Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've considered getting one. This is a video a friend did of our home town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrIc48-MUA
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Beautiful place to live, Waaksupi.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

For private use the requirements are minimal, fill out the registration form and pay the fee... for commercial use? Get red for red tape from hades!

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    completely false, anything that can be viewed from public property can be recorded and somebody could be sitting in their car on the street with a zoom lens and see what your doing on your dining room table if the circumstances are there. if you live on a hill, miles from a road then its a lot harder to do. drones can be good or bad just like a gun, depends on who is handling them.
    So if someone is looking into a private residence through a window using whatever device they choose including a drone or binoculars that's perfectly legal? I find that hard difficult to believe but perhaps I am wrong?

Boolit Master

do a google search for "frauditors" they are people who mostly film police and into their buildings and cars, police can not do anything about it as long as the person is on public property which a parking lot of a police station is, same rules for the general public, if you dont want somebody seeing in your home you have to use curtains. now a drone thats over your property and looking in your windows is not the same and you could make a case for trespassing or voyeurism, but if the drone is on the street just high up and looking in your 3rd floor windows they are legal
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    do a google search for "frauditors" they are people who mostly film police and into their buildings and cars, police can not do anything about it as long as the person is on public property which a parking lot of a police station is, same rules for the general public, if you dont want somebody seeing in your home you have to use curtains. now a drone thats over your property and looking in your windows is not the same and you could make a case for trespassing or voyeurism, but if the drone is on the street just high up and looking in your 3rd floor windows they are legal
    Ok, I see where I misunderstood. It's the difference between public and private property. Thank you.

I have a dji mini. I sync it with an iPad but it’s kinda the same as using it on a phone. It’s pretty awesome. Just some pictures of stuff around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I have a dji mini. I sync it with an iPad but it’s kinda the same as using it on a phone. It’s pretty awesome. Just some pictures of stuff around here.

Nice! I always enjoyed the perspective obtained from a drone. You just can't get there any other way by reasonable means.

It has nothing to do with attitude - it is just a simple fact that the drones are using public airspace, just like a helicopter or Cessna flying over people's properties and there is per law (in most states) no expectation of privacy from what these vehicles can see/take pictures of. I did not say that I think it is right, nor do I do it, even though I legally could... Feel free to try to shoot the messenger, but that would not change the facts

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    "Unless you live in a state that has specific regulations for drones, there is nothing illegal about taking pictures or videos of people on their property / in their houses. "

So, you are saying my expectation of privacy in my home no longer exist? Your sentence seems to say as much. This kind of attitude is why I have grown to hate the damn things.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Where did you get that from? As long as you are on public property, you can look at whatever you like and take pictures of whatever you like. The airspace the drones are allowed to fly in are considered "public", same as the public road or walkway - at least from the FAA point of view... states may have more restrictive definitions to protect privacy, but most states don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    You can't legally look in someone's windows so I'm pretty sure video or photographs from a drone wouldn't be legal, either.
    Last edited by Big Tom; 01-28-2024 at 05:50 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Perhaps this will be of use to clear up some confusion:

https://knowbeforeyoufly.org/knowbef...d/recreational
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Over on utube the Ukes drop 16 pound land mines. That is a lot of boom.
    They seem to have a lot of land mines.
    Or fly a RPG they have lots of those, too.
    I would only hope the idea doesn't spread.

Other utube idea was a mothership, a big drone carrying little drones for miles beyond their range.
    Mothership makes a RC repeater, eye in the sky.
    Last year the Rus set up an anti-drone battery.
    A drone blew it up.
    The world has changed, and not for the better.

Several years ago when drones first appeared, a dude attached a 1911 to the bottom of the drone with a solenoid operated trigger and videoed it flying around and banging away with the 1911. He posted the video. Not sure it was legal, but it was cool, if not scary as it could be.

Just glad he's not my neighbor. If I recall, his accuracy was abysmal. More spray and pray kind of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Several years ago when drones first appeared, a dude attached a 1911 to the bottom of the drone with a solenoid operated trigger and videoed it flying around and banging away with the 1911. He posted the video. Not sure it was legal, but it was cool, if not scary as it could be.

Just glad he's not my neighbor. If I recall, his accuracy was abysmal. More spray and pray kind of shooting.
    People post videos of themselves engaging in all manner of illegal activities. Many are now in prison. A place I've never been and plan to avoid.

I tend to watch people, but I see no reason to mimic the behavior of 99% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Where did you get that from? As long as you are on public property, you can look at whatever you like and take pictures of whatever you like. The airspace the drones are allowed to fly in are considered "public", same as the public road or walkway - at least from the FAA point of view... states may have more restrictive definitions to protect privacy, but most states don't.
    I prefer to err on the side of caution. Obviously you are free to do whatever you want.

Boolit Mold
    These guys have some free drone courses if you want to learn more. https://pilotinstitute.com/courses/drones/

Boolit Grand Master
    I've read that these new ones are really easy to fly.
    All computer controlled.
    I've played with those cheap toy flying machines.
    Not as easy as it looks.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I'd like to have one just to scope out unfamiliar public land areas instead of spending hours or days afoot.

Not interested in using it for locating any game animals, just to gather terrain and tree/ground cover information. I suppose I'd better contact my state conservation department before I try it though. Not interested in getting afoul of the law.
    That is why they are in my tool box all the time.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a used DJI Mini-II around the holidays because they look like a lot of fun. My house is inside the airport controlled area, so am waiting to take it out-the-road to fly it.

That said, years ago I downed a drone in my backyard that was moving from window-to-window of my house when drones were the rage and rules were lax. A great ex-CMP .177 air rifle is a handy tool. The kid flying it sheepishly came to get it and claimed that I had broken it, and I asked him to prove how since it fell in my yard. He said the video would show, except the SD card somehow went missing before he picked it up. A truly sad tale....
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

USMC 77, USRA 79

Every time somebody says the word “drone” we get all the same crud… heard it all many times… Now back to the OP’s original questions and reasons….

Take a peek…

A deer hunting area.

A trapping area…

This is a good tool.. here you go OP.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast