Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Extra Low Cost options for volume shooting

Boolit Master
    Range report #2:

I took the gun back to the range after polishing on the chamber some.

I tried a bunch of stuff including going down to 1.76 gr and 1.5 gr of D032 with the 55 gr bullet. Lower power loads seemed like ignition may have been getting less consistent. Accuracy was not so good and I seemed to be getting vertical stringing.

I also tried some loads with 78 gr PC bullets and warmer charges of D032. A 2.76 gr charge (QL: 1138 fps @ 13680 psi) shot better than the low power load and gave me my best 5 shot group of the day. A 3.0 gr charge (QL: 1212 fps @ 16284 psi) shot similar. Both of these extracted easy and are doing some amount of fireforming.

After seeing the vertical stringing and the improvement with the warmer loads, I went back and fire a bunch of rounds with the 55 gr bullet over 1.76 gr of D032, but made a point of tilting the gun up just prior to firing. The groups size improved and the vertical stringing went away.

Right now accuracy is ok but not as good as I want it. I took the gun apart and drilled and tapped for the front sight. I think I will shoot it with open sights and fire form loads for a while. After I get a pile of fire formed brass, I will put the scope back on and try to find a more accurate load. If things do not improve, I may make a chamber reamer and re-cut the chamber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 ELC with Front sight.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	322957

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 ELC - 78 target.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	322958

Boolit Master
    Texas by God has a post going about reform 256WIN from 357 mag brass. I know I said previously that I didn't want to use my 38 brass. A shortened 256 win on 38 special brass may be every thing I am looking for. Cheap case, easy to form (according to TBG), 25 caliber may be big enough to cast with my inexperience and fat busted up fingers, light powder charge. I love this forum and the crafty people that can overcome just about any problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Texas by God has a post going about reform 256WIN from 357 mag brass. I know I said previously that I didn't want to use my 38 brass. A shortened 256 win on 38 special brass may be every thing I am looking for. Cheap case, easy to form (according to TBG), 25 caliber may be big enough to cast with my inexperience and fat busted up fingers, light powder charge. I love this forum and the crafty people that can overcome just about any problem.
    ebb,
    If I wanted to travel this road, I would opt for the .30 Badger. There will be negligible savings in powder and lead with a .25 cal and a more issues with accuracy and "fiddling". The .30 cal. will be easier to form as well.

I looked really hard at the .30 Badger a few years ago but could not justify building a gun for it. It did not "pencil out" for me. I was plinking with 125 gr .38 Spls and 2.8 gr of powder. Back then lead was $1/lb, powder was $25/lb but primers were under $20/k. I would have to shoot a lot of rounds to break even by saving 1 gr of powder and 30 gr of lead over the .38's.
    Don Verna

There has been at least one thread here in years past touting the .25 ACP. Nothing to modify, just load and shoot. My problem would be getting any of my powder measures to accurately deliver a charge that small.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    There has been at least one thread here in years past touting the .25 ACP. Nothing to modify, just load and shoot. My problem would be getting any of my powder measures to accurately deliver a charge that small.
    Yeah, might be easier to use a scoop for that one.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234