MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Anyone know where to get a set of bolt bending blocks?

Boolit Master

Anyone know where to get a set of bolt bending blocks?

I have a set I have misplaced and in serious need of them. 2 months ago I was on Numrichs and saw them for sale, but for the life of me I can not find them now, they were used, $25. Anyone Have a set they are willing to part with, or know of another place to buy them?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Thanks Pietro, but none of those links had the blocks for sale, just talking about them or a punch to go with them.

Boolit Man
    Aluminum?????? Hmm. I will take a photo of mine and post. My 4-pound hammers will take a toll on aluminum.

I have a set (steel), but they are going to the grave with me.

Steel bending blocks are not that difficult to make if you have a vertical mill.
    Last edited by Stockcarver; 01-27-2024 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I assume you are talking about bolt handle bending?? Brownell used to have them. I seriously considered getting some to do a Mauser project but so far have never gotten around to it. Partly because of the ever-increasing scarcity of short chambered barrels for cartridges I'm interested in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brownell's is where I bought mine a few decades ago. Good luck finding them on their website though.

I found that I would rather cut the old handle off and weld on a new one. The blocks do help as a heat sink at least. I still wrap the locking lugs with a wet cloth, I really don't want a bolt to let go.

Robert

Boolit Master

My blocks are aluminum but I have not used them in years. I prefer to cut the bolt handle off and weld it back on or weld a new one on. The frame also needs to be relieved for the new or altered bolt.

Boolit Man
    Yep, welding on a new one is the best way to go. You obtain a better-looking handle that is well proportioned. There is a recent bolt welding thread over on the AR site, take a look, it is excellent with lots of photos.

But, back at the farm, below are photos of mine. It was made way back when Mausers were stuffed in barrels at about every gun and surplus shop at a price of about $20 each. Everyone in my dad's extended family wanted a Mauser bolt handle bent.

The parts. Blocks have holes for '93 and '98's. The 4 pins are different sizes, and one is inserted in the bolt body, so you do not crush the bolt body.

Blocks. Note the alignment dowels.

The "bender". Held with the groove against the bolt handle, after the bolt stem is heated red hot, end of bender hit with a nice size handle.

This darn thing was lost under my Dad's work bench way down in the Georgia swamps. When he passed I collected tools and transported them in a rental truck way up to the Pacific Northwest.
    Last edited by Stockcarver; 01-29-2024 at 08:19 PM.

You should have a threaded heat sink insert for the bolt body. Then you heat the bolt handle with a oxy acetylene torch to bright red hot, before you bend and sweep the bolt handle. If properly heated, the handle bends quite easily on a Mauser.
    I bought my iron blocks and heat sink in 62.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers