Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an older polished Taurus

Boolit Buddy

Talk me out of an older polished Taurus

Well we've talked about this before on a 44 mag. I went to LGS and there lays a older polished Taurus in .454 casull. Price is $975 (also an H&R 32short for $200). Back to the Taurus, have the guys really gone that high? Looking at the newer sleeved raging series and newer 454 gun he's not too far out. Like I need a 454 as I have no use because it seems I actually spend more time on gun websites than with guns in my hands(just being honest) and I've yet to dial in the Taurus 44mag I purchased this past fall.

Talk someone out of buying a gun? There are some lines I just won't cross.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Bwahahahahahaha. True

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Yup. You are on your own. Currently considering two more (not Taurus) I don't need but that argument never works.

Boolit Buddy
    Then I have to buy all the reloading stuff too.

Boolit Master
    Not as bad as having all the reloading and casting stuff before having or building the launcher!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Then I have to buy all the reloading stuff too.
    That can be a deciding factor these days. I don't need anything but as long as I an able to get around I will see something I like. There are a couple things I would like now, they can be had in a caliber that I already load for.

Talk you out of a new gun, sorry, no help from from this side. Can I shoot it ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    That can be a deciding factor these days. I don't need anything but as long as I an able to get around I will see something I like. There are a couple things I would like now, they can be had in a caliber that I already load for.

Talk you out of a new gun, sorry, no help from from this side. Can I shoot it ?
    Sure if I get it. Looks like I'm not far from you.

Boolit Master

You always need, "just one more!"

I know no help!

Boolit Buddy
    It's hard to justify that kind of money for a Taurus and I own them. They may fall apart tomorrow but are working well now. Maybe too much internet chatter.

Boolit Master

Taurus burned their bridges with me back in the early 2000's. The shop I was working in at the time had to return a couple customer's revolvers to Florida, and rather than repair them, we were told that they were "irreparable" and the customer was given the option of buying a replacement at a discounted rate. So basically, the customer was out Ruger or S&W money without the benefit of owning a Ruger or S&W for their trouble - AND, California being California, they had a new serial number to register and wait ten days for.

I can only assume that process was due to customs delays in getting parts from Brazil to Florida, but it seemed like a really sleazy bait-and-switch on their widely-publicized Lifetime Warranty. As a result, our shop discontinued carrying the brand rather than further alienate our customers.

I've always said that even the best companies produce occasional duds, and what separates the good companies from the bad is how they handle their own mess. Perhaps Taurus' practices have improved in the last 20 years, but damage done on this kid - I wouldn't touch one with a thirty foot cleaning rod. Especially not for a thousand bucks, and especially not when Ruger wouldn't even care who the original owner was if it needed fixing.

I don't soapbox much, but I DO hold a grudge.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Taurus burned their bridges with me back in the early 2000's. The shop I was working in at the time had to return a couple customer's revolvers to Florida, and rather than repair them, we were told that they were "irreparable" and the customer was given the option of buying a replacement at a discounted rate. So basically, the customer was out Ruger or S&W money without the benefit of owning a Ruger or S&W for their trouble - AND, California being California, they had a new serial number to register and wait ten days for.

I can only assume that process was due to customs delays in getting parts from Brazil to Florida, but it seemed like a really sleazy bait-and-switch on their widely-publicized Lifetime Warranty. As a result, our shop discontinued carrying the brand rather than further alienate our customers.

I've always said that even the best companies produce occasional duds, and what separates the good companies from the bad is how they handle their own mess. Perhaps Taurus' practices have improved in the last 20 years, but damage done on this kid - I wouldn't touch one with a thirty foot cleaning rod. Especially not for a thousand bucks, and especially not when Ruger wouldn't even care who the original owner was if it needed fixing.

Some things just leave a sour taste in you mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Like I need a 454
    As Marlon Brando would have said in the movie "The Freshman" with Matthew Broderick when he was shocked
    and confronted Marlon B. for doing something illegal:

Brando would have said,
    "Need is such an ugly word. We try not to use it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I wouldn't try talking you out of buying one of the older polished ss revolvers! I had a friend, now deceased, who cherished a Taurus 44 Mag. 4" that he always brought along when we went shooting. He, I, and our third friend all agreed that it was a fine revolver, very well made, and accurate. A .454 Casull can also use .45 Colt, so there's another enticement.

Back in the '80s, as a dealer I sold many Taurus revolvers. Their Model 66 .357 was a good seller, and I never had one come back, but the difference in the tightness of the cylinder lockup compared to an S&W Mod. 19 was noticeable. There was cylinder wiggle on the Taurus, and none on the Smith. I had to phone Taurus about something unrelated, but mentioned it to their head man in the U.S.A. He was very interested and asked me why I thought that condition existed. I told him that I thought the cylinder locking bolts weren't fitted tightly enough to the cylinder locking slots. Probably because they paid the assemblers by piece work. I was a bit surprised a week later when I got a coin envelope full of locking bolts in the mail. I did fit a couple to new revolvers prior to their sale, and they were then as tight as Smiths. I've still got several of the parts. Later guns did not seem to have the problem. Like a lot of gun companies they went through a quality control episode that seemed to be corrected, and I don't hear many complaints about their products now days.

DG

Boolit Master
    I have several and had several Taurus revolvers and and find them serviceable. The biggest problem I had was weak cylinder lock bolt springs. They are not a S&W or a Ruger. One of the best 44 mag revolvers I have shot was a Taurus made back in the 90's. Personally I don't care for a 44 mag but I would have liked to have owned that one.

USMC 77, USRA 79

How about this!!!!

don’t do it!!!!!

Well, I tried.. I think you are asking the wrong group of guys…

I am on the hook for 3 guns I prolly could have lived without already this month… Butttt.. I wanted em…

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    It's not the gun it's the $975 for a Taurus. Yes it's .454 yes is the polished but...

Boolit Grand Master
    My experience with Taurus guns: If you get a good one, it will last. If you get a bad one, it will sour you on the brand for years. I've had both.

I will add that the only guns I have sold (other than a Stevens Miserable Loader) without a speck of seller's remorse were Tuarus/ Rossi guns.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in manufacturing. Stuff happens, it's how they take care of it that matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

This is the message I try to pass on to friends when they ask me about buying a Taurus.

Their business is built on planned obsolescence.
    They don't sell spare parts, so even what would be a simple fix is not. If the gun is discontinued, it's without factory support. At that point, it's basically a "metal discount coupon", if you send it back to the company.
    For all intent and purpose, a Taurus is no different, really, than all the other cheap, disposable products that you buy, use, and toss.

For $975 or $9.75, I don't want one. Too much junk cluttering up the house as it is!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast