make money at $69 / K, then Norma, Academy, Brownells, Midway, etc. can too.
    If and when we ever come out of this ‘shortage’ we ought to remember who the gougers were when we are replenishing our stock of components.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I found WLP primers at Academy Sports for $8/100. I grabbed 10. No powder this time though. Academy Sports has done well lately for prices on primers & powder.
    If you don't mind Mexican primers or buying 10,000 at a time you can get that price online. I have found that "Servicio Adventuras" or however that is spelled actually work just fine. I get 209 primers for about 6 cents each - as long as I don't mind them being French. Look up Precision Reloading for that deal

Almost all American made primers are going in loaded ammunition. And percussion caps are almost not being made at all.
    Last edited by 2TM101; 04-09-2024 at 11:52 AM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Mold
    i have a few boxes of Winchester wlp primers ( 1000ct) ill sell for $80@ bot i have no idea how to mail legally..you pay shipping

Boolit Buddy

Just bought a pile of primers out of an estate. $3/ 1000 12 K primers will hold me for awhile. Some look like they are 20 years old. I used to just sweep up live primers when they would fall on the floor with the dust and dirt and spent primers. They would just get dumped into the garbage. Now since primers are getting to be $7 and $8/ 1000 I carefully pick out the live primers and put em in a sardine can. Hopefully when all the wars are over the price of primers will drop.

Boolit Master

I’ve always been anal about losing primers. My reloading bench / area will never win the Better Homes & Gardens Neatness Award but I make a point of thoroughly brushing off the bench top and sweeping the floor before I prime / reload. I’ve also started placing my Auto Bench Primer on a sheet of paper towel and fill the primer holding tray over towels too. Then if a primer gets loose it doesn’t bounce off into another dimension.
    I typically pickup unfired rounds while cleaning up the range brass. Rather than taking a chance, I pull them down to salvage the projectiles, primers and some of the brass. If these are cartridges I reload I can leave the cases primed, add my powder charge and a bullet for plinking reloads. Otherwise I save the primers for reloading plinking / target loads. It may sound like a lot to go through but amounts to a couple thousand primers over a year.
    Surprisingly in almost five years not one of those salvaged primers has failed to fire.

Boolit Man
    I bought a couple bricks of Servicios primers through Norma. I have had a few per hundred produce FTF, but fire second time. I'm using a Hornady LnL for reloading and I'm starting to really pay attention to seating pressure to see if that will resolve my issue. I have that the FTF in two or three different guns so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I’ve always been anal about losing primers. My reloading bench / area will never win the Better Homes & Gardens Neatness Award but I make a point of thoroughly brushing off the bench top and sweeping the floor before I prime / reload. I’ve also started placing my Auto Bench Primer on a sheet of paper towel and fill the primer holding tray over towels too. Then if a primer gets loose it doesn’t bounce off into another dimension.
    I typically pickup unfired rounds while cleaning up the range brass. Rather than taking a chance, I pull them down to salvage the projectiles, primers and some of the brass. If these are cartridges I reload I can leave the cases primed, add my powder charge and a bullet for plinking reloads. Otherwise I save the primers for reloading plinking / target loads. It may sound like a lot to go through but amounts to a couple thousand primers over a year.
    Surprisingly in almost five years not one of those salvaged primers has failed to fire.
    I once found about 300 rounds in a dud can. It was clear that someone tried reloading and gave up. There were mis-seated primers, 380 rounds with 9 mm and other anomalies. I pulled them all down and reused the primers (either as they were or removed and reseated) and all went off.

Boolit Man
    I bought a couple bricks of Servicios primers through Norma. I have had a few per hundred produce FTF, but fire second time. I'm using a Hornady LnL for reloading and I'm starting to really pay attention to seating pressure to see if that will resolve my issue. I have that the FTF in two or three different guns so far.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Three weeks ago, at our local Academy store, I spied WLP 1k boxes, on the rolling cart in the aisle. Checking the price scanner, .............$39.90! WOW! Always check the thousand round boxes. ( think I posted this already in another thread,sorry). Got some now. CCI was 7.99 per hundred for spp. I check them regular, not for me, but to be able to steer others who might need some. Hopefully the prices will come down ,but, it’s not likely anytime soon, I’m afraid.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    Did the guns still have their original factory striker springs installed?

Boolit Man
    Did the guns still have their original factory striker springs installed?
    Yes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Makes a guy wonder ‘what is the true cost reloading supply stores pay for primers?
    The demand for primers is so high that nobody is going to sell them at or below cost. Nobody.
    At $69 / K, we can be sure Clark Sporting Goods is making a profit, their price would have to include shipping etc.
    That doesn’t make Norma’s price of $90 / K look good, even if their offer includes ‘Free’ shipping.
    My point is, if a brick and mortar store like Clark can make money at $69 / K, then Norma, Academy, Brownells, Midway, etc. can too.
    If and when we ever come out of this ‘shortage’ we ought to remember who the gougers were when we are replenishing our stock of components.
    I wonder that too. As a holder of a FFL for 35 years until just last month, I had access to true wholesale gun related items. Now the industry has pushed back hard against individuals with FFL's and no true store so I lost access to the BIG wholesalers quite a few years ago BUT the two that were still doing business with me until last month weren't selling primers or powder much cheaper than say Powder Valley. For instance, I'm looking at the last catalog I got and Federal SP are $61.90/1,000 if bought by the case. Federal SR are $82.50/1,000 again if purchased by the case. And this wholesaler charges way more for HazMat than the typical on-line retail source. $48 flat charge for HazMat. For another data point on what a gunshop might be paying for primers, I bought 10,000 Remington SP (1 1/2) in about January from the same wholesaler, and the advertised cost was $69.99/1,000. By the time they added HazMat, insurance, CC charge, etc my actual cost was $79.99/1,000.

Does anyone know if these primers will function in glocks with oem striker springs.
    Why would you think they would not. Lots of places in this world where they make small pistol primers and they are not made not to work. Right now up here we are getting SPP from Bosnia selling for $8.40 Cdn. In real dollars about $6.44/100. Fed, CCI and Remington are at $13/100 Cdn or $10.14US. Crazy pricing but I guess if they can get it primers won't be coming down anytime soon. I know we have a few wars consuming ammo but you would think SRP would be up but not SPP unless brass is up in price along with the chemicals to produce the primer compound is up in price. Could it be the cost of transportation? The whole process is so automated you would not think labour costs would be a big component.

Take Care

Bob
    ps I was not aware that primers could be sourced from Argentina. Bosnian, Ukrainian and Russia primers have been selling in our market for years. Obviously, we haven't seen Russian primers for the last couple of years due to sanctions. Primers from these three countries seem to work well. The Chronograph certainly cannot tell the difference from my experience. I would prefer CCI, Federal and Remington primers but not at 50% premium. They all seem to work.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Why would you think they would not. Lots of places in this world where they make small pistol primers and they are not made not to work. Right now up here we are getting SPP from Bosnia selling for $8.40 Cdn. In real dollars about $6.44/100. Fed, CCI and Remington are at $13/100 Cdn or $10.14US. Crazy pricing but I guess if they can get it primers won't be coming down anytime soon. I know we have a few wars consuming ammo but you would think SRP would be up but not SPP unless brass is up in price along with the chemicals to produce the primer compound is up in price. Could it be the cost of transportation? The whole process is so automated you would not think labour costs would be a big component.

Take Care

Bob
    ps I was not aware that primers could be sourced from Argentina. Bosnian, Ukrainian and Russia primers have been selling in our market for years. Obviously, we haven't seen Russian primers for the last couple of years due to sanctions. Primers from these three countries seem to work well. The Chronograph certainly cannot tell the difference from my experience. I would prefer CCI, Federal and Remington primers but not at 50% premium. They all seem to work.

Take Care

Bob
    Many small foreign companies load ammo for their governments that includes 9mm ammo used in open bolt firing submachine guns. Such primers can be harder. Some striker fired pistols more likely to have problems with hard primer ammo. That was the reason for my question.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234