Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones

Boolit Grand Master

Drones

So I was thinking about getting a drone.
    Looks kind of fun.
    I don't have one of the stupid making phones, just an old flip phone.
    It does what I want it to do.......make phone calls only!!!!
    Found some drones what a screen on the controls, but they seem to be kind of expensive.
    Anyone play with these things????
    Know of cheaper "stand alone" drones???

Boolit Master
    I built all my own years ago. All open pilot. None use a phone. No good ones use a phone.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

It is not fun anymore - the government put so many, as usual, completely idiotic rules on that hobby, that it is expensive, almost more regulated than flying a single engine aircraft and they make you jump through hoops to get a drone compliant with their nonsense. If you get a drone, stay under the 0.55 lbs total weight that they set for registration, license requirement and many technical requirements that make the drone very expensive to get.
    It is another prime example of our government overreaching and limiting things without a real legal base - just because there is nobody going to sue the sh... out of them like we do with their infringements of the 2A...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

I've got one that you can put a phone on and see what it sees.
    But I don't have a phone to put on the control pad.

It does record on a little SD card to watch later though.
    Like a RC model airplane, it's fun to play around with, but ya need to keep it in sight.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I think they’re awesome and I want one, but I’ve been watching the videos on YouTube of the guy from Drone deer recovery getting hammered (fined and sued) by certain states and they’re outlining them for tracking down wounded deer. I figured it’s a great idea… but I guess if you find a deer that’s wounded and you go after it it’s like using it for hunting purposes so I understand there is a massive “gray area” on the subject versus finding a dead deer.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hello, my name is Marko, and I am a drone aholic. I believe I have at least 10 of multi manufactures… I believe there is a 12 step program for me somewhere..

That being said, PM me, and I will answer all your questions. I just love my DJI mini 3 pro with all in one controller. I have modified it to allow me to fly Miles away. It is a tool for me.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    It is not fun anymore - the government put so many, as usual, completely idiotic rules on that hobby, that it is expensive, almost more regulated than flying a single engine aircraft and they make you jump through hoops to get a drone compliant with their nonsense. If you get a drone, stay under the 0.55 lbs total weight that they set for registration, license requirement and many technical requirements that make the drone very expensive to get.
    It is another prime example of our government overreaching and limiting things without a real legal base - just because there is nobody going to sue the sh... out of them like we do with their infringements of the 2A...
    Many of those 'idiotic rules' have to do with controlling airspace. It is one thing to fly one in Wyoming, it is another to fly one in the DC suburbs. Most of those idiotic rules are a result of idiots flying drones in controlled airspace. Like in an airport landing pattern, for instance.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    . Most of those idiotic rules are a result of idiots flying drones in controlled airspace. Like in an airport landing pattern, for instance.
    There was some articles awhile back about prosecutions on perverts using them to spy on people
    through multi-story apartment windows and taking 'naughty' pictures.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Many of those 'idiotic rules' have to do with controlling airspace. It is one thing to fly one in Wyoming, it is another to fly one in the DC suburbs. Most of those idiotic rules are a result of idiots flying drones in controlled airspace. Like in an airport landing pattern, for instance.
    You have to add in the idiots that like to try a catch a glimpse of things they should not and invade others privacy. I'm not for a lot of rules and regs but if you are going to tell me I can't shoot one down hovering 50 feet above my barn then you better make it where it has to stay away from my barn.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive caught them around my house garage and cars. Not just around but with in feet of windows and doors. 3 different occasions......

Get a DJI MAVIC, it's what the Russians are using in ukraine.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

Now one that could carry a couple pounds would be interesting Drop a water balloon on my son or grandson when hes mowing the lawn.......

I'd like to have one just to scope out unfamiliar public land areas instead of spending hours or days afoot.

Not interested in using it for locating any game animals, just to gather terrain and tree/ground cover information. I suppose I'd better contact my state conservation department before I try it though. Not interested in getting afoul of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Not interested in using it for locating any game animals, just to gather terrain and tree/ground cover information. I suppose I'd better contact my state conservation department before I try it though. Not interested in getting afoul of the law.
    Couldn't hurt.
    Not too many years ago I knew a fella that got a big fat ticket for spotlighting along a state hi-way.
    He didn't even have a gun in the car either. He said he was checking out the area where he had a lease
    to see if it was worthwhile to come back and hunt in the day time.

It was a deal where he beat the rap, but not the ride.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    We have had several instances where some idiot was flying one in an area that was burning and this prevented the water bombers from flying to drop water on the fire. Legal or not, if my property is at risk, it is 12 gauge time!
    R.D.M.

Well, you would be surprised, but the "idiotic rules" actually protect flying over other people's properties. They give the drones the same protection as an airplane. Unless you live in a state that has specific regulations for drones, there is nothing illegal about taking pictures or videos of people on their property / in their houses. Here's an overview of current state wide regulations. I think that there was a discussion around this before - feel free to shoot down drones over your land, but make sure they don't catch you...

The "idiotic rules" I was referring to is for example that you cannot take pictures of your house or car from the drone and use these pictures for example in an advertisement to sell the car/house... or that you need to get a drone pilot license if your drone is above the 0.55 lbs weight... or that you now need a remote ID module that broadcasts location when in flight (without that, you are only allowed to fly in FAA pre-approved space, not even in your backyard... or the point that even the smallest drones / toys need to be registered with the FAA.

Bottom line is that yes, drones are cool, and it is possible (but pricey) to fulfill al legal requirements, but the times where you could get one and simply fly it (legally) are over....

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    You have to add in the idiots that like to try a catch a glimpse of things they should not and invade others privacy. I'm not for a lot of rules and regs but if you are going to tell me I can't shoot one down hovering 50 feet above my barn then you better make it where it has to stay away from my barn.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master

"Unless you live in a state that has specific regulations for drones, there is nothing illegal about taking pictures or videos of people on their property / in their houses. "

So, you are saying my expectation of privacy in my home no longer exist? Your sentence seems to say as much. This kind of attitude is why I have grown to hate the damn things.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont believe that protection allows them to break other laws, In ohio homeowners property lines go to 400' up. A drivers license gives you the right to be on the roasd not speed, be reckless, or use private drives trails or drive thru yards and fields.

You can't legally look in someone's windows so I'm pretty sure video or photographs from a drone wouldn't be legal, either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    You can't legally look in someone's windows so I'm pretty sure video or photographs from a drone wouldn't be legal, either.
    completely false, anything that can be viewed from public property can be recorded and somebody could be sitting in their car on the street with a zoom lens and see what your doing on your dining room table if the circumstances are there. if you live on a hill, miles from a road then its a lot harder to do. drones can be good or bad just like a gun, depends on who is handling them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast