WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen Wrench Organization

Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 sets of flip out(metric and standard), 2 sets in the plastic holders(metric and standard), and a drawer full of loose ones LOL some of the loose ones have the short end cut off to about 1/2 inch long to fit tight spaces(some of the electronics I work on has impossible to reach set screws using full length, talked to a factory tech, he said they cut them off too...)

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - Reground / Rehardened Allen wrenches make small boring bars......

Boolit Master
    EVENTUALLY - GONRA miked 'em all, stored in small labeled envelopes in a drawer.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez - Reground / Rehardened Allen wrenches make small boring bars......
    Ouuhhh, Going to use this genius idea.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

I have a few on a tiny magnet but mostly use one slide out plastic parts drawer. Going through them takes a small amount of time but worth it to always find one and no mess

My sorting is one zip lock by the mill, one zip lock by the lathe, one on the assembly bench, with the tiny ones for triggers, etc in two snap flap clear plastic holders. Then I have three Chapman sets. Then a drawer with broken drivers and bits to be reground. I have two of those fold out parts bin uprights on the assembly bench wall. When I turn the lights out, I am sure they reproduce.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    My sorting is one zip lock by the mill, one zip lock by the lathe, one on the assembly bench, with the tiny ones for triggers, etc in two snap flap clear plastic holders. Then I have three Chapman sets. Then a drawer with broken drivers and bits to be reground. I have two of those fold out parts bin uprights on the assembly bench wall. When I turn the lights out, I am sure they reproduce.
    You are wrong, they do not need the lights out for them to reproduce,
    You only need to turn your back, or glance away for a moment.
    There is a complication that only the one you need the most does not reproduce.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Don’t use the ball end to tighten a set screw in a pulley, it will break off and cause a problem if you need to remove the pulley!
    I learned this the hard way!

Put them in plastic baggies, all sorted and stick in a tool drawer.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

I took a hint (?)from the Dillon tool set which I purchased to complement my 550b which has the "L" bend of each Allen wrench dipped in a coloured plastic -- Dillon blue, of course. At a Dollar Store I picked up a bag of six different coloured rolls of electric tape. Mathematically, six factorial (6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1) gives waaaay more combinations (720, to be exact) than wrenches I have, so I took RED tape out -- reserving this colour for METRIC Allen wrenches.
    I put a wee roll of first colour in short part of the Allen wrench and the second and third on the long. I end up with an Allen wrench equivalent of colour codes used on resisters in electronic use.
    Works for me... I had initially thought of -- e.g., again, Dillon -- painting on the colours but I was sure this would be less easy and more costly. And -- if I "screw up" -- which I've done a few times both with tiny ones as well as Metric (e.g., 1.2, 1.5 and similar metric sizes) it's so easy to remove and reapply new tape.
    An important note is I did not, nor have plans to do ALL my wrenches. AS I need one I use the already labeled ones; none found, I then seek and search, and upon success (Murphy Law generally has it as a last choice ) label with tape and add it to my active use collection.
    Re storage I have a bunch of teeny rare earth magnets on the cross members of my over-bench lamp, and have the said Allens on these, in order from smallest to largest.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a board with holes drilled in for arraigning. I have sets and those "jack-knife" types in SAE, metric & Torx, too. Gun cases have them set within for scope tightening and just about anywhere they are needed. Cleaning BP rifles get their own, too.

Boolit Master
    "Allen Wrench Organization"
    I haven't heard of one but if we start one we could name it after you.
    "The Association of Allen Wrench Hoarders" WV-President
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    +1 on Gonra!
    Grind off the L
    Heat the end redhot flatten it like a rivet
    Spin it in the dremel against a stone until sharp.
    Sometimes it even makes little teeth.

An Organization for guys named Allen Wrench? Who’d a thunk. I have dedicated 3 drawers in my reloading room bin for the ones in the house. Big, medium and small. They’re all mixed up in my machinists toolbox in the shop though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to be a machinist so I have a ton of them
    put them all in a tool box drawer and look for them when I need one
    I got pretty good at grabbing the one I needed first time so that is how I organize them
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a magnetic strip it's 12-14inches long, at Harbor freight for $3 and have my allen wrenches on that. It also has tabs with holes for mounting.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several sets of Allen wrenches that are of the 'fold into their handle' variety, don't need to sort. Have both metric and standard. Also have about 20 lbs of assorted singles in a coffee can in case I ever need them.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

I throw all the orphans in a peanut butter jar and use them for special projects or what have you.
    I can always pitch them out, but when I do, that is when I find a use for them.

Boolit Master

If I’m burying something of value in the backyard I cover it with four inches of dirt then throw a bunch of old Allen wrenches in the hole and finish filling it with dirt. I can find what I buried later with a metal detector. Anyone else can too, but when they hit a pile of rusty Allen wrenches they’ll give up.

Dad had a precisely drilled wooden holder for them, mounted on the tool board above the work bench. It was empty most of the time, we kids didn't bother. Tool board had each tool outlined on it too. Like that worked either.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast