Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another mini lathe question

Boolit Master
    When I bought my Harbor Freight mini lathe several years ago I already had a Grizzly 9x19 lathe. I can't imagine being without the mini now; I use it far more than the 9x19. I think any serious reloader needs a mini lathe.
    No need to extend the bed either. The small size is part of what makes it so useful.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr Wolf,

Lots of good points here on options, but I it sounds like you are in a position where you are considering the HB lathe is your only practical option. It also appears that you have little or any lathe experience. Unless buying this lathe is going to be a financial hardship I'd say go for it. Is this the best lathe in the world; obviously not and it has many limitations, but you can learn from it and decide if you want to dive deeper into the pool and upgrade when that happens. I don't see a lot of these for sale used, so that tells me that most folks aren't real unhappy with them. If you decide you don't like it, I would guess you could easily sell it for 70% or more than what you will be paying, especially given the discount you are getting up front.

I have an older model of this lathe, which I bought used many years ago. I also have a very old Atlas. Is the HB unit as good? Absolutley not, but it does a good job within its limitations. Plus, the new price on these have doubled since I got mine, so I could easily sell it today for much more than I paid for it. Small motor, yes, but feed and speed will make it work.

Hopefully you buy this unit and enjoy it so much and get so deep into the lathe rabbit hole, but you will want to upgrade soon, but you probably won't know to do that without starting somewhere, and sounds like the HB unit is your only somewhere.

Something I learned many years ago is that many Asian companies make different quality grades of the same basic product, to meet the demand of the buyers. Some buyers want to compete on quality, some on price alone. I had an American company as a client back in the '70s who did the same thing for Sears, making table saws. The good ones were Craftsman, the cheap ones were "Sears".

Draw yer own conclusions.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

The overseas suppliers build to several levels. I suspect it more thru sorting parts than holding tolerances. They get a run of cross slides that are dead on they are set back for carriages that are also dead on. Ect ect ect. They may have several grades. They also will build to the customers specs.We got starter parts from Korea but they were built/machined to our blueprints, same as the parts from other suppliers.

I agree one of the older small industrial machines may be better but the time to find one and cost makes them a little restricted. Also the little Atlas, South Bends, Logans, Sheldons and the likes are getting hard to find parts for. Those small atlas south bends while now considered "hobby" machines were also when new were industrial machines. We had several 6" atlas lathes in the plant in different areas for doing repairs.
    Yes most of the mini lathes are wanting for power may need to fiddle fuss for accuracy, but given better gearing and a larger motor and tighter tolerances they would be above the price point of the hobbyist.
    I think I gave just under $500 for my HF 7 x 10 with the tool package. My Nardinni tool room 14/16 x 40 at 25 years old was $5000.00 with tooling and read out. It also required movers to bring it in at 3000 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

Just got my e-mail from grizzly and they have their micro mini and other lathes on sale now.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Just got my e-mail from grizzly and they have their micro mini and other lathes on sale now.
    I saw them too. I am going to take yours and others advice and get the HF one to practice on. I will put together a list of tooling and run it by you folks to see if I am getting what was suggested. Lot cheaper finding out if my back/neck can handle it with the HF and if so getting a larger lathe after I have learned a bit. Actually picking it up in a few hours on my way to having three more MRI's done. I get to be in that machine for a few hours straight. Yea...
    I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Its no fun getting those mri my last one was head neck orbs and spine with and with out dye. little over 4 hours in the machine. the new open ones are better.

When you get into the machines with quick change and power feeds it gets easier you set them up and watch them work.

Boolit Grand Master

Do your first few projects in plastics and or wood you will learns the basic seat up, getting tool height correct, and such plus any opps or over enthusiastic cuts will be easier on you and the machine.

Big thing with the machine pick up a pair of safety glasses. Dont wear gloves while operating the machine. Roll shirt sleeves up. No ties or necklaces. No watches or rings. Read the manual the minis may have a very ordered starting procedure and shut down also. Above all be safe and go slow. Pick up and extra pack of fuses.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Good site.

I haven't mentioned it yet. Get a compact vacuum to gather up chips.

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cobbled up a flat snoot which gets under the bed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat snoot.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	322803

Never, never use compressed air. (When I was a rebuilder, we joked that the air gun was the rebuilder's best friend.) A couple of stiff sash brushes also help a lot.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Thanks for the link. I started reading it already.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Its no fun getting those mri my last one was head neck orbs and spine with and with out dye. little over 4 hours in the machine. the new open ones are better.

When you get into the machines with quick change and power feeds it gets easier you set them up and watch them work.
    Almost two hours total in the machine. Was my first time in an open MRI. Easier than the regular machines. Guy knew I had them before by how I was dressed and prepared. I hate the cold and had thermals on and a pair of gloves. Yea, I know but remember this is a family site when you post your reactions.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Good site.

I haven't mentioned it yet. Get a compact vacuum to gather up chips.

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cobbled up a flat snoot which gets under the bed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat snoot.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	322803

Never, never use compressed air. (When I was a rebuilder, we joked that the air gun was the rebuilder's best friend.) A couple of stiff sash brushes also help a lot.
    Thanks. Just ordered one.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Almost two hours total in the machine. Was my first time in an open MRI. Easier than the regular machines. Guy knew I had them before by how I was dressed and prepared. I hate the cold and had thermals on and a pair of gloves. Yea, I know but remember this is a family site when you post your reactions.
    They looking for stenosis, or ?????
    Cognitive Dissident

I work mine seated in a swivel chair. I wear a woodworker's apron, with the hem stuck to the underside of the table with magnets, to collect all the chips that land in my lap. Also captures small parts that try to escape over the edge and onto the floor. (Learned this from a jeweler.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

They looking for stenosis, or ?????
    Long story short. Hurt my back 30 years ago and herniated a cervical and thoracic disc. Was told the thoracic was pretty hard to do and only the 2nd one in 15 years the neurologist had ever seen. My luck. Normal life damages for the next 20 years then slipped at work on some construction plastic. Exasperated everything. Out on disability pension and SS Disability. Had L4-5 done four years ago to get me walking right after much begging to surgeon as it was only a 50/50 chance. It worked. After that my ability to sit, stand, etc severely decreased (not surgery fault) and I feel due to hip region. Have to go to a pain doc in VA (WV Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants can't write an Rx for narcotics) every month who are basically worthless. I finally had to file my own appeal for the MRI's. I basically have more bad disc's than good with a genetic narrowing of the canal. Hopefully get the readings today and it will be something that can be addressed. Pain is so bad I couldn't go to my Brother's funeral this summer about four plus hours away. I am still better off than a lot of folks so...

I'm with ya, bro. 6-7 years ago stenosis set in, L3 to L5 as it turned out. 2019 had laminectomy done, but 50% of the pain remained. Since then it's been steroid injections, epidurals, nerve ablations, you name it. Nothing does much. "Gettin' old ain't for sissies" used to be funny. Not no more.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

I'm with ya, bro. 6-7 years ago stenosis set in, L3 to L5 as it turned out. 2019 had laminectomy done, but 50% of the pain remained. Since then it's been steroid injections, epidurals, nerve ablations, you name it. Nothing does much. "Gettin' old ain't for sissies" used to be funny. Not no more.
    Really frustrating part is I just want to be able to drive about five hours straight to see my kids in Philly and Jersey shore area. Just read the reports and will be calling my neuro surgeon for an appointment. Who knows maybe they can do something. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Ron

I hope the last couple of posts explains to everybody why we're both in need of a really small machine that can be worked while seated in an office chair, legs under the desk.
    Cognitive Dissident

I just saw a video on the primer MeWe site where a guy was trying to show the dangers of machining titanium. (fire)
    He flipped on the lathe and the chuck key went flying across the room, he didn't even pause and went on giving his demonstration like this is a common everyday occurrence.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast